Nicholls's Potential Bonus

rebusrankin

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Why does it have to be a fat contract elsewhere?  I doubt the Bombers would re-negotiate Willy into a fat contract.... I imagine they would be looking to drop him down to backup QB salary, which he could easily get elsewhere.

It's a case of: Do you want to make backup QB money with the Bombers or roll the dice that another team wants to sign you to backup QB money?

I doubt there would be many takers unless/until a starting QB goes down. Cgy, BC, Edm, Ott - definite no. Ham most likely to go back to Masoli even if Collaros goes down again. Mtl most likely to go to Cato if Glenn goes down. Regina might be a good bet, but do they have the SMS room to take on another backup QB? Do they even care?

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's a case of: Do you want to make backup QB money with the Bombers or roll the dice that another team wants to sign you to backup QB money?

I doubt there would be many takers unless/until a starting QB goes down. Cgy, BC, Edm, Ott - definite no. Ham most likely to go back to Masoli even if Collaros goes down again. Mtl most likely to go to Cato if Glenn goes down. Regina might be a good bet, but do they have the SMS room to take on another backup QB? Do they even care?

Toronto is noticeably absent from your analysis and would be the obvious choice

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

How much of a reduction are we talking?

Who knows for sure? A bunch? Base salary of $150-200K plus bonuses?

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Toronto is noticeably absent from your analysis and would be the obvious choice

I forgot about Toronto. Ray's back this week. Kilgore who knows the system vs Willy who was good in 2014. Most likely spot I guess.

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Who knows for sure? A bunch? Base salary of $150-200K plus bonuses?

I forgot about Toronto. Ray's back this week. Kilgore who knows the system vs Willy who was good in 2014. Most likely spot I guess.

When is the last time Willy threw 5 picks?  and Kilgore?  Thanks, I'll take my winnings in cash.

PLAP is all about protecting the ball. Brady and Milanovich... Not so worried about it. Kilgore and Willy both won a game this year. I'd take Willy over Kilgore right now, but age, cost, gunslinger mentality and knowing the system come into play too.

Edited by TBURGESS
Removed a redundant and

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Why does it have to be a fat contract elsewhere?  I doubt the Bombers would re-negotiate Willy into a fat contract.... I imagine they would be looking to drop him down to backup QB salary, which he could easily get elsewhere.

If you think it through, if Willy was resigned to accept  lower contract, why would he go elsewhere to  new system and team and have to start all over again when he could have essentially the same money here along with a known situation?

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

If you think it through, if Willy was resigned to accept  lower contract, why would he go elsewhere to  new system and team and have to start all over again when he could have essentially the same money here along with a known situation?

But if Willy feels he's lost the faith of the coaching staff, it may be too hard to regain it.

It will depend on who gets the back-up reps both on the field and on the practice field.

If sees too many obstacles, he may want to move on. It's not as though he's spent much time or had much success in the new Lapo offense.

11 minutes ago, tracker said:

Because taking a pay cut is basically like a slap in the face?  I doubt he is lacking in confidence in terms of believing he can pick up a new system.

23 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Because taking a pay cut is basically like a slap in the face?  I doubt he is lacking in confidence in terms of believing he can pick up a new system.

A slap in the face is a little dramatic considering the situation. The team showed a tremendous amount of faith in Willy by giving him the big contract before he earned it. A readjustment at this point in time is just admitting to the new reality.

Frankly, if I were Willy's agent, I'd be quietly talking to other teams to gauge the amount of interest there is in signing Willy if the Bombers cut him. It might be in Willy's best interest to say no and wait until the next starting QB goes down.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

That's what Tracker is referring to. Renegotiate his contract down to where it should be based on starts & performance or get cut & takes his chances elsewhere. My understanding is that once a player is cut his contract is no longer valid. he has to sign a new deal & it could be for a lot less than a renegotiated one.

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

A slap in the face is a little dramatic considering the situation. The team showed a tremendous amount of faith in Willy by giving him the big contract before he earned it. A readjustment at this point in time is just admitting to the new reality.

Perhaps.  I haven't once argued that it would be in Willy's best interest to walk away rather than renegotiate.  I'm only saying, that's what I would do.  But I am a very prideful and stubborn individual.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Perhaps.  I haven't once argued that it would be in Willy's best interest to walk away rather than renegotiate.  I'm only saying, that's what I would do.  But I am a very prideful and stubborn individual.

Where would he go? The clusterfuck in Saskatchewan? To a sinking organization in Toronto to be the next lap dog for Ray & never see the field? To Montreal where a contract to Jim Popp means absolutely nothing & be stuck behind Kevin Glenn & Rakeem Cato?? Teams are set at qb in Ottawa, Calgary, BC, Edmonton & Hamilton. Sure just walk away... to nothing.

7 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Where would he go? The clusterfuck in Saskatchewan? To a sinking organization in Toronto to be the next lap dog for Ray & never see the field? To Montreal where a contract to Jim Popp means absolutely nothing & be stuck behind Kevin Glenn & Rakeem Cato?? Teams are set at qb in Ottawa, Calgary, BC, Edmonton & Hamilton. Sure just walk away... to nothing.

Wow.  Maybe he should just end his life today with that bleak outlook.  Yikes.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Wow.  Maybe he should just end his life today with that bleak outlook.  Yikes.

All of that aside I'm sure he still wants to play for O'shea, the org has been nothing but good to him and his family is probably all here now. Taking a pay cut will definitely mean a lot in WBB fans books and it will be an opportunity for him to earn his spot back if his contract is heavily based on incentives,