Schedule Out

Jpan85

20 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

How would you feel about the Grey Cup being played Saturday instead of Sunday for the first time since circa 1969.

Personally, I'd love it. I decided to watch Sunday Night Football this year instead just based on the fact Tom Brady was playing on the road in Denver and the circumstances around that. For me I'd rather watch Tom Brady (or any elite NFL quarterback or team) play football over anybody in the CFL based on what he's capable of on the football field (the exception being the Bombers of course if they were in the game). I still PVR'ed the game, and would occasionally flip to it during commercials, but I watched next to nothing of it live, and haven't watched a Grey Cup live from start to finish since 2011.

That being said I know the CFL doesn't cater to fans like me, and that's fine. My interest takes a significant dive come September unless the Bombers are doing well, and that's largely because of the talent gap between the leagues, and other minor things like broadcast quality, and officiating quality (not implying the NFL is perfect in either regard, but they certainly are much better)

However from a CFL perspective, the NFL numbers don't lie. They do unreal numbers on TSN, and that doesn't include people like me statistically as I'll watch Sunday Night Football on NBC as oppose to TSN's feed which has the Canadian commercials. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this either.

Moving the playoffs to Saturday is definitely a great move, and a surprising one on their part in my opinion given the above. I know I'll likely be watching because of it.

7:30 starts are more of a challenge for me because I bring my 6 year old son. That's pretty late. He may have to carry me home.

EDIT: But I guess that's the way it's been. Just seems like more 7:30 starts this year. 

Edited by JCon

Personally hate the idea of kow-towing to the NFL, because I can't stand American football. We're a separate entity, we're older and have our own history. **** the NFL. I don't consider it competing with them, because I don't really acknowledge that they exist in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Personally hate the idea of kow-towing to the NFL, because I can't stand American football. We're a separate entity, we're older and have our own history. **** the NFL. I don't consider it competing with them, because I don't really acknowledge that they exist in the first place.

You're in the vast minority, Noeller. The majority of Canadian football fans watch the NFL now so why fight it? I started following the CFL 51 years ago & am one of the biuggest CFL fans around but even I know that the CFL can't go head to head against the NFL. Then why do it?

The biggest drawback to CFL coverage are the in stadium announcers on TSN. So tired of Rod Black & being thrown in our face that it's getting to the point that come last September I was starting to tune out the CFL if an NFL game was on. It's nice to turn on an NFL game & not actually be upset or annoyed at the poor quality of pbp & analysis we put up with up here on TSN. With guys like Black on the mic I just see myself watching fewer & fewer games once the NFL season starts. I see Saturday Grey Cups coming back probably next year if the ratings numbers are good for the Saturday playoff games this season. This, to me is a trial run.

27 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

You're in the vast minority, Noeller. The majority of Canadian football fans watch the NFL now so why fight it? I started following the CFL 51 years ago & am one of the biuggest CFL fans around but even I know that the CFL can't go head to head against the NFL. Then why do it?

The biggest drawback to CFL coverage are the in stadium announcers on TSN. So tired of Rod Black & being thrown in our face that it's getting to the point that come last September I was starting to tune out the CFL if an NFL game was on. It's nice to turn on an NFL game & not actually be upset or annoyed at the poor quality of pbp & analysis we put up with up here on TSN. With guys like Black on the mic I just see myself watching fewer & fewer games once the NFL season starts. I see Saturday Grey Cups coming back probably next year if the ratings numbers are good for the Saturday playoff games this season. This, to me is a trial run.

As mentioned, CFL tweeted out that Saturday playoff games were listed in error. Will be on Sundays as always...

I'm with Noeller on this one. The NFL will always be in the background for me. If I didn't t have a PVR..and had to make a choice, it'd be the CFL every time. The game, in the CFL, is simply better. I'll watch the NFL, but only under certain conditions, and it better be a good game or I'll lose interest...fast.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Personally hate the idea of kow-towing to the NFL, because I can't stand American football.

**** the NFL. I don't consider it competing with them, because I don't really acknowledge that they exist in the first place.

lol.... thanks for the chuckle....:lol: I would rather watch CFL, but I do admit NFL exists. pretty hard to ignore all that bloviation and hyperbole they emit.

Edited by Mark F

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Not a fan of it either.  The new formatting makes it very difficult to highlight to copy and paste the details of the schedule.  The formatting separates everything too much to really compare and look at a global view of it.

It is similar to the new NHL.com.  I think they wanted to format the websites in such a way that it presents well on both mobile and desktop.  Unfortunately, that makes the desktop experience poorer.

This bothers me, because good designers will make the websites look ideal for both. It's really lazy coding. As someone who does responsive design, you have to make them work really well for several key sizes, not a "catch-all" that will technically work with them all but not look ideal in some.

2 hours ago, holoman said:

Yeah, cause Hockey Night in Canada isn't a big deal at all in Canada

I was talking about competition from the NFL. Football fans are split. You have guys like Noeller who hate the NFL - definitely I believe in the minority which I totally understand & then football fans who love the NFL & won't watch a CFL game as they think the league is Mickey Mouse. Then other fans like me who like both but would prefer to watch both separately on weekends. As in CFL Fridays & Saturday followed by the NFL on Sundays. Yes, there's NHL hockey in November, thanks for telling me holoman. Yep the playoff races are really heating up a few days around Remembrance Day unlike the NFL which is starting into the second half of its schedule. After the Super Bowl is when I really start paying attention to the NHL.

Edited by iso_55

What's the diff between doing that & kneeling down? Team is up by two scores with no timeouts & 30 seconds on the clock. game is over. Difference is we have to run a play or two while the NFL just lets the clock run out.  I can tell you if a CFL team is up by 2 scores & they have the ball with 20 seconds left they're not playing anymore either at that point kneeling down other than powder puff standing up no contact football.

Edited by iso_55

40 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I'm in the minority it looks like but I'm not a fan of the weekday games. The sweet spot I think is Friday night. 

Not a fan either. I work til 6-6:30 and it's a pain in the arse getting down there. For me it's easier to just head home and watch it on TV. (Plus I don't care for feeling it the next day at work :P I kid)