Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I got no problems going into the year with Davis at 2, he's been around long enough that he should be able to get some playing time if need be, and if it turns out that he is needed and can't handle it then you can always make a panic move and get yourself a Kevin Glenn during the season. 

Who is to say Glenn is available?

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who is to say Glenn is available?

Glenn might win you a few games, but then again, he might just lose you a few too.  And as a playoff QB, well, I'm thinking we have every bit as good a chance of winning a playoff game with Davis starting as we would with Glenn.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

No I don't think it's easy. However, I do think that if the organization is doing their job properly, a guy should be ready to be a backup in his third season in the league and on his second contract. The scouting staff has to identify the right player, GM needs to bring that player in, and the coaching staff has to make sure they are ready to go when their number is called.

Like I've said, I don't know if Davis is the answer, but how long does a guy have to be around to be considered a viable backup?

Looking at the QBs around the league it seems like somewhere around year 2 or 3 they were given an opportunity to play and they ran with it. If you surround a new QB with crap, like the 2013 Bombers, yeah there is little chance for him to succeed. If he's actually put in a spot where he has a chance to succeed, he may surprise you. Spend the extra money it would cost to bring that experienced backup QB, to make your team better and to keep your staring QB clean, he's your best chance to win. If he does go down, the next guy up has a chance to succeed.

Travis Lulay – Started games in year 2, became full time starter in year 3.

Jonathon Jennings – starter midway through first year.

Mike Reilly – Starter Year 3 in the CFL.

Bo Levi Mitchell – saw action in year 2, became full time starter in year 3.

Darian Durant – 1 year on the PR, 1st year on active roster he was a backup, 2nd year saw playing time, 3rd year he was named the starter.

Zach Collaros – Became a successful starter in his second year, due to an injury to Ricky Ray.

Kevin Glenn – Became a starter in his fourth season.

Trevor Harris – starter, due to injury, after 3 years in the CFL.

Henry Burris – started games in his third year, until he suffered season ending injury. He then became a full time starter in his fourth year.

Matt Nichols – He started games in his second year, and was thought to be the next starting QB, until season ending leg injury. He then tore his ACL in preseason the following year. He started a number of games in every season.

Drew Willy – He was named the starting QB in Winnipeg in his third year in the CFL.

Ricky Ray – started games in his first year, due to an injury to Maas, and led the Eskimos to Grey Cup appearance.

The guys you mentioned had a lot more playing time than Davis & at least fans could get a read on whether they had potential. Davis we don't know.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I got no problems going into the year with Davis at 2, he's been around long enough that he should be able to get some playing time if need be, and if it turns out that he is needed and can't handle it then you can always make a panic move and get yourself a Kevin Glenn during the season. 

bryan ahyat was around for ages too. doesnt mean he can step in and contribute. 

Well they gave nichols elite pay, and as base. Really wish we had given him good starter money with bonuses to pay him elite money if he produced at an elite level. its sooo much money for a guy who struggles with deep balls, and leaves us kicking a record number of field goals. And in a market where no one else is probable to give him that kind of money. 

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The guys you mentioned had a lot more playing time than Davis & at least fans could get a read on whether they had potential. Davis we don't know.

I don't think they had a lot more playing time than Davis. So because Davis hasn't had playing time, that means he's not qualified to be number 2? All the guys I listed are starters in the CFL, I never said let's make Davis the starting QB. They were all given an opportunity, mostly due to injuries, and made the most of it. The majority of them did it within the first 2 to 3 years of their CFL career. If you constantly bury a guy on the depth chart, he'll never get the opportunity to get the playing time you require him to be a backup.

From John Hodge:

http://3downnation.com/2017/01/19/matt-nichols-signs-3-year-extension-bombers-means/

Glenn, who is expected to emerge as the starter in Saskatchewan, would have commanded a contract similar to the one Winnipeg gave Nichols prior to the 2016 season to serve as the club’s back-up. That deal paid Nichols $170,000 guaranteed with playtime incentives paying up to an additional $150,000.

Guys like Franklin and Jennings (2015) were apparently making league minimum as rookie QBs in the league. Try to find a development guy like that, who wants to come here for that money, and spend the difference (~$110,000) to make the rest of your team better.

Also, don't forget that Glenn has to agree to come here to be the backup and those terms. Just because you want him, doesn't mean he doesn't see himself as a starter in this league.

39 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Well they gave nichols elite pay, and as base. Really wish we had given him good starter money with bonuses to pay him elite money if he produced at an elite level. its sooo much money for a guy who struggles with deep balls, and leaves us kicking a record number of field goals. And in a market where no one else is probable to give him that kind of money. 

They did not give him elite money he is 5th or 6th best paid QB in the league. 

52 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

I don't think they had a lot more playing time than Davis. So because Davis hasn't had playing time, that means he's not qualified to be number 2? All the guys I listed are starters in the CFL, I never said let's make Davis the starting QB. They were all given an opportunity, mostly due to injuries, and made the most of it. The majority of them did it within the first 2 to 3 years of their CFL career. If you constantly bury a guy on the depth chart, he'll never get the opportunity to get the playing time you require him to be a backup.

From John Hodge:

http://3downnation.com/2017/01/19/matt-nichols-signs-3-year-extension-bombers-means/

Guys like Franklin and Jennings (2015) were apparently making league minimum as rookie QBs in the league. Try to find a development guy like that, who wants to come here for that money, and spend the difference (~$110,000) to make the rest of your team better.

Also, don't forget that Glenn has to agree to come here to be the backup and those terms. Just because you want him, doesn't mean he doesn't see himself as a starter in this league.

Wonder if Hodge has a source on Glenn's demands or the Riders having interest in him or just talking out of ass.

Hate blogs that present things like that as facts.

44 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wonder if Hodge has a source on Glenn's demands or the Riders having interest in him or just talking out of ass.

Hate blogs that present things like that as facts.

I think Edwards/Dunk throw a couple pieces of info at Hodge every now and then... I don't think they would let him publish something untrue.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think Edwards/Dunk throw a couple pieces of info at Hodge every now and then... I don't think they would let him publish something untrue.

'Glenn, who is expected to emerge as the starter in Saskatchewan, would have commanded a contract similar to the one Winnipeg gave Nichols prior to the 2016 season to serve as the club’s back-up. That deal paid Nichols $170,000 guaranteed with playtime incentives paying up to an additional $150,000.'

How was he presenting any of this stuff as facts...?

Of course, he would be looking for backup $$ and, aside from Brandon Bridge, Glenn seems like the most realistic option for the Riders...  better than the last claim that Huff was 'shopping' Tate.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

They did not give him elite money he is 5th or 6th best paid QB in the league. 

http://www.tsn.ca/eskimos-sign-qb-reilly-to-contract-extension-1.471943

only one on that list making more is mike reily. (drew willy re negotiated recently). More then jennings, lulay, blm, collaros, slightly more then harris, more then ricky ray. 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

'Glenn, who is expected to emerge as the starter in Saskatchewan, would have commanded a contract similar to the one Winnipeg gave Nichols prior to the 2016 season to serve as the club’s back-up. That deal paid Nichols $170,000 guaranteed with playtime incentives paying up to an additional $150,000.'

How was he presenting any of this stuff as facts...?

Of course, he would be looking for backup $$ and, aside from Brandon Bridge, Glenn seems like the most realistic option for the Riders...  better than the last claim that Huff was 'shopping' Tate.

I don't know I was just responding to JBR, quit busting my balls bro

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Elite money as of 2015.  We're moving pretty fast here, try and keep up.