Canadian Politics

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He did so as PM for sure, a Conservative PM. His apology was on behalf of all of Canada because that was the only way to get the Liberals included in the apology since they refuse to do it themselves. Just saying, they held power for the majority of our country's existence, they could apologize on behalf of all their governments of the past as well. Most native leaders thought Trudeau would follow suit on behalf of the Liberals....so far...bupkus.

You are a sucker for punishment.

Nov 24, 2017:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/justin-trudeau-labrador-residential-schools-apology-1.4417443

Standing before an audience of hundreds in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador, on Friday morning, Trudeau said the apology was long overdue, and a stain on the relationship between the Indigenous people of Newfoundland and Labrador and those non-Indigenous individuals who claimed to be educating them.

"The treatment of Indigenous children in residential schools is a dark and shameful chapter in our country's history," he said in his address. "For all of you — we are sincerely sorry."

On another note:

Bolded letters are mine:

The system had its origins in laws enacted before Confederation, but it was primarily active from the passage of the Indian Act in 1876, under Prime Minister Alexander MacKenzie (Liberal). Under Prime Minister John A. Macdonald (Conservative) the government adopted the residential industrial school system of the United States, a partnership between the government and various church organizations. An amendment to the Indian Act in 1894, under Prime Minister Mackenzie Bowell (Conservative), made attendance at day schools, industrial schools, or residential schools compulsory for First Nations children. Due to the remote nature of many communities, school locations meant that for some families, residential schools were the only way to comply. The schools were intentionally located at substantial distances from Indigenous communities to minimize contact between families and their children. Indian Commissioner Hayter Reed (racist dismissed by Liberal Clifford Siftonargued for schools at greater distances to reduce family visits, which he thought counteracted efforts to assimilate Indigenous children. Parental visits were further restricted by the use of a pass system designed to confine Indigenous peoples to reserves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system#:~:text=Under Prime Minister John A,government and various church organizations.

Edited by Wideleft

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

You are a sucker for punishment.

Nov 24, 2017:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/justin-trudeau-labrador-residential-schools-apology-1.4417443

Standing before an audience of hundreds in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador, on Friday morning, Trudeau said the apology was long overdue, and a stain on the relationship between the Indigenous people of Newfoundland and Labrador and those non-Indigenous individuals who claimed to be educating them.

"The treatment of Indigenous children in residential schools is a dark and shameful chapter in our country's history," he said in his address. "For all of you — we are sincerely sorry."

On another note:

Bolded letters are mine:

The system had its origins in laws enacted before Confederation, but it was primarily active from the passage of the Indian Act in 1876, under Prime Minister Alexander MacKenzie (Liberal). Under Prime Minister John A. Macdonald (Conservative) the government adopted the residential industrial school system of the United States, a partnership between the government and various church organizations. An amendment to the Indian Act in 1894, under Prime Minister Mackenzie Bowell (Conservative), made attendance at day schools, industrial schools, or residential schools compulsory for First Nations children. Due to the remote nature of many communities, school locations meant that for some families, residential schools were the only way to comply. The schools were intentionally located at substantial distances from Indigenous communities to minimize contact between families and their children. Indian Commissioner Hayter Reed (racist dismissed by Liberal Clifford Siftonargued for schools at greater distances to reduce family visits, which he thought counteracted efforts to assimilate Indigenous children. Parental visits were further restricted by the use of a pass system designed to confine Indigenous peoples to reserves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system#:~:text=Under Prime Minister John A,government and various church organizations.

Oh, sure, you're using evidence and not just yelling at the wall. 

Seriously, it's all a bad faith argument. It always is. Nothing of value and nothing redeeming. 

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

Seriously, it's all a bad faith argument. It always is. Nothing of value and nothing redeeming. 

And yet is all in for this guy:

CBC News · Posted: Jun 12, 2008 2:18 PM CDT | Last Updated: June 12, 2008

A Conservative MP who on Wednesday told an Ottawa radio station that former residential school students need a stronger work ethic, not more compensation dollars, has apologized for his comments.

pierre-poilievre-cbc080612.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/conservative-mp-apologizes-for-hurtful-comments-on-aboriginal-people-1.712106

A guy who is incapable of learning from his mistakes:

CBC News · Posted: Jan 13, 2023 3:12 PM CST | Last Updated: January 13

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre faced criticism from his political opponents Friday for delivering a speech to the Frontier Centre for Public Policy (FCPP), a controversial Winnipeg-based group that has been associated with efforts to downplay the effects of residential schools on Indigenous children and oppose vaccine mandates.

Before introducing Poilievre on Friday, the group's president, Peter Holle, said the FCPP is one of the "most prolific think tanks" and it publishes articles that "might rub you the wrong way."

Holle said the group is determined to "challenge false narratives" and claimed there's a "phoney-baloney discussion about climate" among the "chattering classes and commentariat."

In 2018, the FCPP ran radio ads claiming to debunk "myths" about Canada's residential schools. The ads dismissed as "myth" the claims that residential schools were responsible for "robbing native kids of their childhood" or the dramatic decline in Indigenous language skills.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-frontier-centre-residential-schools-1.6713419

Edited by Wideleft

Perhaps this the right link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/beyak-retirement-1.5886435#:~:text=Lynn Beyak%2C the controversial senator,resigning from the Red Chamber.

Lynn Beyak, the controversial senator from northwestern Ontario with a long history of making inflammatory remarks about Indigenous peoples, is resigning from the Red Chamber.

Beyak, who was named to the Senate by then-prime minister Stephen Harper in 2013, is leaving just as other members of the upper house were preparing to consider a motion from Independent Sen. Mary Jane McCallum to permanently remove her from the upper house.

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

A standard 'gotcha' response back:

Hey fill your boots buddy. I can't help if these facts don't fit your narrative.

For some, the strategy is to use well meaning words (Facts, Evidence, Objective, Neutral, Centrist, Moderate, Democracy, Proponent etc etc etc) for nefarious reasons.

It's a great strategy to use because it really helps convolute the discussion, always remaining slippery and never really revealing their true thoughts. When/if they are finally backed into a corner, you do see a bit more of who they really are.

None of us are perfect (except me of course) but I find some, more than others, are way past the curve of adopting this strategy on a consistent basis no matter the issue at hand.

We're a weird species.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:
  • Yes.  Angus Reid skews right.  EKOS skews left.  These are not state secrets.
  • The fact is that TN totally obscured the results of the poll by supplying a totally new question to fit their narrative.
    • The question was not, "Are you in favour of defunding the CBC?"
    • It was actually “the Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely.”
      • The TN headline said: "Majority of Canadians support defunding the CBC: poll"

Are you actually incapable or recognizing the dishonesty here?

I'm currently teaching middle years statistics. If they would interpret the poll in a similar manner they would get a failing grade. I've taught statistics as far down as elementary school and I'd be disappointed if they couldn't understand how the headline and interpretation aren't in line with the poll question and results.

9 hours ago, Mark F said:

I managed to find a photo of you from then

6vrexa3.png

Yup, that's me. With my long hair tucked under my hat I don't look like I'm still in my 30s. You can't see the bottle of whiskey in one hand or the doobie in the other. Or the rifle leaning on the wall that I'm about to go get dinner with. There's probably a ticket in my pocket for Whitehorse for my next session at the mine.....I had an interesting  life in the 90s.

Edited by the watcher

15 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Martine Richard steps down today. Whew..the Liberal scandals are just coming daily now. Hard to keep up.

It was actually Tuesday: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/interim-ethics-commissioner-minister-in-law-steps-down-1.6815790

She was hired under the previous CPC gov't but don't let facts get in the way of your fabricated outrage. Poilievre is teaching you well.

Clownservatives and manufactured drama. Like PB&J - only it's bitter and caters to useful idiots.

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Serious question:  Are you being paid by the Cons to post?

Because it is a thing.

If you count the tax dollars they will save me when elected, then I suppose I am.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It was actually Tuesday: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/interim-ethics-commissioner-minister-in-law-steps-down-1.6815790

She was hired under the previous CPC gov't but don't let facts get in the way of your fabricated outrage. Poilievre is teaching you well.

Clownservatives and manufactured drama. Like PB&J - only it's bitter and caters to useful idiots.

So you see no issue with the sister-in-law of a Liberal cabinet minister being PROMOTED to ethics commissioner? My goodness the Libtards are teaching you well.  She was NOT given that role under the CPC government no matter how much silly bugger you want to play. 

Edited by GCn20

More bad faith arguing.

From the article:

...Richard has held a senior position in the ethics commissioner's office for years and was hired when Stephen Harper was prime minister.

And uses the word libtard. Hard to imagine why nobody takes your braindead drivel in this thread seriously.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

So since GC mentioned saving $, are you all right with people getting less for CPP? How about transfer payments being decreased and healthcare and education having less $?

Absolutely they are. And, then they'll blame the Liberals and NDP. They'll start on day one, crying and whining, like usual. 

It's like little babies who want things now and care nothing about anyone else. 

Just now, WildPath said:

Serious question: Do you see the arguments being made helping the CPC in any way?

The only scenario I could see is a ploy by the Liberals to engender sympathy and support.

All I see from his posts are Conservative talking points, so I thought the question needed to be asked.  

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So since GC mentioned saving $, are you all right with people getting less for CPP? How about transfer payments being decreased and healthcare and education having less $?

But Heather has proven that you can fund tax cuts by borrowing against your debt.  No cuts required!

(Results may vary)