Canadian Politics

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

TIL residential schools were the fault of the Liberals.

[CITATIONS UNAVAILABLE, NONEXISTENT]

They started them, and Joe Clark as leader of the opposition lobbied Trudeau to get rid of them and he refused. They were not abolished fully until 1987 by Brian Mulroney's PCs. So yeah...they definitely get their share of the blame, especially into the modern era when they still refused to close them.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

There are a whole lot of people and organizations to take ownership of residential schools.

There sure are. I have heard and been witness to several apologies. Harper's was excellent, the Pope....well he apologized, the Anglican church apologized....haven't heard a Liberal apology yet...just saying.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

This wasn't an opinion piece. It sourced an Angus Reid poll. Are you suggesting Angus Reid is biased?

Yes, residential schools were a Liberal legacy of genocide.

These are facts. Angus Reid poll correlates to the reporting. I am not suggesting that TN isn't biased in editorial opinion, but they had sourced a poll from a reputable polling agency. 

It is not just people on the right that hold these views. I have heard them from every political stripe my whole life.

Angus Reid drew the same conclusions in their post poll summary. I guess you guys know how to interpret their polls better than they do.

• Yes.  Angus Reid skews right.  EKOS skews left.  These are not state secrets.
  • The fact is that TN totally obscured the results of the poll by supplying a totally new question to fit their narrative.
    • The question was not, "Are you in favour of defunding the CBC?"
    • It was actually “the Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely.”
      • The TN headline said: "Majority of Canadians support defunding the CBC: poll"

Are you actually incapable or recognizing the dishonesty here?

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/residential-schools

Residential schools were government-sponsored religious schools that were established to assimilate Indigenous children into Euro-Canadian culture. Although the first residential facilities were established in New France, the term usually refers to schools established after 1880. Residential schools were created by Christian churches and the Canadian government as an attempt to both educate and convert Indigenous youth and to assimilate them into Canadian society. 

Residential schools have a long history in Canada. The first residential facilities were developed in New France by Catholic missionaries to provide care and schooling. However, colonial governments were unable to force Indigenous people to participate in the schools, as First Nations people were largely independent and Europeans depended on them economically and militarily for survival.

However, residential schools became part of government and church policy from the 1830s on, with the creation of Anglican, Methodist, and Roman Catholic institutions in Upper Canada (Ontario).

"The Liberals did it."

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:
  • Yes.  Angus Reid skews right.  EKOS skews left.  These are not state secrets.
  • The fact is that TN totally obscured the results of the poll by supplying a totally new question to fit their narrative.
    • The question was not, "Are you in favour of defunding the CBC?"
    • It was actually “the Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely.”
      • The TN headline said: "Majority of Canadians support defunding the CBC: poll"

Are you actually incapable or recognizing the dishonesty here?

Fine...then take a gander at the Mainstreet Poll. The question is not misleading at all or skewed in any way. 

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

They started them, and Joe Clark as leader of the opposition lobbied Trudeau to get rid of them and he refused. They were not abolished fully until 1987 by Brian Mulroney's PCs. So yeah...they definitely get their share of the blame, especially into the modern era when they still refused to close them.

There sure are. I have heard and been witness to several apologies. Harper's was excellent, the Pope....well he apologized, the Anglican church apologized....haven't heard a Liberal apology yet...just saying.

Harper's speech said nothing about apologizing on behalf of the Conservative Party, he apologized on behalf of the Canadian Government.  

Therefore, on behalf of the Government of Canada and all Canadians, I stand before you, in this Chamber so central to our life as a country, to apologize to Aboriginal peoples for Canada's role in the Indian Residential Schools system.

https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1100100015644/1571589171655

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Fine...then take a gander at the Mainstreet Poll. The question is not misleading at all or skewed in any way. 

OK. 

The Mainstreet Poll had 46% in favour of "defunding" CBC.  It does not define "defunding"

Worth mentioning that 31% of the poll respondents primary source of news information was Social Media or "alternative" media.

But I'm guessing you don't actually read your own links.

17 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

They did, but they weren't alone.

No they weren't alone. Every government and church since deserves blame.

11 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

OK. 

The Mainstreet Poll had 46% in favour of "defunding" CBC.  It does not define "defunding"

Worth mentioning that 31% of the poll respondents primary source of news information was Social Media or "alternative" media.

I do read them and I am unclear why you think that is relevant. Obviously 46% of the people would rather source their news elsewhere than the CBC. Can't say I blame them.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

OK. 

Nor did I define defunding. I would be happy with a CBC that simply pays it's own bills and generates it's own money.

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

There was no Liberal Party of Canada back then.

To suggest any one political party is responsible for IRS is disingenuous and inaccurate.

The Liberal party created the policy of residential schools to be kept and expanded in the Indian Act of 1876. There most definitely was a Liberal party then. I get it that the residential schools were around before confederation, but when Canada was created they could have and should have been abolished. Instead, whe Sir John A got caught pilfering railroads the Liberals used the opportunity to entrench them in the Indian Act of 1876. Easily the most racist and biggest piece of garbage legislation ever put forward in the history of Canada. Thank you Liberals.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

OK. 

Or can't. 

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And now we have moving the goalposts added to the list of logical fallacies.

Every. Time. 

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

This wasn't an opinion piece. It sourced an Angus Reid poll. Are you suggesting Angus Reid is biased?

The polling is sound... your and conservative shill's takeaway of the poll is ****.

The question in the poll was:

"The Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely"

Anyone not voting for the conservatives would fall in the "maintain" category.

It DOESN'T show that a majority of Canadian want to defund the CBC.

For example:

I wouldn't vote for little pp. 

They want to defund the CBC.

I still wouldn't vote for little pp and the cpc. 

Therefore I would be in the "maintain" group.

The logic leap required to equate the poll to the majority of Canadians here is stupid as ****.

Angus Reid poll isn't biased- the application of the poll to push a ******* narrative is biased as ****. If youvcant see that, you are willfully ignorant because you think it proves your point or you just don't know how to interpret information. Either way, your take on this is wrong.

Main Street Polling....

The polling firm that consistently predicted Bill Smith would be elected mayor of Calgary and challenged third-party observers who raised questions about its results now admits to "big, big polling failures."

"We were the worst by far," Mainstreet Research president Quito Maggi said the day after incumbent Naheed Nenshi defeated Smith by eight percentage points.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mainstreet-calgary-poll-nenshi-bill-smith-failures-1.4360145

9 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

The polling is sound... your and conservative shill's takeaway of the poll is ****.

The question in the poll was:

"The Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely"

Anyone not voting for the conservatives would fall in the "maintain" category.

It DOESN'T show that a majority of Canadian want to defund the CBC.

For example:

I wouldn't vote for little pp. 

They want to defund the CBC.

I still wouldn't vote for little pp and the cpc. 

Therefore I would be in the "maintain" group.

The logic leap required to equate the poll to the majority of Canadians here is stupid as ****.

Angus Reid poll isn't biased- the application of the poll to push a ******* narrative is biased as ****. If youvcant see that, you are willfully ignorant because you think it proves your point or you just don't know how to interpret information. Either way, your take on this is wrong.

Ok fair enough...have a look at the Mainstreet poll. Pretty clear question there.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Main Street Polling....

The polling firm that consistently predicted Bill Smith would be elected mayor of Calgary and challenged third-party observers who raised questions about its results now admits to "big, big polling failures."

"We were the worst by far," Mainstreet Research president Quito Maggi said the day after incumbent Naheed Nenshi defeated Smith by eight percentage points.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mainstreet-calgary-poll-nenshi-bill-smith-failures-1.4360145

I could find fall downs by every single polling company out there. 338 Canada considers Mainstreet polls to be very accurate and their methodology consistently sound. They are ranked 5th amongst 31 polling companies in Canada in terms of accuracy by Phillipe Fournier.

Edited by GCn20

25 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Harper's speech said nothing about apologizing on behalf of the Conservative Party, he apologized on behalf of the Canadian Government.  

https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1100100015644/1571589171655

He did so as PM for sure, a Conservative PM. His apology was on behalf of all of Canada because that was the only way to get the Liberals included in the apology since they refuse to do it themselves. Just saying, they held power for the majority of our country's existence, they could apologize on behalf of all their governments of the past as well. Most native leaders thought Trudeau would follow suit on behalf of the Liberals....so far...bupkus.

Edited by GCn20