bombers draft in review.

wbbfan

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The interesting thing about that video is that every GM throws out the "we had this guy #1 the whole time" line after they've made their picks, but with how giddy Kyle Walters is I'd actually believe it. The man was about 2 seconds away from breaking into a victory dance

I said to Wes this morning "Kyle Walters isn't that good an actor...none of those guys are....that stuff was all legit for sure"......

4 hours ago, mbrg said:

Since some like to act like the Bombers can do no right and the Jets can do no wrong...

2011+NHL+Entry+Draft+Round+One+H77lL9tF7

That's Mark Chipman there for Scheifele's draft.

It would be much more strange for a President, CEO, owner etc to not be interested in the happenings of one of the most important days of the year of any sports team.

Never said it was wrong, I like Miller's involvement...  just never saw it with bombers before, you said it was the norm...

Don't remember Buchko at the draft, etc...

1 minute ago, holoman said:

To be honest, Buchko was just as active (or at least in appearance) as Miller but people hated him from the get go that he got bashed for everything that he did whether it was good or bad. 

Nothing against Buchko...  just seemed like it was Joe Mack, Lapo or Burke, and Walters in the draft room

Same thing with Taman...  it was usually him and Bob Dyce talking about the draft

Past presidents/CEO's may have been involved but who knows?  I don't recall them doing this kind of "inside" coverage a few years ago.  Even just going back to last year, most of their coverage was a simply cut and past job from previous drafts, with them updating names and a couple quotes:

2013: 

Vice-President and General Manager Joe Mack along with the rest of the management and coaching staff of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, are extremely pleased with the players they selected in the 2013 CFL Draft.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2013/05/06/blue-bombers-pleased-with-2013-cfl-draft/

2015: 

General Manager Kyle Walters along with the rest of the management and coaching staff of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, are extremely pleased with the players they selected in the 2015 CFL Draft tonight.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2015/05/12/blue-bombers-pleased-with-2015-cfl-draft/

Draft Class Rankings: #1 Winnipeg Blue Bombers

- Trent Corney had the highest SPARQ score of any NFL draft D-line prospect and gave Top 10 NFL pick Ronnie Stanley fits in his game vs Notre Dame, now he can back up Jamaal Westerman and rip up special teams till his time to shine comes.

- Michael Couture is a great lineman who may have an immediate impact on the team’s offensive line.

- Winnipeg stole a starting safety in Taylor Loffler at #19 and now have a great deal of ratio flexibility.

- Shayne Gauthier is a good linebacker who can play lots on the teams.

- Zachary Instzandt provides O-line depth but has the potential to develop into a very good player.

- Rupert Butcher dominated at the Combine and he is a steal at #46 who can challenge to sit behind Keith Shologan on the depth chart

- Alex Vitt and Frank Renaud-Berroa can both be excellent special team’s contributors.

In my mind, Winnipeg added four future starters in this draft and won this draft hands down.

https://canadianfootballblog.wordpress.com/

To see how all the teams made out, check out the blog. 

#9 - Edmonton   #8 -  Toronto.  #7 - Montreal.  #6 Ottawa  #5 Sask.  #4 Calgary  #3 BC  #2 Hamilton

Of course...this is only one guy's opinion and heaven forbid he could be right.

"We were disappointed that better players were not available when we drafted. We didn't really have much to choose from. But we drafted these guys and they'll play for less money than some of our veterans, so they'll undoubtedly make the squad.

Wish we had more to choose from."

- No GM Ever

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Draft Class Rankings: #1 Winnipeg Blue Bombers

- Trent Corney had the highest SPARQ score of any NFL draft D-line prospect and gave Top 10 NFL pick Ronnie Stanley fits in his game vs Notre Dame, now he can back up Jamaal Westerman and rip up special teams till his time to shine comes.

- Michael Couture is a great lineman who may have an immediate impact on the team’s offensive line.

- Winnipeg stole a starting safety in Taylor Loffler at #19 and now have a great deal of ratio flexibility.

- Shayne Gauthier is a good linebacker who can play lots on the teams.

- Zachary Instzandt provides O-line depth but has the potential to develop into a very good player.

- Rupert Butcher dominated at the Combine and he is a steal at #46 who can challenge to sit behind Keith Shologan on the depth chart

- Alex Vitt and Frank Renaud-Berroa can both be excellent special team’s contributors.

In my mind, Winnipeg added four future starters in this draft and won this draft hands down.

https://canadianfootballblog.wordpress.com/

To see how all the teams made out, check out the blog. 

#9 - Edmonton   #8 -  Toronto.  #7 - Montreal.  #6 Ottawa  #5 Sask.  #4 Calgary  #3 BC  #2 Hamilton

Of course...this is only one guy's opinion and heaven forbid he could be right.

When I read this I was curious whom he considered the fourth future starter.  Instzandt or Butcher?  My guess is Butcher, but that might be because Instzandt is crazy hard to spell.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

Bombers sign The Butcher, The New Renaud and Intzandt today.....those were the easy ones. The top picks will take a little more finesse, I'd think, with signing bonuses and such.

When you say it like that it could be nice in the future to  hear play by play like "The Butcher knifed through the line and just slaughtered the quarterback".  I can raise a glass to that kind of future. 

On 2016-05-18 at 3:35 PM, Noeller said:

Bombers sign The Butcher, The New Renaud and Intzandt today.....those were the easy ones. The top picks will take a little more finesse, I'd think, with signing bonuses and such.

I have wondered what happens if a drafted player and the team just can't come to an agreement? Does the player have to sit out for year, can the team trade his rights? I don't think that I have ever heard of any national draft player not signing with his team.

2 minutes ago, Dee Urban Hermit said:

I have wondered what happens if a drafted player and the team just can't come to an agreement? Does the player have to sit out for year, can the team trade his rights? I don't think that I have ever heard of any national draft player not signing with his team.

they literally have to wait for their entry level contract to expire or convince the team to trade their rights I believe.  its happened before. 

or they can go back to school I think and somehow this releases the player from their drafted obligation.   Not 100%for sure but i can happen.

8 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

When you say it like that it could be nice in the future to  hear play by play like "The Butcher knifed through the line and just slaughtered the quarterback".  I can raise a glass to that kind of future. 

maybe there is still hope that we can sign Dwayne Slay too.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

It happened recently, too, didn't it? I thought the Argos or someone had a guy that just wouldn't sign....

Sean McKewen last year went back to school but just signed with them. He's lucky he had the option to go back to school tho. Some guys don't.  Not sure Corney and Couture have that option. 

14 hours ago, Dee Urban Hermit said:

The team can trade his rights but otherwise the player belongs to the team that drafted him indefinitely.  They can't play in the CFL or sign with any other team.  Sitting out a year, going back to school, etc. has no impact, the rights to that player will always belong to the drafting team until they sign a contract or the rights are traded away.

Edited by Atomic

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Sean McKewen last year went back to school but just signed with them. He's lucky he had the option to go back to school tho. Some guys don't.  Not sure Corney and Couture have that option. 

They're both from the NCAA, they've turned pro now and can't go back.

Great write up on Alex Vitt, way to go Ed.

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/05/19/alex-vitt-a-homegrown-story/

Ed Tait

May 18, 2016

Even if it ended right here and right now, Alex Vitt would still have a heckuva tale to tell about his football career.

His amateur resume positively glows, dating all the way back to his first days as a member of the Greendell Falcons through to the St. Vital Mustangs, Winnipeg Rifles and University of Manitoba Bisons.

But, man oh man, the 25-year-old J.H. Bruns Collegiate product would love to pen another chapter with his hometown Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Last week, Vitt was the Bombers’ seventh-round choice (55th overall) in the Canadian Football League Draft, and next week he’ll be on the field for the opening of rookie camp.

“It’s like a dream come true, to be honest,” said Vitt. “I’ve watched them play since the old Canad Inns (Stadium) days. I used to go to games there all the time. It’s great. Friends and family can come out and we’re all cheering for the same team.

Vitt posted some juicy numbers during his final year with the Bisons, pulling in 30 passes for 711 yards and four touchdowns in eight conference games. He’s got good size at 6-1, 205 lbs, but it’s the intangible stuff that has endeared him to every coach who has worked with him over the years.

“He is almost-assuredly the single-most respected player on our team,” said Bisons head coach Brian Dobie. “He’s a team captain, but he’s earned every bit of that respect. He’s humble, he’s hard working… he does everything right. Everything. The best thing I can say about Alex is he does, and will, maximize his potential in his preparation and in the moment. He learns quickly, he will hustle and he will adapt.

“He’s the consummate prep guy and then he goes out and makes big plays in games. He plays like his character: he’s relentless, he perseveres.

“Now, does he run the fastest 40? Nope. Does he have the best vertical? Nope. But at the end of the day, intrinsics count for a ton and that guy plays the game at 100 miles per hour.”

The Bombers like Vitt’s receiver skill set, but Dobie – who was to meet with Vitt on Thursday to discuss next week’s rookie camp – believes the biggest impact he could make, at least initially, is on special teams.

“No one is expecting Alex Vitt to go in and be a CFL all-star or start in his first year,” said Dobie. “But if he gets the chance, they’ll notice his abilities on special teams.

“He was the best special-teams player in our program, but we couldn’t use him there because he was our best receiver the last couple of years.”

As excited as Vitt is about his next opportunity with the Bombers, the last few days have also given him a chance to reminisce about what’s in his rear-view mirror.

“Once I get my (Bombers) helmet I’m going to take a bunch of pictures of it and reminisce about everything,” said Vitt. “And it will become real the first day of camp, absolutely.

“It’s funny, when I was with the Rifles I thought, ‘this might be it’. And then when I came to the Bisons I thought this might be the last stop as well. I guess about halfway through the year I thought, ‘Oh, wow… this (the CFL) might be a possibility.’”

Vitt was one of four Bisons selected in last week’s draft, along with defensive lineman David Onyemata (selected by Saskatchewan; signed with New Orleans after being drafted by them), offensive lineman Alex McKay (Saskatchewan) and linebacker D.J. Lalama (Edmonton).

“I had my laptop and was watching it on TV in the Bisons dressing room,” Vitt said. “Alex McKay went to Saskatchewan (three picks before him) and so we were celebrating that, I was texting him, and then my teammate beside me says, ‘Oh, Alex Vitt got picked.’ I looked down (at his laptop) and it was ‘Look at that… Winnipeg.’

“Right when my name went across my phone exploded and everyone was trying to call me. I actually missed a call from Coach O’Shea because my phone was going up. Coach Dobie had to text me to say, ‘You’ve got to call this man right now.’ I heard from him and he just said, ‘Congratulations on being picked. We want you to go out in training camp and strut your stuff, show what you can do and go smash people.’ He said don’t worry about what number you were picked, which was never an issue for me. It doesn’t matter when you are picked.

“I’m going to go in as healthy as I can, do whatever is asked of me and do it to the best of my ability. The goal right now is to make the team.”

On 5/18/2016 at 3:35 PM, Noeller said:

Loffler & Gauthier are off the list now too.