Time for a Real GM

Floyd

9 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

The person who comes here and is able to win the Grey Cup, will be a King around here. They will probably get their own statue!

Can't remember the details but a few years ago some Bomber fan posted somewhere that the next guy to bring a Grey Cup home to Winnipeg may find himself dipped in gold and planted on top of City Hall.

That post has stuck in my mind ever since.

43 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

And we haven't scored over 30 points in how many games?

What this team has done (Lapo more specifically) has put shackles on Willy so that his first read is so basic that it's always a short, high percentage completion pass. The problem with that is, other teams obviously know this and are playing extremely tight on the receivers (the exception being Hamilton for who knows what reason) so when that first read is gone, Willy is essentially a sitting duck because he more often than not has five receivers all within ten yards of the LOS (of course the opposing defence plays a different style when they're up multiple scores late in games, which is why things open up in garbage time).

The team needs, whether it's Willy or Nichols is to just let them play football. Yes our offensive line is a joke but they need to have options to throw the ball down field - and if they get hurt then that's just the risk you take. The QB is going to take shots and get hit. Gale did the same tonight. We're playing scared offensively and every defence in the league knows it. 

I'd much rather lose, and risk our quarterbacks while playing to win instead of watching boring, vanilla football and losing playing scared.

3 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Willy was a sitting duck last year in MB's offense. Now he's a sitting duck this year in LaPo's. Maybe he's is what he is, if it walk & quacks like a duck it's a duck.  In other words, Willy isn't good enough to be a starting qb.

Maybe the same group of OL who struggled with basic pass protection and getting on a body last year are the quackers.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Maybe the same group of OL who struggled with basic pass protection and getting on a body last year are the quackers.

Nah, as who gives a **** about last year now. I'll put my money on our overpaid & underperforming qb. He's getting more time this year & he's choking. He's done like dinner as in roast duck.

Willy seems to have that Buck Pierce deer in the headlights gaze. It could be argued that perhaps it's a bit of PTSD....he's just too hesitant on each and every play regardless of how much pressure is coming. There seems to be that he has zero confidence or perhaps the synapses just aren't firing fast enough. He no longer displays the "quick kill" instinct he once had when he first came into the league.

Nichols is a just plain and simple a bandaid solution that is just going to delay the progress of the two fresh and hungry guys on the depth chart. Both Davis and Bennett are our the only hope we have. There has been not even a whisper of any type of potential saviour-like QB's on our neg list to even wish for. I see this situation getting worse before it gets better unfortunately. We aren't even close to a rebuild yet.

Edited by Dirty30

31 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Willy seems to have that Buck Pierce deer in the headlights gaze. It could be argued that perhaps it's a bit of PTSD....he's just too hesitant on each and every play regardless of how much pressure is coming. There seems to be that he has zero confidence or perhaps the synapses just aren't firing fast enough. He no longer displays the "quick kill" instinct he once had when he first came into the league.

Nichols is a just plain and simple a bandaid solution that is just going to delay the progress of the two fresh and hungry guys on the depth chart. Both Davis and Bennett are our the only hope we have. There has been not even a whisper of any type of potential saviour-like QB's on our neg list to even wish for. I see this situation getting worse before it gets better unfortunately. We aren't even close to a rebuild yet.

As has been said here repeatedly, Nichols, Davis and Bennett may or may not be the answer, but the evidence is now overwhelming that Willy is not, if he ever was. Willy may be able to resurrect his career, as Kevin Glenn  did, but he is done here. It would take a large miracle for us to make the playoffs this year, so lets use the rest of the season constructively to sort out the sheep from the goats.

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Willy was a sitting duck last year in MB's offense. Now he's a sitting duck this year in LaPo's. Maybe he's is what he is, if it walk & quacks like a duck it's a duck.  In other words, Willy isn't good enough to be a starting qb.

No one was saying that when he marched the length of the field to win games against Hamilton and Montreal on the road. No one was saying that last year, or the year before when we started 5-1. You have to know what you're watching.

Willy is no doubt struggling this year. The picks (especially in the situations) against Edmonton and Calgary are inexcusable. That said he has shown before that he is very capable of being a starting QB in this league.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Nah, as who gives a **** about last year now. I'll put my money on our overpaid & underperforming qb. He's getting more time this year & he's choking. He's done like dinner as in roast duck.

If you truly think he is getting more time this year. You have no idea what you're watching. I'd highly encourage you, regardless of who starts on Thursday to watch Goossen and Neufeld. They are awful. Hell,  even Stanley Bryant is looking pretty awful these days. If you want to pretend the line isn't a problem, watch Andrew Harris running the football.

I don't think anyone is saying Willy isn't struggling. He is. Big time. That said, there's reasons for it that go well beyond "he isn't a good quarterback" or anything along that line of thinking.

I honestly don't think the Bombers problems have much to do with personnel at this point, it's more their attitude.  Whether that attitude transcends from Willy, O'Shea or higher up the chain, we really don't know yet.

Look at Sask., those  players are still desperately fighting for their jobs because they fear Jones and he has made it clear from the start that it doesn't matter who you are, winning is what it's about for each and every player and nobody is beyond being replaced (Lemon).  Fear is alive and well in Sask. while Wpg. desperately struggles to build a team based on trust, goodwill and camaraderie.

Conversely the Bombers go into training camp and roll into the season with half a roster of talented "untouchables" and a handful of players who "made the club from the tub" knowing that the Coach has their back.  This creates an atmosphere of acceptance and comfort level in losing rationalized by "it wasn't my fault" which is then transmitted onto new players brought into the system.  This disease has even been absorbed by all-star caliber veterans who are at this point marking time and cashing pay cheques until something major happens.  Notable exceptions are Wild, Bass, Leggett and Andrew Harris who are all  playing with an inspired level of desperation and doing everything in their power to make big plays and change the tide.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Mitchell Gale succeeded with a patchwork OL, a centre who can't snap, a raw rookie SB and Curtis Steele as his RB

Willy has much more than this to work with... he's done, plain and simple.

To claim that MB and Lapo have not tried to scheme the long ball is ridiculous.  Yeah, I don't really like their game planning... but MB called some really nice games early on in his bomber tenure.  Lapo has tried calling the long game, Willy just can't do it.

How is it the OC or OLs fault that Willy has begun locking into his #1 target?  Both Gale and Jensen were able to look off DBs... Willy can't, neither can Nichols.  That's it.

Starting to feel sorry for Gary Crowton...

2 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

No one was saying that when he marched the length of the field to win games against Hamilton and Montreal on the road. No one was saying that last year, or the year before when we started 5-1. You have to know what you're watching.

Willy is no doubt struggling this year. The picks (especially in the situations) against Edmonton and Calgary are inexcusable. That said he has shown before that he is very capable of being a starting QB in this league.

That was then and this is now.

Actually people were saying that last year.

Its unfortunate but concussions/injuries ruin good QBs... for instance, Matt Nichols... Buck Pierce...

Or our next QB Travis Lulay...

My take on Willy is that we needed...expected...more than he is capable of...In other words, a backup, trying to look like a starter that never really had the goods...To pay him starters money has compounded the situation, as now fans want to get their moneys worth, so to speak, and he can't deliver...We also have a coach that can't/won't recognize that fact adding further to our dilemma ...We are probably stuck with both until seasons end....I hope 'do or die' has many cases of gin on hand, because this could be one helluva bender.

If a very average QB like Nichols can come in the game and immediately outplay Willy, that really doesn't say anything good to me regarding his future.

Willy may in fact rebound as a decent QB in the CFL, but watching him play I'm absolutely convinced that it wont be here. 

Edited by Blueandgold

If you truly think he is getting more time this year. You have no idea what you're watching. I'd highly encourage you, regardless of who starts on Thursday to watch Goossen and Neufeld. They are awful. Hell,  even Stanley Bryant is looking pretty awful these days. If you want to pretend the line isn't a problem, watch Andrew Harris running the football.

I don't think anyone is saying Willy isn't struggling. He is. Big time. That said, there's reasons for it that go well beyond "he isn't a good quarterback" or anything along that line of thinking.

Okay, but we had all of those players last year and Willy still looked like a good QB. The team around Willy is actually playing significantly better than they did last year, but Willy himself is playing significantly worse.

We all know you're the biggest Willy fan there is on this site, but the guy flat out sucks. Is he the only problem? No of course not. But is he the biggest wart? Absolutely. 

44 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

If a very average QB like Nichols can come in the game and immediately outplay Willy, that really doesn't say anything good to me regarding his future.

Willy may in fact rebound as a decent QB in the CFL, but watching him play I'm absolutely convinced that it wont be here. 

Nichols outplayed Willy?  10% lower completion percentage, less yards per completion, sacked more often.  You'd have to stretch pretty hard to put forth an objective argument that fits that narrative.  Short TD drive was nice, but basically nothing else from Nichols.

QB is down the list of problems with this offense.  Basic blocking just doesn't exist, play calling stinks and guys are playing roles they don't fit (the 5'4 guy on fades).  This TEAM stinks.

4 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

Buck needs to stop regaling Willy with his old war stories, Willy ends up lying sleepless at night muttering "please god, don't let that happen to me".  Plus being newly married he's probably adjusting to sleeping on the couch a fair bit.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nichols outplayed Willy?  10% lower completion percentage, less yards per completion, sacked more often.  You'd have to stretch pretty hard to put forth an objective argument that fits that narrative.  Short TD drive was nice, but basically nothing else from Nichols.

QB is down the list of problems with this offense.  Basic blocking just doesn't exist, play calling stinks and guys are playing roles they don't fit (the 5'4 guy on fades).  This TEAM stinks.

The situations they were placed in can't be excluded if we're going to just look at the stats. Nichols had two drives, Willy had almost all of the game. Nichols came in already down on the scoreboard, and by the time he had his second drive he was down 15 with under three minutes to go. I would imagine those factors might have something to do with it. Nichols needed to push downfield, especially on that last drive.

Willy's stats are always going to be good because he's completing a bunch of high percentage throws. I think a more fair comparison stats-wise would be once we see what Nichols does when he eventually does start. Add a bunch of short screens to his numbers like Willy had and I would imagine they're going to be comparable.

Again, I'll reiterate that this isn't a glowing endorsement of Nichols. I don't think either quarterback is very good, to be honest. There is just no way I think you can compare Nichols statistics fairly to Willy's when playing time and score situation were clearly not equal.

25 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nichols was playing behind a line with two starters gone plus Calgary did not have to respect the run. Nichols' record last year was nothing to write home about but this team appears to be significantly upgraded on offence. Willy has had his kick at the cat and lets let Nichols show that he belongs or not.