Canadian Politics

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

So we shouldn't expect you to know about non-reserve politics?  I mean, that part actually checks out.

That makes zero sense. Are you suggesting that first nation people don't have provincial/Federal voting interest? Pretty racist man.

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Just respect the fact that people do believe in both ideas

First Nations people also believe in a creator

That's your assumption. 

Back in the early 90s I did a deep, deep dive into religion. I consumed whatever I could about many religions, and the history of those religions.  I had ditched my TV and it was pre-internet for me so I had lots of time on my hands lol. One of the things I did was read the Bible from front to back. Like one would read a novel. I found it really changed my perspective.  While I no longer consider myself a  Christian  there is alot of good and positive things that can be taken from the Bible. But to take it word for word as God's rule is impossible. A bit of a deep dive into the history of the Christian church will yield the same results. I don't see any issue with a Christian believing in evolution. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

First of all - True North Centre 🤣

Secondly - that wasn't the question!

"The position put to respondents was, “the Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely.”"

Jayzus!

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That makes zero sense. Are you suggesting that first nation people don't have provincial/Federal voting interest? Pretty racist man.

No.  I'm calling you out on your assumptions.

Must be another day that ends in "day" today.

4 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Back in the early 90s I did a deep, deep dive into religion. I consumed whatever I could about many religions, and the history of those religions.  I had ditched my TV and it was pre-internet for me so I had lots of time on my hands lol. One of the things I did was read the Bible from front to back. Like one would read a novel. I found it really changed my perspective.  While I no longer consider myself a  Christian  there is alot of good and positive things that can be taken from the Bible. But to take it word for word as God's rule is impossible. A bit of a deep dive into the history of the Christian church will yield the same results. I don't see any issue with a Christian believing in evolution. 

I have an issue with Christians who don't. 

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

First of all - True North Centre 🤣

Secondly - that wasn't the question!

"The position put to respondents was, “the Conservatives would still maintain my support/interest if they adopted: Defunding the CBC completely.”"

Jayzus!

No.  I'm calling you out on your assumptions.

Must be another day that ends in "day" today.

I have an issue with Christians who don't. 

It's not even trolling anymore. He's straight up sealioning.

14 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Wow. That takes tons of discipline and focus. Kudos. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

There are times when I wish I would get rid of the internet and TV. The written word is so much richer. All that reading , Christian, Buddhist,  Taoist....texts and I ended up with a belief system that Iris Dement summed up in a couple of  minutes much more eloquently than I ever could.

49 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I agree with that.  The Bible is not exclusively the word of God - that's pretty obvious if you read all of it

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

I'll admit to being glib with my response and I have always felt that religion was valuable as a means to give some people a sense of community.  The problem is that the religious extremists are now starting to run "the show" again and it is ruining society for everyone bit by bit.  

That is going to make us atheists just a little more glib if not more combative in how we show our respect.  The conversation has totally shifted from all the damage that religion has wrought into the damage that religion is doing.

I agree that fundamentalism is dangerous, and that personal beliefs need to separated from government

In fact, many of my ancestors suffered and died - due to protesting and demanding the separation of church and state

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Science and religiion can definitely intertwine.

I won’t dive too deeply into someone’s spirituality, and I myself differentiate faith from religion, with faith as a useful moral guidepost as how to live one’s life as opposed to a strict dogma that must be rule-bound and followed as the one absolute truth. However, this quote from noted atheist Ricky Gervais regarding religion vs science stands out to me:

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Science isn't a belief system, though.

FN don't weaponize their spiritually in the sociopolitical sphere, though. On the contrary, they're often advocating for their human rights against those who do weaponize their archaic religious beliefs.

That's just it.  Many of us do not weaponize our spirituality. My people certainly don't

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That's just it.  Many of us do not weaponize our spirituality. My people certainly don't

Hesitant to go there, but there are many sects of your religion who have a lot to answer for regarding the treatment of women and children.  In-house weaponization is still weaponization.

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I think there is a distinction to be made between spirituality and religion.  Spirituality is your individual, inner understanding.  Religion is shared and organized belief system.  Organized religion involves people, which can turn into corruption and weaponization in some cases.

The word “weaponization” to me is tricky, because the label is applied by the opponent of that religion. So when someone says “Many of us don’t weaponize our spirituality” they may be speaking truthfully, but it is a subjective viewpoint. A Jewish person will say they don’t weaponize their religion, but were persecuted for their beliefs and almost exterminated in the Holocaust for it. But a Muslim will say “and you weaponized that into getting a nation state of Israel and kick us out of our land”. A Catholic will say all life is sacred so we must protect those rights of all humans, but others will say that stance has been weaponized to make abortion illegal and subjugate women’s rights. An Indigenous person could say their culture was stolen from them by the residential school system whose weaponization of the Christian beliefs tried to indoctrinate us to their ways. And those Christians may say that the Indogenous groups are now weaponizing their beliefs to create white guilt, forcing modern Canadians to make reparations for the sins of their fathers, and getting the laws of Canada in the Criminal Code altered to account for Indigenous status and give them a different standard of Justice. So it is weaponization or is it appropriate measures taken to right a wrong. Depends on which side of the fence you sit on. Why these labels can be inflammatory and subjective. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Religion is fine, it's people that suck. Oftentimes the people who suck co-opt religions for shitty purposes.

People made religion. It is a human construct and history shows that more often than not, it is used to control and oppress. The Abrahamic religions in particular but not exclusively.

Edited by blue_gold_84

10 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

People made religion. It is a human construct and history shows that more often than not, it is used to control and oppress. The Abrahamic religions in particular but not exclusively.

My view is that people will always find some reason to justify their shitty actions. Religion is an easy one but I truly believe that the intent behind religion is a good one. Like anything though it requires people to not have that desire to be shitty.

47 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Hesitant to go there, but there are many sects of your religion who have a lot to answer for regarding the treatment of women and children.  In-house weaponization is still weaponization.

That's fair.  There is much that we continue to work on from within - change takes time

I can tell you that it is certainly far better than it once was

My wife and I actually fostered and adopted a child through CFS, thus we had to put all of our cards on the table

They did have many questions, but in end, we were able to proceed

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's just not how taxes work though.

True...but it's how they should work. If a majority of people do not find value in their tax dollars funding the CBC then it should be defunded. There are things such as health care, infrastructure, OAS, etc that are absolutely not within the scope of that. Crown corporations with the exception of utilities, however, need to be weighed by merit of the dollars they receive. I quite frankly believe that the CBC does not add a billion dollars of value to Canada and that government should not be in this business anymore. 

You suggest taxes don't work like that and I agree to some extent. However, governments tax, and they decide where our tax dollars go. I will vote for parties that spend on what I feel is important, and will not vote for those that don't. That's how we get a say, DIRECTLY, in how taxes are spent. Taxes aren't a right of government. They do not have carte blanche to spend our tax dollars as they see fit, nor to raise them at their whim.

I agree with politicians who will cut government waste. I haven't seen anyone do it yet, but I like the concept.

Edited by GCn20