Bombers at Lions WSF GDT

Nolby

15 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Was that attempt earlier in the year made with 36 seconds on the clock and time for 3 more plays?  Because if it was made with less than 7-8 seconds left and/or an incredibly long yardage to get the first down, it is of little relevance to the  terrible decision O'Shea made.

Little relevance???  It was the same two teams, playing in the same stadium less then two months ago and each coach expected his kicker to make a 61 yd. FG. in a windless dome.  I think O'Shea should have remembered those circumstances.

Well, like I said on my first post on this thread, it's hard to beat a team (a good team - and B.C. is a good team) three games in a row, especially twice in their own building. I was just hoping for a good game, I was worried B.C. would blow the bombers out. Last year the bombers (though they had Drew Willy - worst QB this side of Tee Martin) were easily the worst team in the league. 

Nichols showed he's a bonafide #1 QB in this game. O'Shea definitely blew it with a 61 yard attempt. You don't do that unless you only have enough time to run one play, of you're in Hamilton and that gale force wind is at your back. Not to mention Vcr and the 'thick' damp air there. I too couldnt' believe it when Medlock trotted out. But also, the folks arguing the D lost the game are absolutely right. The only thing the bomber D did right in the 2nd half was they let B.C get their TD with over a minute left on the clock. But it was too easy for B.C. - receivers wide open all over the field. Pretty sad

40 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Little relevance???  It was the same two teams, playing in the same stadium less then two months ago and each coach expected his kicker to make a 61 yd. FG. in a windless dome.  I think O'Shea should have remembered those circumstances.

I looked at the game log and there was 3 seconds left in that game so they choice would have been

a) have Leone kick a 61 yarder  which is what the Lions did - probably 1% chance of succeeding 

OR

b. throw a hail mary to the end zone - less than one percent chance of succeeding

There was 36 seconds in the Bomber game.  Bomber choices were

a) kick field goal - which they did - again, less than 1% chance of succeeding

b. gamble on third and 4 - probably had 40 - 50% chance of succeeding.  They would have also had time for 2 or 3 more plays had they made it.

Please don't attempt to draw comparisons between a nearly impossible field goal attempt with 3 seconds on the clock vs one with 36 seconds on the clock.  It's insulting.  O'shea's decision defied logic.

As good as the secondary is and they are arguably the best in the CFL, and as athletic as the LBs are the front seven are under sized and have repeatedly had the ball run down their throats. Some will argue how ineffective Hall's scheme is but those were the ponies up front he was given.

Ian Wild did not have a good game. Neither did Bass. 

That BC TD near the end of the first half... man.. 5 plays but 2 runs for 77 yards.... I was like uh oh. But we got a 2 score lead still so I was feeling good. Thought that might come back to bite us tho but still... comfortable lead... The O just had to keep doing what they were doing and while the tds weren't there in the second half... the O was decent. Problem was BC wad shredding our D. 

I don't think scheme is necessarily an issue... I think the last 3 BC tds drive tho show that... Richie Hall.... he's decent but he got away from what was working.  He went in to prevent way to early and ultimately our D broke. Bend but don't break.... they did that for the first half.... second half... very little pressure on Jennings and our D broke 

Edited by Goalie

47 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

I looked at the game log and there was 3 seconds left in that game so they choice would have been

a) have Leone kick a 61 yarder  which is what the Lions did - probably 1% chance of succeeding 

OR

b. throw a hail mary to the end zone - less than one percent chance of succeeding

b. gamble on third and 4 - probably had 40 - 50% chance of succeeding.  They would have also had time for 2 or 3 more plays had they made it.

Please don't attempt to draw comparisons between a nearly impossible field goal attempt with 3 seconds on the clock vs one with 36 seconds on the clock.  It's insulting.  O'shea's decision defied logic.

I totally agree, O'Shea's decision was worse than Wally's but that doesn't exclude the similarity of the situations as the odds of success were nearly zero.

Besides the bone head call at the end...it was plain to me that we need a middle linebacker along the lines of Solo....He's a free agent ....give him a call (off season of course)...Bighill is another one but I don't see him ever leaving B.C. but he's the type we need.....Can we find one???  They don't grow on trees but if our scouting is worth anything ,they should be able to come up with something that's better than what we're running...Too easy to run on this team, and if they aren't butchering our secondary they just pop one up the middle at will...That has to end.

Edited by Stickem

12 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

OR

Where do you get 1% chance of the kick being made?  IMO the 3rd and 4 vs 61 yard FG with Medlock in a dome are about equal odds.  If Medlock hit that kick 10 times he'd make 3-4, same for the 3rd down play.

The only difference is the time on the clock.  Even if you make that kick...BC has too much time.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Where do you get 1% chance of the kick being made?  IMO the 3rd and 4 vs 61 yard FG with Medlock in a dome are about equal odds.  If Medlock hit that kick 10 times he'd make 3-4, same for the 3rd down play.

The only difference is the time on the clock.  Even if you make that kick...BC has too much time.

This to a tee.  The odds were fairly close.  

There are a lot of fans talking out of anger which is understandable but in reality, we go back again to hindsight being 20/20.  Poor decision because it didn't work.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

This to a tee.  The odds were fairly close.  

There are a lot of fans talking out of anger which is understandable but in reality, we go back again to hindsight being 20/20.  Poor decision because it didn't work.

What if you factor in the chances of BC taking a penalty on a 3rd and four gamble versus a 61 yard field goal?

1 minute ago, TrueBlue said:

Then you'd also have to take into consideration the chances of US taking a penalty as well wouldn't you?

True but BC in this specific situation may be in a more vulnerable position in taking one.

I assume (complete assumption because I've never looked this up) that D tales more penalties than O in certain situations but I could be wrong.

I was also thinking during the kick also that because of the fake in the first game to Dressler that BC was going to have to line up wide across the line to prevent a fake. With them being so wide there was not going to be much push up the middle and Medlock could hit it low and hard. It looked like he got under it a bit and it went high instead of being a line drive.

9 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I was also thinking during the kick also that because of the fake in the first game to Dressler that BC was going to have to line up wide across the line to prevent a fake. With them being so wide there was not going to be much push up the middle and Medlock could hit it low and hard. It looked like he got under it a bit and it went high instead of being a line drive.

He definitely got under it.  One of the potential side effects of using a tee.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Probably from the fact that a 61-yarder has never been made in a dome in the CFL. In history. Ever.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He has never kicked a field goal farther than 58 yards.  Ever.  Don't give a whit about practice.  the odds  were most certainly NOT equal

the decision was between going for it on 3rd down or let medlock kick it 61 yards away. either way, it's a make or break decision and fans/media will say why not the left the offense and go for it or why not let medlock kick it.

o'shea picked the option that he's more comfortable with and he stood by it. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I cant' stand this whole arguing over the kick (but I get that it's a messageboard and it's what we do...)

Interesting note from Nichols that he was totally understanding of the kick:

@DTonSC @RGR_Classic Nichols added they saw him hit 60-yards throughout season in practice including one 66 yarder