what to do with the Def. backfield

1 hour ago, gcn11 said:

Johnny Adams is an all star DB. If you don't play him when he's healthy then you should trade him. Sitting him is crazy talk.

why would you sit a player who is playing well though? in my mind its what have you done for me lately and being injured isn't a hell of a lot. 

4 hours ago, LimJahey said:

as far as i can remember hes not an awful special teams player

certainly worth keeping around for teams and leadership. That said we have such an embarrassment of riches at DB it wont be easy to do so. 

Johnson has been getting picked on hard last couple games. He might be a candidate for a scratch to see if a shake up helps, or maybe hes playing banged up.

Frederick and randal 100% have to be in the line up if healthy. Fogg will be as healthy too. Though if we can move him to extra db / DI it would probably be best. He makes big plays in the secondary but hes a gambler. He seemed to be getting spread a bit thin the last 2 games too. Gotta keep him healthy. 

I think we get our best pieces in, try and hold on to and hide the rest for a bit rotate through till we find the best secondary out of what we have then see if we cant trade a guy or two. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

certainly worth keeping around for teams and leadership. That said we have such an embarrassment of riches at DB it wont be easy to do so. 

Johnson has been getting picked on hard last couple games. He might be a candidate for a scratch to see if a shake up helps, or maybe hes playing banged up.

Frederick and randal 100% have to be in the line up if healthy. Fogg will be as healthy too. Though if we can move him to extra db / DI it would probably be best. He makes big plays in the secondary but hes a gambler. He seemed to be getting spread a bit thin the last 2 games too. Gotta keep him healthy. 

I think we get our best pieces in, try and hold on to and hide the rest for a bit rotate through till we find the best secondary out of what we have then see if we cant trade a guy or two. 

He's in the toughest spot in the secondary so naturally he's being "picked on" He is the veteran of the group right now he's getting the hardest work load. 

I'd like to think that aside from Randle, all the other defensive injuries mentioned need to earn their spot back - coincides with the 'next man up' mentality. Football definitely is a "what have you done lately?" sport and most of the stocks of our D are riding pretty high right now, take those players out as necessary when they give you a reason to, whether it be from injury or poor play.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He's in the toughest spot in the secondary so naturally he's being "picked on" He is the veteran of the group right now he's getting the hardest work load. 

Normally you pick on the rookies. We saw some of that early to no effect, johnson has been beat like a red headed step child the last two weeks. Luckily it didnt come back to haunt us too much. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Normally you pick on the rookies. We saw some of that early to no effect, johnson has been beat like a red headed step child the last two weeks. Luckily it didnt come back to haunt us too much. 

Johnson is now feeling the love that Demond Washington used to receive.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

16 hours ago, LimJahey said:

why would you sit a player who is playing well though? in my mind its what have you done for me lately and being injured isn't a hell of a lot. 

You dress Adams and rotate him in and see if he is the same player he was prior to injury. If he is, then you give him the job. Actually, it will mean he has taken the job straight up. Then you look to extend him and start talking contract extension. We have Fredericks on a 2 year deal, he will get his chance in the secondary.

If the plan is just to roll with Fredericks then we should try unload Adams for a draft pick or useful player elsewhere and get some value from Adams. He would be highly coveted at his age and ability level.

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Thought Johnson struggled to start the year but since his injury he's been solid. Fogg got beat pretty huge last week tho but he played well besides that. Don't really recall Johnson getting picked on much 

Johnson has been excellent since returning from injury. Very solid. I was a guy who was on the fence about him last year and earlier this year, but he has really stepped up lately. That is why I am not flogging a secondary that puts Randle/Adams in his spot as an easy solution to our plethora of DBs.

Edited by gcn11

I might be in the minority here, but I might make Fogg the full time returner and maybe have him back up in the secondary. reminds a lot like Jovan Johnson, ball hawking DB but good returner, but I think when playing one or the other his game can be elevated. If our issue is an abundance of capable DBs, then I dont see the harm in having Fogg focus on those returns solely

39 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I might be in the minority here, but I might make Fogg the full time returner and maybe have him back up in the secondary. reminds a lot like Jovan Johnson, ball hawking DB but good returner, but I think when playing one or the other his game can be elevated. If our issue is an abundance of capable DBs, then I dont see the harm in having Fogg focus on those returns solely

there is a difference between capable and exceptional. Fogg these last couple game has been exceptional. Quincey Mcduffie is also a great returner in case you forgot but you'd be crazy to take Fogg out of the secondary.

I prefer to have a dedicated returner so that they take the brunt of the punishment without jeopardizing a starting position.  Having a few exceptional returners on the squad allows the flexibility to change things up or give a boost occasionally but also provides great backup insurance if the main returner goes down during a game.  Kevin Fogg is too valuable at HB to risk as a full time returner, they all get broken.

I think the problem is that the newer guys seem to be very comparable in what they bring to the table. Honestly,  I don't see much of a drop off either way in the db back field. What are the intangibles? Who can contribute more in other ways? Vets bring leadership and rookies bring a bit more hunger and a much lower price tag. Who contributes more on ST? Maybe  it would be a good idea to see which player might bring the best return in a trade.  If the club could shed some more salary  perhaps they could/would be able extend someone like Chung or Westerman a bit sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

I think the problem is that the newer guys seem to be very comparable in what they bring to the table. Honestly,  I don't see much of a drop off either way in the db back field. What are the intangibles? Who can contribute more in other ways? Vets bring leadership and rookies bring a bit more hunger and a much lower price tag. Who contributes more on ST? Maybe  it would be a good idea to see which player might bring the best return in a trade.  If the club could shed some more salary  perhaps they could/would be able extend someone like Chung or Westerman a bit sooner rather than later.

How would a trade help us? Injuries happen and unless youre getting a big return that you cant pass up count me out. 

Kyle Walters said on 1290 that teams are always looking for DBs, recievers and Dlinemen. You can never have too many of those guys

18 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Keep going - who was he covering? How many of those plays were zone or cover zero? 

We dont mix a lot of zone in, what zone we play is mostly match zone any way. We seldom run cover 0 as we dont all out blitz often. Lofflers been playing deep since he went in. That said a safety in the cfl doesnt supply a ton of help for blown coverage. 5-6 wrs seldom less then 2 running deep to medium long routes. Its really tough for teams that dont play a ton of zone. 

But its not like hes just blowing coverage a lot, hes getting beat. Which is why he may well still be playing hurt. Especially with how banged up we allready are. 

4 hours ago, LimJahey said:

How would a trade help us? Injuries happen and unless youre getting a big return that you cant pass up count me out. 

Kyle Walters said on 1290 that teams are always looking for DBs, recievers and Dlinemen. You can never have too many of those guys

if we get fully healthy trading some of our dbs could net us some thing really good. That said what we really need isnt in great supply. NI ol, wr, a high end qb prospect to groom etc.  This year certainly seems to be even harder on wr/dbs for injuries league wide. But who knows if we can get 100% healthy.