Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

For the vast majority of the past 25 years it's hard to argue we have done things right. Just saying...

you mean the era that gave us the likes of blink, milt, doug brown etc? We should have won 2 grey cups easily in that time. Over the last 25 years weve had teams with among the best offenses and defenses in that era. Other teams have won cups in the last 25 years but seen much worse decision making. 

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎27 at 11:18 AM, Noeller said:

Sometimes you can do all the things right and still not win a GC, y'know......... the whole "vast majority of 25 years we did things wrong" is just bullshit.

Jeff Reinbold, Lyle Bauer cheaping out, Joe Mack.....that's not bullshit. That really happened whether you like it or not. You find me some positives to spin in any of that. For clarity, I was talking about on field performance and you would have to be homerific to suggest that we have been successful as an aggregate over the past 25 years. In fact, you would have to be stupid to suggest that but you keep riding the good ship lollipop if you want to Noeller. I am not TBurg that just makes negative comments at every turn, save your indignation for him.

Edited by gcn11

We were a plus .500 team 9 times since 1990 (92-94, 2001-03, 07, 11 and 16). I'd call those successful years. We've only made the playoffs once in the last 5 years. That's not a lot of success IMO. The early 90's were a continuation of our success in the '80s, when we were +.500 8 out of 10 years  and we never missed the playoffs. Now that was successful time for the Bombers, but it was a very long time ago, before a lot of people around here were even born.

but again better than .500 is an arbitrary number as well and doesn't tell the whole story. For example, Doug Berrys first season isn't in your list of .500 or better seasons but they did things right that year. The Bombers problems stem from the fact that they would often make a mistake and then double down by making an even bigger mistake following it. For example, firing Ritchie was premature, going with Jim Daley immediately after was an even bigger mistake that set things back. Firing Berry was premature but hiring Mike Kelly immeidately afterwards was an even bigger mistake and set things back more. you see the point. But they did some things correctly and just didn't win as well. 

No stats tell the whole story and success can be measured in different ways. Lots of folks on these boards have never seen a truly successful Bomber team, where success is measured in years, not 7 game win streaks. The last time we even had 2 winning seasons in a row was about 15 years ago in '02-03.

From 1975 thru to 1996, the Bombers missed the playoffs once. That's what real success looks like and what I grew up with.  (I started watching in the 60's got seasons tickets in the mid-70's) They didn't win a GC until '84, but they were still successful. We expected them to win every home game and were bummed if they didn't.

You keep saying that we fired Ritchie too soon. He was 2-5 and the last 3 games weren't even close (48-17,41-24,49-27). Change was needed. I can't remember if there was anyone else available other than Daley who kinda turned the team around at 4-5 for the rest of the year. 

Ritchie is the only previously successful HC we hired to turn the team around since '99. Our mistake has been hiring newbies and crossing our fingers, hoping they can turn the team around. Berry had the best record of that bunch at .509 and Kelly (.389), idiot or not, is still ahead of O'Shea (.333). 

yeah cause no one ever comes back from a start like 2-5 right? The point is if you fire a proven guy like Dave Ritchie you don't put a ***** like Jim Daley in place, you get someone better in. That's how you build, firing someone decent and putting in a worse option just sets you back years. Really the team got into problems post Ritchie and Berrys time was essentially .500 give or take a few wins which considering they were supposed to be repairing that hole they were in seems like they were doing something right, now going on from that to a moron who took an axe to the teams roster and left a smoking crater set the team back even further and it's only just now that the damage is seemingly repaired to the point where a couple key injuries don't torpedo the team. That tells me that the Walters and O'Shea regime has been doing things right even if the results weren't manifesting itself until this past season. 

You are trying to make this black and white but not looking at the context of why records were or weren't better than .500. Context always matters. 

Context? 2-5 with the other team hanging 40+ points on you 3 times in a row isn't just going to be 'turned around'. The point is that DR was never a CFL HC again so there wasn't any other CFL team that thought he was the guy to turn their team around. 

Berry is the only coach who I think was prematurely fired. At least they did it in the off season when they had options for HC. Hiring an inexperienced HC was the problem. A mistake they'd repeat again and again.

I'm simply don't call 1 and done after making the playoffs for the first time in 5 seasons successful. My 'bar' for success is higher than that.

Loved Richie, but...       frankly, he didn't like giving playing time to the younguns, and eventually the vet players were checking out on him.   Lyle Bauer wanted somebody who he would not knock heads with.   Just before a western swing, Richie publicly begged his vets to step forward (and save his job).   They proceed to get bombed in Calgary and Edmonton, looking pretty inept in the process....and that was all she wrote for Dave.

But the point is well taken, that firing guys was one thing.....but replacing them with vastly inferior people, was another.   We have a pretty dismal track record, in that regard..... 

Edited by do or die

Stability.

For the 1st time..in a long time, we appear to have stability in the organization. For the 1st time..in a long time, we can look forward to the upcoming year, without so many question marks.

Do we ignore the past? Of course not. 

But to dwell on it, when things are looking up, is equally unproductive. And it has nothing to do with an individual's own personal bar settings.

I don't think the current staff of the WFC have any other thoughts than to set the bar as high as possible...and then try to reach those expectations.

53 minutes ago, do or die said:

Loved Richie, but...       frankly, he didn't like giving playing time to the younguns, and eventually the vet players were checking out on him.   Lyle Bauer wanted somebody who he would not knock heads with.   Just before a western swing, Richie publicly begged his vets to step forward (and save his job).   They proceed to get bombed in Calgary and Edmonton, looking pretty inept in the process....and that was all she wrote for Dave.

But the point is well taken, that firing guys was one thing.....but replacing them with vastly inferior people, was another.   We have a pretty dismal track record, in that regard..... 

But boy do I miss his unintelligible banter, classic stuff.  It was like bad lip reading but it was actually real.

Bombers sign DB Robert Porter 

(5-10, 190, Jackson State, born in Detroit, MI) played two seasons at Jackson State, lining up at both corner and nickel, earning All-SWAC honours in 2015. That year he racked up 38 tackles, one interception, and broke up 12 passes. After going undrafted, Porter signed a free-agent deal with the Bears.

not a big fan of his size, anyone familiar with him?  TCF?

2 hours ago, do or die said:

Coach ritchie was ride or die with his vets. He lived by the sword and died by the sword. When the vets wheels fell off and got too long in the tooth things turned around on him. BUT to his credit he missed the play offs as a HC what once? the first year here? And nearly made it then. The closely bonded team atmosphere of us against the world, allways having his guys back etc got the most out of his vets. People though the likes of coleman, mcgriggs etc were toast when they landed here. But they had great performance left in them and he got it.

He also benched kerwin bell for the kind of young gun khari jones. Troy mills, ryland wickman, and eric blount for charles roberts, arland bruce, albert johnson the 3rd, garrick jones, doug brown and juran bolden didnt have cfl experience, I could go on. I would argue that the entire franchise top to bottom was trying to hold onto the 2001 dream team right till he was fired and did a poorer and poorer job going out and finding good young talent, to push and replace the old guys. 

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Bombers sign DB Robert Porter 

not a big fan of his size, anyone familiar with him?  TCF?

Same height as fogg, frederick, johnson, 1 inch taller then mo, and randle. But hey macho is 6 foot. That forehead real estate is super valuable. :lol:

Didnt find a lot about him, not surprising he didnt play at the highest level. But at that level he was considered a fantastic cover guy. The exact opposite of fogg. Not a guy to get turn overs, but allways in position, tons of pass knock downs, and supposed to be very physical. Small school cover dbs are tough to evaluate. Id say hes boom or bust.  But he does seem to have the desirable tool set.

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He was like our own yogie berra. 

In New England that's how everyone talks. so they say.

" Everybody knows about pahking cahs in Hahvuhd Yahd, but there's a lot more to Boston English than that, despite what Hollywood would have you believe. We have our own way of pronouncing other words, our own vocabulary, even a unique grammatical construct. Journey outside the usual tourist haunts, and you just might need a guide to understand the locals... "

"Also, Bostonians, like Nooyawkas, often leave out consonants in their rush to get words out, in particular, d's and t's at the end of words. So "so don't I" is more properly pronounced "So doan I," real-estate brokers babble on about houses with "plenny a chahm" and we get such phrases as onna-conna."

lol... what a great place that must be to go as a tourist.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

In New England that's how everyone talks. so they say.

" Everybody knows about pahking cahs in Hahvuhd Yahd, but there's a lot more to Boston English than that, despite what Hollywood would have you believe. We have our own way of pronouncing other words, our own vocabulary, even a unique grammatical construct. Journey outside the usual tourist haunts, and you just might need a guide to understand the locals... "

Does that extend to the nearly nonsensical rambling stories or was that part all ritchie? Ask a question, get a story, no idea what it means but sounds good. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Does that extend to the nearly nonsensical rambling stories or was that part all ritchie? Ask a question, get a story, no idea what it means but sounds good. 

I've been listening on line to New England sports radio, run up to superbowl.... lot of characters ( both staff and calllers), with a LOT of stories.

let's say that our post game hockey callers would not be getting much time on that station.

Edited by Mark F

4 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Context? 2-5 with the other team hanging 40+ points on you 3 times in a row isn't just going to be 'turned around'. The point is that DR was never a CFL HC again so there wasn't any other CFL team that thought he was the guy to turn their team around. 

Berry is the only coach who I think was prematurely fired. At least they did it in the off season when they had options for HC. Hiring an inexperienced HC was the problem. A mistake they'd repeat again and again.

I'm simply don't call 1 and done after making the playoffs for the first time in 5 seasons successful. My 'bar' for success is higher than that.

which is why you are losing sight of the argument at hand. We're not talking specifically about success here, we're talking about doing things right which is part of the process of getting to success. Which is why the "if you're not first you're last" mentality that some here are displaying is bullshit.

59 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I've been listening on line to New England sports radio, run up to superbowl.... lot of characters ( both staff and calllers), with a LOT of stories.

let's say that our post game hockey callers would not be getting much time on that station.

haha that sounds like an awesome time, i cant imagine a dave ritchie esq color/pbp call.

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

the point being that it wasn't all bad, some was good, the wheels just came off quickly. The benchmark of Grey Cup or you did things wrong is what is bullshit. 

Then maybe you guys need to learn what the term "majority of the time" means before saying a statement is bulls hit.