bombers draft in review.

wbbfan

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

And people say I'm negative. I will, at least give the draftees a chance before I start criticizing Walters picks.

?

I'm simply acknowledging that it is a normal practise to speak very highly of the players you just drafted.  That wasn't meant to imply an agenda.  I'd expect it from any decent GM.  That is how they should conduct themselves.  It's okay to say nice things about other people.  Even if the internet is desperately trying to get us all to behave otherwise.

My commentary on Walters' picks has been 100% praise and 0% criticism.  It can be found on page 2.

And that last year, Waggoner got even more post-draft praise than Loffler got this year.

Pretty good mixture of mild pleasant surprises, potential starters, potentials with actual potential and see-how-much-more-they-develop-back-to-school projects. They seemed to have covered their board well.

Also, it's nice to hear potential newcomers anxious to play for MOS because they have heard good things about him.

11 hours ago, IC Khari said:

I don't think TSN's coverage was brutal, more like atrocious ...

Who was the guy with Lalji & Forde? He was worse than terrible. You'd think they'd have kept the same panel from Round 1. It is a bush league looking draft. TSN could do so much more but every year they don't.

3 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

This isn't Rider fans guy. We're supposed to be the half way impartial/intelligent fan base that doesn't believe every ham n egger is starting material. 

And i never said we had to.. Im saying why assume they are all below average before even seeing some of them play the positions? Wagonner has some excellent credentials, morgan and jones are getting close to proven commodities so they need to show now or else sters for life.  Bucknor has gotta be better then below average if hes survived here and other teams for this long..

just saying no need to jump to "NONE ARE WORTHY!!" Right off the hop is all.

25 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Walters has done a great job this off-season.  Hopefully we won't be as reliant on FA in the future.

People have said Walters has had great offseasons the last couple years, hasn't made a difference and until he gets better at recruiting some players I doubt it changes because that is where your depth comes from and depth has killed this team the past couple seasons.

11 hours ago, iso_55 said:

This is the first draft in years where I'm actually excited that we picked up some players that'll really help us down the line. Can't say that about previous years.

I love that our first two picks covered both sides of the line. Building from the lines out is a great strategy and I've been waiting for multiple drafts to spend a high(er) draft pick on the DL.

If I wasn't so cynical about losing Chungh after this season, I'd be very optimistic.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

People have said Walters has had great offseasons the last couple years, hasn't made a difference and until he gets better at recruiting some players I doubt it changes because that is where your depth comes from and depth has killed this team the past couple seasons.

you are correct. But it also takes time to get the recruits that you want to come in. That and the most important depth you can have is CND depth. Which we have developed over the past few seasons. Not were I would like it to be yet, but it's certainly way better than 3 years ago.

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Thats true. The couple good off seasons in a row as left us in a position with better NI depth then weve had in many years. We have more NI starters then even, with depth behind them, and development guys behind them. 

Willy injuries, OL play, and offensive play calling has held us back these seasons under walters. Those will also be the key point to success this season. But we are as prepared for all 3 as we can be.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I love that our first two picks covered both sides of the line. Building from the lines out is a great strategy and I've been waiting for multiple drafts to spend a high(er) draft pick on the DL.

If I wasn't so cynical about losing Chungh after this season, I'd be very optimistic.

I don't think Chungh can crack an NFL team. It's making him fit in the salary cap next season. He'll want a substantial raise & will be coveted by a lot of CFL teams. It's going to cost to keep him.

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I don't think Chungh can crack an NFL team. It's making him fit in the salary cap next season. He'll want a substantial raise & will be coveted by a lot of CFL teams. It's going to cost to keep him.

Based on his play last year, no. He has progressed very quickly however. He could have a dominant year and be looking at the nfl, but i dont expect that. I do expect we will be fighting off other CFL teams to keep him though, unless we sign him mid season.

I think he's from the Lower Mainland so you know the Lions will go hard after him next season. Or the Stamps since he went to the U of C. Those probably will be the teams that may chase him although just about every CFL team would want Chungh.

Edited by iso_55

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I think he's from the Lower Mainland so you know the Lions will go hard after him next season. Or the Stamps since he went to the U of C. Those probably will be the teams that may chase him although just about every CFL team would want Chungh.

yeah i imagine its gonna be every team. Id really like us to throw money at him part way through the season. developing another NI OL to watch em walk to another team would kill me.

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

He may not make an NFL team but that doesn't mean he won't spend a year or two hopping around between teams trying to catch on.

7 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Walters knows that you go above and beyond to secure guys on the oline. He will resign with a significant signing bonus paid from the extra money left over this year

That seems awfully optimistic.  Why wouldn't he try the NFL?  If he makes it there, the money is huge.  If he gets cut, the CFL will be waiting with a huge paycheque anyways.  It's win-win.