Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

On May 26, GoodLocal, which is co-owned by Fort Whyte MLA Obby Khan, sent a letter to vendors saying it could no longer afford to store products for free at its warehouse, which would be relocated immediately. The e-commerce site was also taken offline for redevelopment.

In December 2020, GoodLocal received a $500,000 grant to expand its warehouse, delivery services and website and hire a full-time marketing consultant to promote the platform, which had launched a month prior.

The money flowed through the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce to GoodLocal.

The chamber was tasked by the provincial government to run its COVID-19 pandemic relief program while many retailers were shuttered due to public health orders.

Roughly 10 months later, Khan endorsed Heather Stefanson in her successful bid to become leader of the PC party. In January, he announced his candidacy for the Tory nomination in the Fort Whyte byelection. He was elected in a tight race in March.

The Tories have since distanced themselves from the pandemic relief program, saying the chamber selected GoodLocal as the e-commerce platform of choice and awarded the contract to Khan’s business despite the province signing a contract that identified GoodLocal as the funding recipient.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2022/05/30/ndp-questions-grant-as-biz-downsizes

These facts don't fit your narrative.

Wait, what?

I'm confusing myself.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

On May 26, GoodLocal, which is co-owned by Fort Whyte MLA Obby Khan, sent a letter to vendors saying it could no longer afford to store products for free at its warehouse, which would be relocated immediately. The e-commerce site was also taken offline for redevelopment.

In December 2020, GoodLocal received a $500,000 grant to expand its warehouse, delivery services and website and hire a full-time marketing consultant to promote the platform, which had launched a month prior.

The money flowed through the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce to GoodLocal.

The chamber was tasked by the provincial government to run its COVID-19 pandemic relief program while many retailers were shuttered due to public health orders.

Roughly 10 months later, Khan endorsed Heather Stefanson in her successful bid to become leader of the PC party. In January, he announced his candidacy for the Tory nomination in the Fort Whyte byelection. He was elected in a tight race in March.

The Tories have since distanced themselves from the pandemic relief program, saying the chamber selected GoodLocal as the e-commerce platform of choice and awarded the contract to Khan’s business despite the province signing a contract that identified GoodLocal as the funding recipient.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2022/05/30/ndp-questions-grant-as-biz-downsizes

And of course, the Chamber of Commerce has zero connections to the PCs.

51 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I believe there were reports that the business was struggling and then like magic 500k showed up from the grant...then Khan was a big PC supporter after years of not publicly endorsing anyone. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Please show me the report. At the time it was a start up business in it's infancy and was working out some kinks but it didn't even have time to be struggling. Please don't forget the part where he actually received the grant on the independant recommendation of the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce who was tasked to select who would receive the funds.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And of course, the Chamber of Commerce has zero connections to the PCs.

The Chamber of Commerce has no connection to the PCs any more than any other party. Are you suggesting that the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce is being secretly run by the PC party? SMH!! 

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Please show me the report. At the time it was a start up business in it's infancy and was working out some kinks but it didn't even have time to be struggling. Please don't forget the part where he actually received the grant on the independant recommendation of the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce who was tasked to select who would receive the funds.

The Chamber of Commerce has no connection to the PCs any more than any other party. Are you suggesting that the Manitoba Chamber of Commerce is being secretly run by the PC party? SMH!! 

Ill admit that the things i read about the business could very well have been due to its infancy.

If you don't think the members of the chamber lean heavily to the right, you may be interested In this bridge I have for sale. It was originally built to cross the mighty Nile!! It could be yours for a small price or only a few monthly installments!

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Ill admit that the things i read about the business could very well have been due to its infancy.

If you don't think the members of the chamber lean heavily to the right, you may be interested In this bridge I have for sale. It was originally built to cross the mighty Nile!! It could be yours for a small price or only a few monthly installments!

For sure businesses skew to the right of the political spectrum. No doubt about it. Businesses abhor a left wing government. However, you were making the implication that the PCs were funneling money through them and that they were complicit in some scheme to pay Obby Khan. That's a big leap. The Manitoba Chamber BOD is a collection of chamber members from all across the province and they work to assist other businesses and to advocate for business interests. They are politically neutral and have no affiliation with any party in any way. If the bulk of their membership skews to the right....well that is independent of the board's mission statement and operating procedures. There have at many times in the past, been high ranking NDP on the BOD. It is preposterous to suggest that the PCs are their puppet masters. I have sat on various Chambers BODs, and at no time is party discussed or favored...simply policies. If the NDP came out tomorrow with the best path forward for business in Manitoba, the MCOF would endorse them.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure businesses skew to the right of the political spectrum. No doubt about it. Businesses abhor a left wing government. However, you were making the implication that the PCs were funneling money through them and that they were complicit in some scheme to pay Obby Khan. That's a big leap. The Manitoba Chamber BOD is a collection of chamber members from all across the province and they work to assist other businesses and to advocate for business interests. They are politically neutral and have no affiliation with any party in any way. If the bulk of their membership skews to the right....well that is independent of the board's mission statement and operating procedures. There have at many times in the past, been high ranking NDP on the BOD.

I don't believe even you believe what you are trying to say here.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure businesses skew to the right of the political spectrum. No doubt about it. Businesses abhor a left wing government. However, you were making the implication that the PCs were funneling money through them and that they were complicit in some scheme to pay Obby Khan. That's a big leap. The Manitoba Chamber BOD is a collection of chamber members from all across the province and they work to assist other businesses and to advocate for business interests. They are politically neutral and have no affiliation with any party in any way. If the bulk of their membership skews to the right....well that is independent of the board's mission statement and operating procedures. There have at many times in the past, been high ranking NDP on the BOD.

There have been occasional NDP representation on the C of C boards, but not often. The PCs have played dirty in the past with vote-splitting tactics and when an NDP member voted against his party, triggering an election that the NDP lost, that member who was not wealthy by any means, shortly thereafter moved to BC and bought into a thriving insurance agency. Coincidence? 

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

There have been occasional NDP representation on the C of C boards, but not often. The PCs have played dirty in the past with vote-splitting tactics and when an NDP member voted against his party, triggering an election that the NDP lost, that member who was not wealthy by any means, shortly thereafter moved to BC and bought into a thriving insurance agency. Coincidence? 

Maybe? Can you prove otherwise or are we just going to throw wild unfounded accusations around?

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This is rich coming from the guy who said the ethics commissioner "resigned in disgust."

He did.

Businesses love cons because they support corporate welfare. More money in their pockets and less in the plebs. No surprise here. 

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This is rich coming from the guy who said the ethics commissioner "resigned in disgust."

Amazing how this happens over and over and over again. 

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ethics-commissioner-trudeau-liberals-lapses

I'll just leave this here. Cognitive dissonance my ass. The only people with cognitive dissonance are the ones who can't see how corrupt this Liberal government is.

Your brain will thank you if you stop reading the National Post.

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ethics-commissioner-trudeau-liberals-lapses

I'll just leave this here. Cognitive dissonance my ass. The only people with cognitive dissonance are the ones who can't see how corrupt this Liberal government is.

Dion said in an interview with the National Post shortly after announcing he was leaving his post for health reasons.

In the ******* article you posted  Jesus tap dancing christ...

**** me... As if I have to share this here again.

https://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/en/news-nouvelles/Pages/Statement-Feb2023-Declaration.aspx

"I have been honoured to serve Parliament and Canadians as Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner for the past five years and am grateful for the confidence Parliament has placed in me. It is my hope that I have contributed in some measure to transparency and accountability in support of Canadian democracy.

Those in public office have a sacred duty to always act in the interest of the public they serve. I commend regulatees for taking their obligations under the conflict of interest regimes seriously and working with the Office to achieve and maintain compliance. Many have taken advantage of the learning opportunities offered by the Office as part of its new, proactive approach to education. Their willingness to learn and follow the rules confirms my belief that the vast majority are honest people who want to do the right thing.

I thank all Office employees for their hard work and dedication in helping me fulfill my mandate. This includes developing and following new processes and procedures that have helped the Office become more efficient and effective. Among them are a three-day service standard for responding to regulatees' requests for advice, a transparency-by-default approach to inquiries from the media and members of the public, and a targeted 12-month timeframe for conducting investigations, which we met for all those completed during my mandate.

I firmly believe that educating regulatees and the public about the importance of avoiding conflicts of interest serves to help restore Canadians' trust in public officials and the institutions in which they serve and, ultimately, in our democracy.

The role of Commissioner is a fitting one from which to retire after 43 years of public service. Regrettably, I cannot continue to discharge the responsibilities of the position because of persistent health issues and will be stepping down effective February 21, 2023. I wish the Office and the next Commissioner well moving forward."

Either Dion is lying or The National ShitPost is lying. I wonder who has the cleaner track record...?

Edited by blue_gold_84

I think its possible to believe that the Liberals have some corruption issues and could do better work on some files (housing), while also thinking that the CPC has too many members that are seeking to emulate the Right in the US and have too many members who are tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists about topics such as the WEF, Covid vaccines and 15 minute cities.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I think its possible to believe that the Liberals have some corruption issues and could do better work on some files (housing), while also thinking that the CPC has too many members that are seeking to emulate the Right in the US and have too many members who are tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists about topics such as the WEF, Covid vaccines and 15 minute cities.

The housing crisis/issues are beyond anything save draconian government intervention. Speculation and low interest rates for the most part have driven up the price of homes.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He did.

perhaps take your own advice and

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

prove otherwise or are we just going to throw wild unfounded accusations around?

and unbelievably.. in the same post nonetheless... 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Nowhere in this article does it say he resigned in disgust... 

Corrupt? Possibly, but you are literally making **** up and posting it as fact. The fact you are unrepentant while being proven over and over that you are wrong, screams cognitive dissonance. Everyone else can see it- why can't you?

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

NDP is for employees and PCs are for business owners, there's no question about that. 

PC is for business owners

Liberals are for employees / retired employees / immigrants

NDP is for all others

At least in Manitoba