Canadian Politics

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

True...but it's how they should work. If a majority of people do not find value in their tax dollars funding the CBC then it should be defunded. There are things such as health care, infrastructure, OAS, etc that are absolutely not within the scope of that. Crown corporations with the exception of utilities, however, need to be weighed by merit of the dollars they receive. I quite frankly believe that the CBC does not add a billion dollars of value to Canada and that government should not be in this business anymore. 

I agree with politicians who will cut government waste. I haven't seen anyone do it yet, but I like the concept.

An impact study by Deloitte and Touche (BUT commissioned by the CBC itself) in 2010 pegged the annual return at $3.7 billion.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/cbc-contributes-3-7b-to-economy-study-1.999030

Also consider that crown corps are not meant to turn excessive profits so that citizens aren't gouged - unlike private contractor's/business.

Just now, Wideleft said:

An impact study by Deloitte and Touche (BUT commissioned by the CBC itself) in 2010 pegged the annual return at $3.7 billion.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/cbc-contributes-3-7b-to-economy-study-1.999030

Also consider that crown corps are not meant to turn excessive profits so that citizens aren't gouged - unlike private contractor's/business.

You can't trust CBC, though! They're biased for the Liberals!

DEFUND THE CBC!

/s

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

True...but it's how they should work. If a majority of people do not find value in their tax dollars funding the CBC then it should be defunded. There are things such as health care, infrastructure, OAS, etc that are absolutely not within the scope of that. Crown corporations with the exception of utilities, however, need to be weighed by merit of the dollars they receive. I quite frankly believe that the CBC does not add a billion dollars of value to Canada and that government should not be in this business anymore. 

You suggest taxes don't work like that and I agree to some extent. However, governments tax, and they decide where our tax dollars go. I will vote for parties that spend on what I feel is important, and will not vote for those that don't. That's how we get a say, DIRECTLY, in how taxes are spent. Taxes aren't a right of government. They do not have carte blanche to spend our tax dollars as they see fit, nor to raise them at their whim.

I agree with politicians who will cut government waste. I haven't seen anyone do it yet, but I like the concept.

How much funding do you think First Nations would get with your plan?  I have no problem with FN funding, but a lot of your party does.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

This is the predicament I have found myself in the last 2 elections as well except my local candidate is Niki Ashton leaving me absolutely no one to vote for, so I submitted protest votes in the last 2 elections. However, this time my vote will count as one against Trudeau's Liberals. In the grand scheme of things it won't really matter because Ashton is pretty much a lock up here, but it will make me feel better.

I am not huge on the CPC, wish Charest would have won and brought the party back to centre. However, my disapproval for the Liberals is higher than my disapproval of the CPC so they will get my vote this time and I won't spoil my ballot. 

I disagree with this. The CPC has been deeply infected with Reform Party nutballs who have gained control of the CPC's internal systems and hold most of the control positions. Charest would have met the same fate as PP's predecessor.

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

How much funding do you think First Nations would get with your plan?  I have no problem with FN funding, but a lot of your party does.

We would get the same as we are getting now. Saying otherwise is just boogeyman politics. Over the last 50 years there has been no drop in First Nation funding when the PC/CPC have held power. 

The Liberals have promised the moon, but never delivered on any of their promises, The best party for FNs would likely be the NDP, but they will never be in a position of power.  Also, I, and most FN people deeply resent the Indian Act and feel it is an obstacle to both self governance and native prosperity. Only one party has actually listened to our leadership on that.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We would get the same as we are getting now. Saying otherwise is just boogeyman politics. Over the last 50 years there has been no drop in First Nation funding when the PC/CPC have held power. 

The Liberals have promised the moon, but never delivered on any of their promises, The best party for FNs would likely be the NDP, but they will never be in a position of power. 

I'm speaking of your plan to let taxpayers determine where exactly their tax dollars should go.

29 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

That's a red herring. Economic impact would not worsen if they were to be defunded and forced to be self sufficient. In fact, it would likely grow.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I'm speaking of your plan to let taxpayers determine where exactly their tax dollars should go.

Taxpayers can choose what they want, native rights are entrenched by treaty and protected by the constitution. It's not a choice they can make. If the CBC had the same protection and guarantee of support, I suppose I would have to begrudgingly move my objections to other things that irk me.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Holy ******* garbage source...

Stephen Harper's journal of masturbation material is less biased and more factual...

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/true-north-centre-for-public-policy/

If you can't make up your own stuff and call it facts what's the point anymore!

Save your breath. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Wow. Now I know why you refuse to share your sources of "facts" when being called out. Assuming/hoping you thought nobody would check what the poll was actually asking and just take the headline as facts?

2 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Wow. Now I know why you refuse to share your sources of "facts" when being called out. Assuming/hoping you thought nobody would check what the poll was actually asking and just take the headline as facts?

It's not that they don't know better and need to be better informed, it's that they don't care what the verified facts say. It really doesn't matter to them, they will cast out their dispersions, project as some say when challenged by facts (or challenged by the best available information we have right now knowing its a constant evolution of learning) and carry on with their business projecting themselves as something they are not.  

They'll read the above sentence and predictably mock it with bravado, say how dare one judges them based on the words they share and come in hot doing exactly what the bolded parts say.

4 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Just waiting for the regurgitation of the brilliance that is Barbara Kay.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

From real scholars. Gotcha Migizi!

When people like BK are spewing their nonsense thru mechanisms like editorials and opinion pieces (i.e., monologue not dialogue) they wax prose, puffing their chest out while typing the words of nonsense.

As soon as they engage in a dialogue it all crumbles. They will then quickly run back to their monologue waxing prose with their drivel of how they just owned these WOKE people with the condescending tone with a complete lack of self-awareness.

13 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Just waiting for the regurgitation of the brilliance that is Barbara Kay.

Going away from the point a bit, but sparked something related to trying to put some polish on residential schools. This from former PC MP Dorothy Dobbie (also former President of Wpg Chamber of Commerce and Order of Canada receipient):

But to get a true perspective on the decisions that were made then, we must look back at how children in general were understood and treated in Western society. We discover that it was not only Indigenous kids who were mistreated, and it was not only the poor and forgotten, either.

--------

I tell this story to put into perspective the changing attitudes from our recent past until today. This is not to mitigate the damage that was done to our Indigenous youth. It is to ease the burden of hurt and injustice that Indigenous people feel by letting them know that they were not alone. Perhaps it helps to understand that the cruelty of the times extended beyond their community. I hope it does.

Basically, residential schools weren't so bad because other children had it rough too. I cannot understand how people on the right hold these views. I believe she was also an ardent supporter of Pallister and Lagimodiere when they towed out the "good intentions" B.S.

Reconciliation must begin with mutual understanding - What's Up Winnipeg (whatsupwinnipeg.ca)

3 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Going away from the point a bit, but sparked something related to trying to put some polish on residential schools. This from former PC MP Dorothy Dobbie (also former President of Wpg Chamber of Commerce and Order of Canada receipient):

Basically, residential schools weren't so bad because other children had it rough too. I cannot understand how people on the right hold these views. I believe she was also an ardent supporter of Pallister and Lagimodiere when they towed out the "good intentions" B.S.

Reconciliation must begin with mutual understanding - What's Up Winnipeg (whatsupwinnipeg.ca)

My vote was was one of the 3 vote margin that booted her to the curb.  Every vote matters!

15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Basically, residential schools weren't so bad because other children had it rough too.

Yikes... I mean sure you can draw parallels with other boarding schools etc.... but the white kids weren't taken away specifically to "teach" their heritage out of them.  

Residential schools were all about eradicating a culture. Small wonder some of the problems on reserves exist.

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Holy ******* garbage source...

Stephen Harper's journal of masturbation material is less biased and more factual...

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/true-north-centre-for-public-policy/

This wasn't an opinion piece. It sourced an Angus Reid poll. Are you suggesting Angus Reid is biased?

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yikes... I mean sure you can draw parallels with other boarding schools etc.... but the white kids weren't taken away specifically to "teach" their heritage out of them.  

Residential schools were all about eradicating a culture. Small wonder some of the problems on reserves exist.

Yes, residential schools were a Liberal legacy of genocide.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I mean, it tracks. It pairs perfectly with the garbage opinions.

These are facts. Angus Reid poll correlates to the reporting. I am not suggesting that TN isn't biased in editorial opinion, but they had sourced a poll from a reputable polling agency. 

30 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

My vote was was one of the 3 vote margin that booted her to the curb.  Every vote matters!

It is not just people on the right that hold these views. I have heard them from every political stripe my whole life.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Angus Reid drew the same conclusions in their post poll summary. I guess you guys know how to interpret their polls better than they do.