Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/federal-election/2015/08/14/a-conservative-collection-of-harper-government-scandals.html

People tend to forget. "The Harper government " which is what Stephen demanded it be called, instead of the Canadian government.....was no choir group. He had his share of bs.

https://moiz.ca/harper/

And one more for good measure

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/08/10/Harper-Abuses-of-Power-Final/

1. Stephen Harper never once demanded it be called the Harper government. That is just a bold faced lie.

2. No one has forgotten anything, it just isn't relevant anymore. Harper is no longer PM and his party was defeated for it's scandals and rightfully so. Just as a Liberal scandal laden government under Trudeau deserves the same fate. No one is saying the government led by Harper were choir boys who were misunderstood. That's just playing a game of silly bugger and deflecting from the massive problem Canada has right now. We could play ring around the rosie with past governments both PC and Liberal all the way back to confederation but it doesn't mean jack all in the present. 

3. The article you linked contains scandals that are by comparison absolutely weak sauce to the major scandals surrounding this current Liberal government. Scandals like that are the ones Trudeau wishes he had got caught with.

Bottom line, bringing up past incarnations of any party is weak sauce rebuttal to criticisms of a current government. It doesn't make Trudeau less corrupt.

Edited by GCn20

I remember vividly when Harper (or his people??) made the change and that it would no longer be the Conservative Government or Canadian Government and instead be The Harper Government. It was a big deal at the time, because the media had to make the change. 

36 minutes ago, JCon said:

My neighbour and former Con MP under Harper, left because of ethics violations. They finally caught him using his influence as MP for personal gain. He's still reaping the benefits. He's a good church going person, so I'm certain it was all a misunderstanding. 😉

Who was the MP? 

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

1. Stephen Harper never once demanded it be called the Harper government. That is just a bold faced lie.

2. No one has forgotten anything, it just isn't relevant anymore. Harper is no longer PM and his party was defeated for it's scandals and rightfully so. Just as a Liberal scandal laden government under Trudeau deserves the same fate. No one is saying the government led by Harper were choir boys who were misunderstood. That's just playing a game of silly bugger and deflecting from the massive problem Canada has right now. We could play ring around the rosie with past governments both PC and Liberal all the way back to confederation but it doesn't mean jack all in the present. 

3. The article you linked contains scandals that are by comparison absolutely weak sauce to the major scandals surrounding this current Liberal government. Scandals like that are the ones Trudeau wishes he had got caught with.

Bottom line, bringing up past incarnations of any party is weak sauce rebuttal to criticisms of a current government. It doesn't make Trudeau less corrupt.

1. Wrong, he absolutely mandated it.

2. The member I quoted certainly seemed to forget.

3.i was 100% expecting that response. "Those aren't even that bad" is bordering on pathetic imo.

And again, the only reason I did that was because someone else brought up how harper didn't have as many scandals, which is just a flat out lie.

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He didn't demand a thing .. he simply went about rebranding *everything* during his term in office.  Official announcements were no longer brought to you by the Government of Canada but by the "Harper Government" .. hell, even signage was subtly changed to reflect the Conservative party and paint Canada blue.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tories-re-brand-government-in-stephen-harpers-name/article569222/

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/03/03/tories_rebrand_government_of_canada_as_harper_government.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/a-rebranding-of-the-harper-government-1.1040716

https://www.huffpost.com/archive/ca/entry/harper-government-rebranding-taxpayers-spent-over-86-000-helpi_n_1621875

I could go on and on with the links, stories and commentary but I doubt you'd listen given your propensity to argue in bad faith.

16 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I knew it, behind closed doors those big new churches that have cropped up everywhere over the last 25 years are up to no good! I honestly don't care what they do behind closed door, but when they try to impose their will and backward ass thinking on outer society, they're stepping one foot over the line.  Groups like this used to be content to be left alone, asking only for the freedom to practice their "we do voodoo" in private, now they can't help but try to remake society to fit their own demented image!!!  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/fundamentalist-christian-movement-1.6793677

Trinity Bible is one of the most prominent churches in a fundamentalist Christian movement that has gained momentum in Canada, initially by challenging pandemic public health restrictions.

This movement is now increasingly involved in electoral politics, advocating for conservative social and political policies based on literal interpretations of the Bible.

Liberty Coalition Canada, a conservative Christian advocacy group, is trying to raise $1.3 million to recruit hundreds of Christian politicians and campaign staff to run at all levels of government.

In a document marked "please keep classified" that was obtained by CBC News, the group says its ultimate goal is "the most powerful political disruption in Canadian history."

Working alongside Liberty Coalition Canada are dozens of churches across the country, a number of small media outlets and at least one well-funded think-tank.

While theological and political differences exist among them, many supporters of this movement share a vocal opposition to LGBTQ rights and other social justice causes.

Just what we need here in Canada- another Christo-fascist organization. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/johnston-committee-foreign-interference-1.6866083

David Johnston, tasked earlier this year with investigating Beijing's alleged meddling in Canadian politics, defended his decision to hold public hearings instead of a public inquiry into foreign interference while facing a barrage of questions from MPs this morning.

The former governor general appeared for more than three hours before the standing committee on procedure and House affairs as it continues to probe the government's response to foreign interference.

"I've identified significant shortcomings in the government's ability to detect, deter and combat this threat. This must be remedied urgently," he told MPs in his opening remarks.

The report also ruled out holding a public inquiry. Johnston argued that much of any public inquiry would have to be held in private due to the presence of top-secret information.

He has promised to hold public hearings, beginning next month, "on the serious governance and policy issues."

Johnston said the public will be able to hear from government representatives, national security officials and members of the diaspora community.

Those who fear speaking out publicly because of the risk of retaliation will have the chance to provide testimony in-camera, or can submit information privately, Johnston added.

Johnston has argued that, given the classified nature of the information, a public inquiry wouldn't build trust.

"I come back to Justice [Dennis] O'Connor, who said that public inquiries in the traditional sense are not particularly useful and can be horrendous in dealing with these things and there are appropriate ways of dealing with them," said Johnston, referring to the head of the inquiry into the detainment and torture of Maher Arar.

"What we have recommended and what we intend to do in the next five months is to have public hearings on these very important questions of, are our systems adequate? They are not."

Johnston said he expects his second report, which is due in October, will recommend shoring up Canada's two intelligence review bodies — the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians and the National Security and Intelligence Review Agency.

On 2023-06-06 at 9:05 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

Great than I have more reason than ever to hate the Liberals because they screwed my people more than any other political party out there,

For those who missed it, Global is backtracking on the Han Dong story and Sam Cooper's last day at Global is Friday.  He's apparently leaving for a "personal journalism project".

Uh- huh.

On Monday, Global News and its parent company Corus Entertainment filed a statement of defence in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice defending their reporting and denying that it was defamatory.

The statement says that "certain allegations … were based on information from two or, in some cases, three confidential sources" that Global determined were "credible through rigorous investigation."

The document said Global's reporting was not "presented as factual findings."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/review-independent-mp-han-dong-liberal-caucus-1.6867540?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar