Nicholls's Potential Bonus

rebusrankin

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

IR'ing Willy is only an advantage if he stays there longer than 6 weeks. If you 6 game Willy, he can't practice for 4 weeks. Davis takes over the #2 spot on the roster anyway. If Nichols gets hurt in the first 6 weeks, Davis goes into the game, you have no SMS advantage if you bring Willy back and Davis will have taken all the #2 reps.

Keeping Willy means we're paying about $200K for half a season of backup QB insurance that we hope we never need to use. If we do, we hope that he can find the game he had a couple of years back before all the injuries.

Exactly, Some people have argued that that is a bad idea and some people have argued that it isn't; personally I see merit in both sides and fall on the side that it is a good idea. I'm not going to elaborate as to why, because it seems at this point the arguments have been made and that aspect of this thread is just going in circles.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

IR'ing Willy is only an advantage if he stays there longer than 6 weeks. If you 6 game Willy, he can't practice for 4 weeks. Davis takes over the #2 spot on the roster anyway. If Nichols gets hurt in the first 6 weeks, Davis goes into the game, you have no SMS advantage if you bring Willy back and Davis will have taken all the #2 reps.

Keeping Willy means we're paying about $200K for half a season of backup QB insurance that we hope we never need to use. If we do, we hope that he can find the game he had a couple of years back before all the injuries.

I'm not that concerned about the backup QB in-game.  More concerned about if Nichols goes out long term and we need to start someone else for an extended period.  In that case, yes Willy will miss out on a maximum of 4 weeks of practice but will still be able to get a full week of reps in before the next game when he is needed, and obviously all the subsequent games.  In the meantime, sure Davis gets more reps in practice.  That's a bad thing?  Maybe nice to get a better idea what we have in him before shipping out our only other option, no?

As for having no SMS advantage because we took Willy off the 6-game, well duh, Nichols will be on the 6-game so his salary is off the books.

Edited by Atomic
well duh

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

As for having no SMS advantage because we took Willy off the 6-game, well duh, Nichols will be on the 6-game so his salary is off the books.

Unless Nichols is just playing awful and we've lost 3 games in a row and we need to start our backup QB. 

I know it has been said before but I can't believe there is this great big discussion about the cap status when we really don't know all the salaries. This is just throwing mud or whatever. I think we can discuss merits of play calling or player performance but salary cap management is almost completely opaque. Just look how long it took for the green team to get their knuckles rapped. 

14 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Not easy, I know. Our depth is razor thin. on the roster & with the salary cap.

Could not disagree more... I think all the injuries have proven we finally have adequate depth on this team for the first time in several years...

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

I am sure Walters does no planning with the SMS for various senarios that might occurred during the year and how he will handle it before the season. 

Get your logic outta here... you're ruining the fun!

seriously though... for anyone on a fan forum to suggest they have even the remotest idea of our salary cap situation is laughable...

17 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think people forget how much terrible quarterback play we've had over the years. It would be wise to keep Willy around for the playoff push this season.

And injuries. When was the last time a QB played all 18 games?

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Well, I bet those QBs are not making big $$$.

It will be a budgeting issue, for sure. Can't just 'find' $100,000 when you're spending up to the cap. Even if you cut a guy making $100,000 and replace him for 9 games with a guy making $80,000, that's only $10,000 in savings. Etc, etc, etc.

That being said, Walters has been looking at this and all the scenarios since last fall when he started putting his budget together.

How does Ottawa do it with 2 starting QB salaries....

Same with Calgary .....

How do other teams survive when they over pay for massive salaries on receivers or aging vets.

The Blue are far from being a team with a massive pay roll.

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Same with Calgary .....

How do other teams survive when they over pay for massive salaries on receivers or aging vets.

I'll ask them.

But since we have no idea where the Blue Bombers are versus the cap, what salaries they're paying, etc, we're all just speculating.

I guess the point of this thread should be, if paying Nicholl's his bonuses means we have to cut someone (or $XXX), who should get cut?

I guess Cronk. The victim  of the Nicholl's bonuses! :)

32 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Same with Calgary .....

The Blue are far from being a team with a massive pay roll.

They don't have 2 starting QB salaries. Reports at the time he signed indicated Harris' salary takes a huge bump to the $400,000 range next season.

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

They don't have 2 starting QB salaries. Reports at the time he signed indicated Harris' salary takes a huge bump to the $400,000 range next season.

I think his point is Burris' salary = Willy's salary and Harris' salary = Nichols' salary... give or take....

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm not that concerned about the backup QB in-game.  More concerned about if Nichols goes out long term and we need to start someone else for an extended period.  In that case, yes Willy will miss out on a maximum of 4 weeks of practice but will still be able to get a full week of reps in before the next game when he is needed, and obviously all the subsequent games.  In the meantime, sure Davis gets more reps in practice.  That's a bad thing?  Maybe nice to get a better idea what we have in him before shipping out our only other option, no?

If Nichols goes out for a long time, Willy or not, we're done. Either you don't remember the 1-4 start Willy led us to or are you're ignoring it. 

6 gaming Willy has almost all the perceived disadvantages of cutting him, and we get to pay him too. As for Nichols on the 6 game instead of Willy, his salary is less than half of what Willy makes and unless he goes down in the next 3 games, his bonus has to be paid from the SMS.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Here we go again with the depth is bad when you have to pay for it nonsense. 

Nope, its the depth is bad if you have to vastly overpay for it argument. You're one of the first who would jump all over Taman for paying $400K+ for a backup QB, but because we're doing it, it's not only OK, but nonsense for anyone to have a different opinion.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I am sure Walter does no planning with the SMS for various senarios that might occurred during the year and how he will handle it before the season. 

You think that Walters went into the season saying 'How will we handle the SMS if Willy stinks the joint out so we have to start Nichols'?

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Nope, its the depth is bad if you have to vastly overpay for it argument. You're one of the first who would jump all over Taman for paying $400K+ for a backup QB, but because we're doing it, it's not only OK, but nonsense for anyone to have a different opinion.

That's not true, I have never bad mouthed Taman. He does what he does and I get it and he put better teams on the field for us than many have since so why do you think I flip flopped on my support of him?