IT'S HERE! Grey Cup Game Day Thread

BigBlue

Hamilton with Collaros takes the Grey Cup in a walk.

But it still was very nice to see Reilly win & Burris lose.

Was Hank on tv talking about himself saying no other qb has been on 3 different Grey Cup qualifying teams?? Who says there's no "I" in team? 

And not only does Burris come across and conceited and full of himself, but he's also wrong!! Matt Dunigan took Edmonton, B.C., Toronto, and Winnipeg to the game, and Danny McManus took B.C., Edmonton, and Hamilton (also with Winnipeg as a backup).

Nice to see a great GC game. Two very good teams battled it out for 60 minutes. Lots of big plays on offense and defense. Best game ever played at IGF IMO. Congrats to the Eskimos. They came back from 13 nothing early in the game to eek out a well deserved win. Just a great way to end the season.

I dunno where this -5c at kick-off came from but EC said it was -2 and actually got to -1 as the game went on before ending at -4 at 9pm.

http://weather.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/xwn_metric_e.html

but it felt colder than that with the slight wind that was blowing. All in all a good day at the stadium. I felt the game day experience was superior to the only other grey cup game I've been to (calgary 09) but that might be mostly due to a much much nicer stadium

That game fulfilled the expectation of what the Championship game should be. Both teams showed signs of being capable of winning, with flashes of exciting plays and defences stepping up most of the time. A huge chess match with both teams sacrificing rooks for the benefit of their King. And the King for this day? Mike Reilly.

Reilly, facing a deficit of 13 points, lifted 11 other players on his shoulders, and willed his way through the Ottawa defence, by running, throwing and defying any hits that the RedBlacks were throwing back. And there were quite a few hits.

I disagree that that one QB played poorly in the 2nd half (Burris). I strongly suspect Edmonton did what they had to do to stop the effectiveness of Maas's offensive attack. And Burris couldn't/wouldn't do what Reilly did..run and sacrifice his body. Edmonton does not win this game without Reilly's "all in" attitude.

Both defences played really well and the kicking game was pretty even.

All in all, a very good game to watch.

Lastly, I must mention how good IGF presented itself to any TV viewers. It looked spectacular, both inside and outside views. Lots of great shots of the stadium.

And pishaw to any naysayers dissing the attendance. By all accounts, the Grey Cup in Winnipeg was enormously successful and Winnipegers should be proud.

Well done!

That game fulfilled the expectation of what the Championship game should be. Both teams showed signs of being capable of winning, with flashes of exciting plays and defences stepping up most of the time. A huge chess match with both teams sacrificing rooks for the benefit of their King. And the King for this day? Mike Reilly.

Reilly, facing a deficit of 13 points, lifted 11 other players on his shoulders, and willed his way through the Ottawa defence, by running, throwing and defying any hits that the RedBlacks were throwing back. And there were quite a few hits.

I disagree that that one QB played poorly in the 2nd half (Burris). I strongly suspect Edmonton did what they had to do to stop the effectiveness of Maas's offensive attack. And Burris couldn't/wouldn't do what Reilly did..run and sacrifice his body. Edmonton does not win this game without Reilly's "all in" attitude.

Both defences played really well and the kicking game was pretty even.

All in all, a very good game to watch.

Lastly, I must mention how good IGF presented itself to any TV viewers. It looked spectacular, both inside and outside views. Lots of great shots of the stadium.

And pishaw to any naysayers dissing the attendance. By all accounts, the Grey Cup in Winnipeg was enormously successful and Winnipegers should be proud.

Well done!

after burris took that shot at midfield he definitely turtled. Got hit hard when he didn't see it coming and turned into the ***** we all know he is

The last drive of the game really proved Reilly's and the 'greenyellows'. mettle, Ottawa had to get the ball back and couldn't. Burris pissed away the entire 3rd Q throwing check downs to Powell the RB instead of finding a way to get the ball to any of their big time receivers.

Fyp

thinking about it some things that I noticed

Jones went for touchdown on 3d and goal..... not the safe field goal  route that I think bombers would take.

jones listened to a player (stafford?) about throwing his flag on the interference (non) how many coaches would do that?

linebacker j.c. sherret is 5 foot 9, and weighs all of 200 pounds. his defence.... no 1 in league.

but lot of people here think our mlb at 220, is too small.

thinking about it some things that I noticed

Jones went for touchdown on 3d and goal..... not the safe field goal  route that I think bombers would take.

jones listened to a player (stafford?) about throwing his flag on the interference (non) how many coaches would do that?

linebacker j.c. sherret is 5 foot 9, and weighs all of 200 pounds. his defence.... no 1 in league.

but lot of people here think our mlb at 220, is too small.

The coach listened to the point of taking a time-out to assess if he should throw the flag.

Apparently they said it was the second lowest attendance since 1975.  The lowest being 1978.

http://morningbigblue.com/community/topic/9241-its-here-grey-cup-game-day-thread/page-3

Just informing, not dissing

98(also here) was the lowest since 75.

There were 3 factors for that.

-brutality of the 91 game's weather had fans across that league saying fool me once..

-major price increase

-we sucked as a team....again

Those fans concerned about the weather only fooled themselves as it was record warmth that day.

Apparently they said it was the second lowest attendance since 1975.  The lowest being 1978.

Just informing, not dissing.

This will be the new norm as the new stadiums that are built or are being built are between 24-35k with temps up to 40k. Just EDM. and BC and MTL  if they play in the big O will hold over 50k. I believe there is an effort to reconfigure Rogers Centre to baseball only.

http://morningbigblue.com/community/topic/9241-its-here-grey-cup-game-day-thread/page-3

-brutality of the 91 game's weather had fans across that league saying fool me once..

-major price increase

Those fans concerned about the weather only fooled themselves as it was record warmth that day.

-major price increase

I think another issue is Winnipeg wasn't given a lot of time to organize as the first **** show in Ottawa was to hold it that year.   Don't quote me on that as I remember reading it somewhere (could have been here or ourbombers)

I think another issue is Winnipeg wasn't given a lot of time to organize as the first **** show in Ottawa was to hold it that year.   Don't quote me on that as I remember reading it somewhere (could have been here or ourbombers)

This is more correct than the other explanations from what I remember. There was an empty host spot for the Grey Cup game that year and Winnipeg stepped up at a considerable risk to host that game. Where were all the other cities willing to take that risk? If there was a suitable alternative, somebody should have put it forward, but they didn't.

This is more correct than the other explanations from what I remember. There was an empty host spot for the Grey Cup game that year and Winnipeg stepped up at a considerable risk to host that game. Where were all the other cities willing to take that risk? If there was a suitable alternative, somebody should have put it forward, but they didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86th_Grey_Cup

-major price increase

The '98 Grey Cup was the regarded as the Grey Cup no one wanted.  The league was still somewhat in dire straits, not near the depths of 96, but only a smidgen higher.  Winnipeg stepped up when no one else really desired to have the Grey Cup.  It was also a period when the Grey Cup did not sell out with regularity.  

96 in Hamilton - well short of a sellout despite Tim Hortons stepping up to buy thousands of tickets at the last minute.

97 in Edmonton - I remember there was over 10,000 tickets available leading up to the game which mostly sold out only because the Riders made the finals.

99 in Vancouver - 15,000 short of a sellout

2000 in Calgary - a few thousand short of the sellout.

It also didn't help that the city hosted the Brier, World Junior Championships and the Pan Am Games along with the Grey Cup in just over a year.  Individuals and the corporate community were tapped out.

Apparently they said it was the second lowest attendance since 1975. The lowest being 1978.

-major price increase

98 yes thank you. Got them mixed up.