what to do with the Def. backfield

4 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

you don't find spots for anyone until they earn it back. The days of the country club at Canad Inns need to be over.

I think Randle gets his spot back without any further "earning." I figure Roberts is the first one to get pushed out of the starting lineup , Adams will need to work his way back in.

27 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

you don't find spots for anyone until they earn it back. The days of the country club at Canad Inns need to be over.

Maybe so, but Randle may be one of the best players on the team. Either side of the ball.  He gets a starters job back, no questions asked. 

Same thing you'll see at REC.  First one back of Adams, Dressler and Smith will immediately be inserted back, IMO. 

Even if Macho is healthy keep him on the 6 week dl. We need the cap relief because chance are good Nichols reaches his bonuses. That gives the coaches more time to evaluate Lofler...I dont care how good he looks 2 games is not enough of a look...remember Shabaz? I don't know how you keep Randle or Adams out of the line up or who they replace. It is a good problem to have for once. Thank you Walters and the scouting staff.

3 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

Even if Macho is healthy keep him on the 6 week dl. We need the cap relief because chance are good Nichols reaches his bonuses. That gives the coaches more time to evaluate Lofler...I dont care how good he looks 2 games is not enough of a look...remember Shabaz? I don't know how you keep Randle or Adams out of the line up or who they replace. It is a good problem to have for once. Thank you Walters and the scouting staff.

Loffler has more than proven himself IMO, Randle i agree is an upgrade over Roberts at this point but Roberts has shown promise. Dress, Adams and Smith will all be back. 

My point is that i feel like things have been handed to incumbents way too easily on this team in the past, the fact that we've dipped into free agency this year clearly points out that the days of "He's good enough" are over.

Randle 100% goes back in. We need his huge hits to set the tone. We've been very susceptible to quick outs that somehow turn into huge plays, he should shore that up quickly.

Roberts has been serviceable, but his pick six against Hamilton was a gift from Masoli. It wasn't a Fogg or Leggett level catch.

I'd probably take Adams over Frederick for now as well, but only so that Frederick has even more time to develop. They're both pretty close though and certainly a good problem to have. 

32 minutes ago, LimJahey said:

Loffler has more than proven himself IMO, Randle i agree is an upgrade over Roberts at this point but Roberts has shown promise. Dress, Adams and Smith will all be back. 

pretty sure the hitting has picked up since Loffler  started playing. Not saying it's all him.

Edited by Mark F
deleted bad pun

Pretty sure Loffler has to play because 3 Americans on the Oline 

Let's just...  

Goossen Chungh 

Kohlert 

A Harris 

Westerman Shologan 

Yup. Loffler for sure cuz starting Hurl isn't a good idea. Playing JFG over an American receiver isn't a good idea. 

Neufeld is 6 gamed I believe 

No other real option. Loffler stays at safety 

Randle will take Roberts spot 

Adams or Frederick?  Rotate them both 

Receivers? Dressler will be back and then Smith. Adams is probably long term. 

Dressler Smith Denmark Davis Kohlert 

Dressler takes K Adams spot. Smith prob takes Mayo spot 

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

pretty sure the hitting has picked up since Loffler  started playing. Not saying it's all him.

It may not be all him but in the past hard hitting safeties set a tone for the defence.  I think it fires up the db's as a group, gives them an extra hop in their step and  boosts the confidence but then I am being kind of old school here.  

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Pretty sure Loffler has to play because 3 Americans on the Oline 

Let's just...  

Goossen Chungh 

Kohlert 

A Harris 

Westerman Shologan 

Yup. Loffler for sure cuz starting Hurl isn't a good idea. Playing JFG over an American receiver isn't a good idea. 

Neufeld is 6 gamed I believe 

No other real option. Loffler stays at safety 

Randle will take Roberts spot 

Adams or Frederick?  Rotate them both 

Receivers? Dressler will be back and then Smith. Adams is probably long term. 

Dressler Smith Denmark Davis Kohlert 

Dressler takes K Adams spot. Smith prob takes Mayo spot 

The only thing I disagree with you is keep Frederick in, no rotation.

Not sure if Posey is really injured or not but he doesn't seem to have much of a future beyond PR, same goes for Roberts at this point even though he has looked decent.  A decision will have to be made in the LB group between Burnett and Knox at some point as well.  Can't keep everybody, shuffle, shuffle.