Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

3rd string is always your development guy. Vet back up doesn't come here to sit 3rd on the chart. If you get a guy like Lulay or Glenn, they're #2 with a bullet. Ready to step off the bench at a moments notice... 

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

3rd string is always your development guy. Vet back up doesn't come here to sit 3rd on the chart. If you get a guy like Lulay or Glenn, they're #2 with a bullet. Ready to step off the bench at a moments notice... 

Vet is still technically #2 but I would expect Davis to get short yardage and some garbage time

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

They could always get a retread similar to a LeFevour ,  Crompton,  Gale as a 2nd if they are available....

Crompton has been out for so long it's hard to believe he's still a viable option, he hasn't played in a game since early in 2015.

Samson could have told him "Dude, don't let them cut your hair, it really sucks."

4 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Lulay's a Grey Cup winner who's probably got some game left and he's on a contract that lets the Lions pay Jennings like a starter.  Doesn't seem like a guy Wally would part with, although Wally is known for being a little ahead of the curve on cutting veterans.

I do like that ginger, but he's one wicked hit away from his career ending. He's Buck Pierce 2.0 basically...

I read an article the other day about the Riders trying to or should go after Lulay.  Wally flat out said he's not going anywhere.

I believe the Bombers will go with Davis as #2 and a rookie at #3 to develop. 

I don't know if Davis is the answer, haven't really seen a lot of him, but I have a feeling that the organization trusts that Davis can carry the load at #2, and would prefer to spend the extra cash to improve other areas.

How long does a guy have to be the #3 before he can be trusted as the #2? At some point you have to trust that your coaching staff has done their work and got the guy ready to play. The guy can't be a developnent project forever. 

I think a vet backup is good to have when you have a young QB who is a new starter.

Also, when was the last time a backup QB won the Grey Cup? I don't believe Ottawa wins the cup last year with Harris. The league has become so competative that it would be very difficult to win it all with a backup. Your best bet is to win with your number 1 guy, so do your best to keep him clean. 

36 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

I read an article the other day about the Riders trying to or should go after Lulay.  Wally flat out said he's not going anywhere.

I believe the Bombers will go with Davis as #2 and a rookie at #3 to develop. 

I don't know if Davis is the answer, haven't really seen a lot of him, but I have a feeling that the organization trusts that Davis can carry the load at #2, and would prefer to spend the extra cash to improve other areas.

How long does a guy have to be the #3 before he can be trusted as the #2? At some point you have to trust that your coaching staff has done their work and got the guy ready to play. The guy can't be a developnent project forever. 

I think a vet backup is good to have when you have a young QB who is a new starter.

Also, when was the last time a backup QB won the Grey Cup? I don't believe Ottawa wins the cup last year with Harris. The league has become so competative that it would be very difficult to win it all with a backup. Your best bet is to win with your number 1 guy, so do your best to keep him clean. 

Looking forward to the day the Bombers show enough confidence in their own scouting, recruitment and development to run with their own horses.  I'm fine with Davis at number two,  McLeod Bethel-Thompson at number three or even picking Bryan Bennett  back up on the rebound after Jones slips him the shiv during TC. 

The Stamps didn't get where they are today by relying on F.A. and table scraps left behind by other teams.  For the most part they've recruited and developed their personnel from within and have been remarkably successful for over a decade.  Hopefully the Bombers can someday follow this model and attain the same consistency as the Stamps.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Nichols goes down & we have to rely on an unproven backup it could be a disaster which is why the Bombers need a veteran backup. Can't risk a 14-4 season turning into a 4-14 season.

Ricky Ray goes down and and Zach Collaros, who only played in one regular season at that point, steps in and was successful.

Lulay goes down and Jennings steps up and takes the job.

I know those are only two examples, but it's not impossible to have success.

The coaching staff and management must see something in Davis, if they believe he can be a #2, or else why bring him back. But because he doesn't have game reps he'll never be any good?

54 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Looking forward to the day the Bombers show enough confidence in their own scouting, recruitment and development to run with their own horses.  I'm fine with Davis at number two,  McLeod Bethel-Thompson at number three or even picking Bryan Bennett  back up on the rebound after Jones slips him the shiv during TC. 

The Stamps didn't get where they are today by relying on F.A. and table scraps left behind by other teams.  For the most part they've recruited and developed their personnel from within and have been remarkably successful for over a decade.  Hopefully the Bombers can someday follow this model and attain the same consistency as the Stamps.

4472108.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

Ricky Ray goes down and and Zach Collaros, who only played in one regular season at that point, steps in and was successful.

Lulay goes down and Jennings steps up and takes the job.

I know those are only two examples, but it's not impossible to have success.

The coaching staff and management must see something in Davis, if they believe he can be a #2, or else why bring him back. But because he doesn't have game reps he'll never be any good?

You really think it's that easy? The coaching staff saw something in Robert Marve & Brian Brohm in 2015 too.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Nichols goes down & we have to rely on an unproven backup it could be a disaster which is why the Bombers need a veteran backup. Can't risk a 14-4 season turning into a 4-14 season.

I don't think Davis resigns with us if he wasn't told he'd be #2 going into camp. He's been here what 3 years now? I don't think the Bombers will be signing any vet QB's until they have too...ie Nichols goes down for an extended period. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You really think it's that easy? The coaching staff saw something in Robert Marve & Brian Brohm in 2015 too.

No I don't think it's easy. However, I do think that if the organization is doing their job properly, a guy should be ready to be a backup in his third season in the league and on his second contract. The scouting staff has to identify the right player, GM needs to bring that player in, and the coaching staff has to make sure they are ready to go when their number is called.

Like I've said, I don't know if Davis is the answer, but how long does a guy have to be around to be considered a viable backup?

Looking at the QBs around the league it seems like somewhere around year 2 or 3 they were given an opportunity to play and they ran with it. If you surround a new QB with crap, like the 2013 Bombers, yeah there is little chance for him to succeed. If he's actually put in a spot where he has a chance to succeed, he may surprise you. Spend the extra money it would cost to bring that experienced backup QB, to make your team better and to keep your staring QB clean, he's your best chance to win. If he does go down, the next guy up has a chance to succeed.

Travis Lulay – Started games in year 2, became full time starter in year 3.

Jonathon Jennings – starter midway through first year.

Mike Reilly – Starter Year 3 in the CFL.

Bo Levi Mitchell – saw action in year 2, became full time starter in year 3.

Darian Durant – 1 year on the PR, 1st year on active roster he was a backup, 2nd year saw playing time, 3rd year he was named the starter.

Zach Collaros – Became a successful starter in his second year, due to an injury to Ricky Ray.

Kevin Glenn – Became a starter in his fourth season.

Trevor Harris – starter, due to injury, after 3 years in the CFL.

Henry Burris – started games in his third year, until he suffered season ending injury. He then became a full time starter in his fourth year.

Matt Nichols – He started games in his second year, and was thought to be the next starting QB, until season ending leg injury. He then tore his ACL in preseason the following year. He started a number of games in every season.

Drew Willy – He was named the starting QB in Winnipeg in his third year in the CFL.

Ricky Ray – started games in his first year, due to an injury to Maas, and led the Eskimos to Grey Cup appearance.

Just to get back to the Stafford signing for a minute, there was a report by Dunk yesterday that has been flying under the radar a bit.

He stated yesterday that the quartet of Adams, Stafford, Dressler and Smith will make a combined 565k this year. That is an average of 142k per receiver in that group. Let's do the math based on believed current contract values....

Dressler - 170k

Smith - 150k

Adams - 170k

Total: 490k

Therefore, if Dunk's 565k number is accurate, we are paying Kenny Stafford 75k this year for his services. If that is correct, I retract my objection to us signing him. He's worth the 75k gamble.