Schedule Out

Jpan85

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Wow, leave it to the CFL to screw up their schedule.  Unbelievable. How can such a big mistake like that happen?

It's the CFL. The same way many other bush league blunders happen under its umbrella with far too much occurrence for a professional sports league. In the eyes of its cynics, not its die hards, this is a prime example why it has the reputation that it does among many others.

I remember playoffs/Grey Cup on Saturday and I liked it.  If the fog bowl had been on a Sunday what would have happened?  Finish it on Monday?  After everyone has already gone home? They also used to play the east playoffs Saturday and the west on Sunday.  I liked that better than two on one day.  I'll watch them no matter when they play them but a Saturday afternoon game in late Nov was a good way to spend the day.

18 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I really don't get the pessimism about the first 6 games.    Does it really matter when we lose to those teams seeing as some assume we will lose those games?

the only teams i see being weak are the riders (blown up) and montreal. Maybe TO and BC depending on how Ray and Lulay/Jennings start off the year. 

I think we have made major improvements to our team at some of our weakest links.. Lapo is an upgrade over MB not matter if you like him or not.  This time around Lapo has A good Qb vs brink, elliot, pierce.  We have an all star RB (assuming he doesn't get hurt) and Upgraded from Moore (always hurts) with Dressler and Smith.  We have some potentially better linemen as well.  

Its yet to be seen if Edmonton will be any good without Jones and co, BC is a question mark at QB,  Sask is in rebuild mode and Calgary has a new Head coach but i don't expect them to drop off.  

If Ray struggles in TO, then Harris is not there  to carry the team. Hamilton should continue to excel with Collaros back in the saddle.  Montreal hasn't really improved at QB at all but i do expect Ottawa to continue where they left off last year with Harris to take over if Burris struggles.  So that's what three teams in the league that should continue winning this season ? (Cal,Ott,Ham)

So.. Really I think all those teams are beatable, but we will need to see what we got when the bullets start flying with all the new pieces the bombers have added... We may loose more games then last year but i think that will take a few strings of bad luck and injuries. since we would have been 9-9 if we had medlock last year converting as he did last year.

I am also very excited about Harris as a receiver out of  the back field, as the threat has to spread the pass rush and open the middle for quick pass type plays. I seem to remember seeing Harris pass block fairly well but that might be selective memory now that he is putting on the blue.

I have been thinking the same things you mention but also know I am wildly optimistic between every season. As a self diagnosed fan, I never know where the reality line is drawn. I really thought last year would be better than it turned out. The year before I wasn't so bubbly.

16 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I'm with Noeller on this one. The NFL will always be in the background for me. If I didn't t have a PVR..and had to make a choice, it'd be the CFL every time. The game, in the CFL, is simply better. I'll watch the NFL, but only under certain conditions, and it better be a good game or I'll lose interest...fast.

I have become a big NFL fan over the last few years, but CFL is still better for me, personally. I would watch the Riders any day over the Broncos.

43 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I watch the NFL after the CFL season is over. Better players do some phenomenal things, but I'd still rather watch the CFL game. I know lots of folks who'd rather watch the NFL than the CFL so I totally get why the CFL doesn't want to be in direct competition with them.

That about sums it up for me.  They can afford the better athletes but our game is better.

10 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

It's the CFL. The same way many other bush league blunders happen under its umbrella with far too much occurrence for a professional sports league. In the eyes of its cynics, not its die hards, this is a prime example why it has the reputation that it does among many others.

I agree 100%. I went on a couple of other CFL sites like this & there was a number of fans that liked Saturday & thought it was a progressive step. Then it was changed back to Sunday & I just felt that the league missed its chance at really finding out what the numbers would have been without NFL competition those 2 Saturdays.  But these type of goofs seem to happen all too frequently with the CFL. Releasing a schedule on its website. How difficult is that? We'll never see a mistake like that with the NHL or NFL.

Edited by iso_55

Just now, iso_55 said:

I agree 100%. I went on a couple of other CFL sites like this & there was a number of fans that liked Saturday & thought it was a progressive step. Then it was changed back to Sunday & I just felt that the league missed its chance at really finding out what the numbers would have been without NFL competition those 3 Saturdays.  But these type of goofs seem to happen all too frequently with the CFL. Releasing a schedule on its website. How difficult is that? We'll never see a mistake like that with the NHL or NFL.

QFT

6 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

I remember playoffs/Grey Cup on Saturday and I liked it.  If the fog bowl had been on a Sunday what would have happened?  Finish it on Monday?  After everyone has already gone home? They also used to play the east playoffs Saturday and the west on Sunday.  I liked that better than two on one day.  I'll watch them no matter when they play them but a Saturday afternoon game in late Nov was a good way to spend the day.

I remember Saturday as well. Nothing wrong with it. The bright side to a Saturday game is people can party Saturday night after the game rather than go back to their hotel getting ready to fly home Sunday. Might also be easier with employers to get days off all on 1 week than spreading it out over 2.

2 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I agree 100%. I went on a couple of other CFL sites like this & there was a number of fans that liked Saturday & thought it was a progressive step. Then it was changed back to Sunday & I just felt that the league missed its chance at really finding out what the numbers would have been without NFL competition those 2 Saturdays.  But these type of goofs seem to happen all too frequently with the CFL. Releasing a schedule on its website. How difficult is that? We'll never see a mistake like that with the NHL or NFL.

Any professional organization should have a QA process that reviews changes like this on their website before they are released to the public.  

Unless of course the schedule the web people were given was flawed to begin with, then your QA process is kind of meaningless.

Someone gave the okay without the proper information. I know the NFL has already released what teams are playing home & away but no dates. The NFL schedule announcement is a huge deal. They announce the date it is coming out & at what time. You can bet that the final draft is gone over with a fine tooth comb to prevent any embarrassing mistakes that will make the NFL look bad. Is it too much to ask the CFL to be as diligent? How hard would that be? To absolutely make sure everything is correct. What happened yesterday is a black eye on our phantom commissioner. To me, the mistake is on him. He has to take responsibility. But he's a ghost. Maybe Zak Bagans can investigate the CFL Head Office to see if he is haunting the hallways.

I really don't see any issues with this schedule at all. I have a cabin but don't go out there every week-end. I don't have season tix anymore either, just priorities change when you have a kid lol. I guess the only complaint i'd have would be about the Wednesday game. That's odd for sure. Very odd. and I don't mean the pre-season one either. Just that ones strange to me. 

yes the NFL schedule release is a huge deal... they have an hour long (maybe 2 hours) special on NFL Network and there's far too much analysis of the schedule... if you're curious for some insight to the ins and outs of the process here's a good read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/24/making-of-2014-nfl-schedule

18 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

I'm in the minority it looks like but I'm not a fan of the weekday games. The sweet spot I think is Friday night. 

Away games during the weekdays doesn't bother me but home games on any day other than Friday and Sunday are a royal pain in the butt for me. This year's home schedule sucks a large amount of ass for me but I will have to deal with it.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Word on the street is that weekday games are favourable to corporate partners.  See where the league is going with this?

This makes me curious about the correlation with the ratings slide and attendance slide that was widely reported league wide in 2015. Some have speculated it was because of so many injures especially with quarterbacks affecting the overall quality of play. That being said I wonder how much of an impact weekday games have had on attendance and TV ratings. I get you need to keep the sponsors happy, but you also need to keep your respective fanbases in each city happy as well, and I'm not sure weekday games are the way to go about that. Personally when I lived in Winnipeg I absolutely hated home games that weren't on a Friday or Saturday.

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

yes the NFL schedule release is a huge deal... they have an hour long (maybe 2 hours) special on NFL Network and there's far too much analysis of the schedule... if you're curious for some insight to the ins and outs of the process here's a good read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/24/making-of-2014-nfl-schedule

I'm not asking for hours of analysis although a TSN half hour show would be nice. I'm just asking that the CFL get it right the first time.

5 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

This makes me curious about the correlation with the ratings slide and attendance slide that was widely reported league wide in 2015. Some have speculated it was because of so many injures especially with quarterbacks affecting the overall quality of play. That being said I wonder how much of an impact weekday games have had on attendance and TV ratings. I get you need to keep the sponsors happy, but you also need to keep your respective fanbases in each city happy as well, and I'm not sure weekday games are the way to go about that. Personally when I lived in Winnipeg I absolutely hated home games that weren't on a Friday or Saturday.

Probably a lot of truth to this. Weekday games ensure more people are in the city (the Bombers and CFL love to bring up the cottage-goers leaving for early weekends) but you're also sticking games on days when people are often just more busy and work early the next morning.

I'm not thrilled with the direction the league is headed with these weekday games, but don't consider it that big of an issue yet. Will be curious to see ratings this year. I attributed it a lot to the terrible product the league put out last season but this may very well factor in as well.