Preseason 2 - Ottawa

Jpan85

After PS G1, we were talking about how great the recruiting looked....all the OL were outstanding...couldn't believe it!! Then PS G2 and it's "recruiting still sucks! We can't find import OL to save our lives!!1!" 

How did it change from Game 1 to Game 2? 

Honestly I would say that the recruiting has improved this season, the 3rd and 4th stringers have "won" both 2nd halves of games this preseason, it was the #1s that got beaten. So that could still point to the fact that we are lacking at the top end a bit. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly I would say that the recruiting has improved this season, the 3rd and 4th stringers have "won" both 2nd halves of games this preseason, it was the #1s that got beaten. So that could still point to the fact that we are lacking at the top end a bit. 

Don't think you are lacking. Couture, Chung, Goosen are all young. Lots of promise there, lots IMO.

If Lapo is "playing possum" (and I think so up to a point) with the new look O.....fine.   As long as with 10 days prep time, the opener does not look like "road kill"  Or we have yet another uber slow start on O, which puts us behind the 8-ball.

Edited by do or die

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

After PS G1, we were talking about how great the recruiting looked....all the OL were outstanding...couldn't believe it!! Then PS G2 and it's "recruiting still sucks! We can't find import OL to save our lives!!1!" 

How did it change from Game 1 to Game 2? 

Redblacks defense > Alouettes defense  ???

Only an X game, but.....overall,  some of the optics on O were pretty disturbing.......slow start, dink and dunk passing attack, terrible short yardage conversions, OL looking shaky, etc, etc, etc....

Sort of like playing tapes.....of the last few years.

We should see the "full" package on O, in the opener.....then we will see......something or other

Edited by do or die

Neufeld played good I thought, problems on oline were in the middle. Goosen struggled all night, bad snap that was a fumble on the third down that you converted. Macho was brutal, got matador'd on the td, the one that didn't count because they said he stepped out of bounds. Sheppard looked good. Flanders looked good. Carlos Anderson wasn't good again this week, he isn't blocking good either.  Nichols looked good.  McDuffie played ok, but his hands are scary, he is depth guy and returner IMO, not a starter. Issues I see are Oline and secondary. Burris picked them apart. May improve with the starters on dline in, and likely will with more upfront pressure.  

50 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Redblacks defense > Alouettes defense  ???

Both Thorpe and Nelson play super aggressive D...  it could just be that Nelson had film to watch... and realized that pressuring Willy still throws him off

What we saw in game 1 was not a typical Thorpe D either

Edited by Floyd

Goossen was on roller skates a lot and that caused the whole O-line to shift. I think we need to give the team, and the offense in particular three games to show both competence and consistency- defences typically gel faster than offenses and we have some significant upgrades there (Cummings, Shologan, Wild, Butcher, Corney and Knox if he ever gets healthy).

Not defending the offence last night, but I can say in the two days I attended camp the offensive plays in camp and what we saw last night are completely night and day. Vast difference between what we saw in preseason and what the offence will actually look like. It concerns me that execution was so poor last night with such a simplified playbook though.

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

Our LS is actually a WR by trade... though no one ever expects to see him on the offense... unless you're referring to Tim Cronk, the back up (possibly 3rd string after Wild)... he's a FB...

he was, till he bulked up to 240 lbs.  No way wild is long snapping unless we suffer injuries call for it. 

I remain concerned about the O-line and the secondary. Especially the O-line. It has been a major concern for 3 years now and I just don't see where it has improved much. 

How is it our vanilla doesn't taste as good as other teams vanilla? 
We should actually come out of the locker room ten minutes earlier than the other teams so we'll be closer to they're starting point.
What happened to that hurry up, fast-paced tempo of an offence we've been hearing about?   We must be saving it.
Doesn't it all start with the QB? And if it does, someone needs to slap Drew Willy upside of the helmet because he ain't getting it done. I don't care if it's pre-season or off-season or no-reason season, I'd like to see some urgency.
It does seems to me, however, that teams are definitely gaming their game, to attack Willy, because they know how he'll react. Not well. 
It's not a good feeling to start questioning your starting QB, but c'mon, vanilla or not, where's the fire in his eyes?
And the O-line? Does vanilla mean you don't have to communicate to each other? And protect the one guy who can win the game for you?
2 first down attempts, within a yard, and you fail? Big time crap out. Although, to be fair, emptying the backfield kinda telegraphs who's moving the ball doesn't it?

Matt Nichols. He shows he knows what to do, to get to get something done. Maybe not in the best way....but, he moved the ball.

The letter G will replace the letter C in Kevin Cone's name.
Flanders made sure Anderson will hold the door open for Cone, then follow him out. P Scott, K. Adams, Talley, CJ Roberts? will join them. Maybe not right away, but..soon.
I like T. Sherman, but he's not a cover guy.
Sheppard made some catches. Enough to hang on?
Henry Burris is not finished.
#3 QB position? Close, but we'll go with the default position..for now. Davis over Bennett.
Rush and Renaud made some plays. 
Ian Wild's position is safe.
Yawn..another putrid interview mid-game. I'm not sure who thinks this is good, riveting TV.
So, MOS has 'no concern' with the Bomber offence? That's concerning.

Finally, it's not the loss that bothers me so much, it's the way we didn't play.

No comment on Bucknor? I thought he was terrible. Just getting clowned out there.

Randle didn't have his best game either. 

Castillo, after playing well most of the game, misses the one we need to tie it? That sucked.

I think we got a glimpse of how far we still have to go to be a good team.

Partial mulligan on it being an X game, alright.   Certainly did not expect the full O package, though execution was lacking.....

But with 10 day prep for the opener.......any excuses about not holding blocks, slow start, not getting the ball out on time, not being able to get 6 inches on 3rd down..et al.

......will not be accepted

12 minutes ago, J5V said:

No comment on Bucknor? I thought he was terrible. Just getting clowned out there.

Randle didn't have his best game either. 

Castillo, after playing well most of the game, misses the one we need to tie it? That sucked.

I think we got a glimpse of how far we still have to go to be a good team.

The **** were you watching? Randle played real well. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

The o-line looking gassed I can chalk up to 2 games in 5 days.  All the more reason to get the ball out quicker though.  Willy taking hits in a meaningless game is unacceptable for any reason.

That's on Willy a lot. he does hang on to the ball too long. He's no Anthony Calvillo when it comes to getting the ball out quickly. Combine with poor OL play & it's a cluster**** on offense. My question is why... WHY... is it taking so long for Kyle Walters to rebuild an offensive line? Five positions... that's all there is. Five. Yet it's taking years.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The **** were you watching? Randle played real well. 

There was a throw-behind to the endzone in the first quarter that he just casually reached back and flicked away.  Fantastic play.

Usually a throw-behind is a 50/50 shot at pass interference in the CFL.  Not on #randleisland.

Remember back in the good old days when quarterbacks tried to hit receivers in stride on deep balls? I hate the throw-behind. #oldguyrantsatclouds