Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Dressler and Smith feels like the same situation as Burris and Willy in 2014.  We needed a QB desperately enough that we threw coin at whoever was available at the moment, and good on us for doing it.

I'd be over the moon to get either of them, they would both be serious upgrades for our team. Both of them would have led the Bombers last year in receiving, and both had to play with Bomber-level quarterbacking for long stretches of last season.

As Jim Barker says, you can overpay and roll the dice on FA ( case in point Moore) or you can go out and actually find players. The players may have thought they hit the mother load when the option year was abolished but the challenge now is they are all flooding the market and competeing against each other for the money.

what's the over/under he makes it to LDC? I understand a players passion and desire not to give up the game, but when you get taken out in game 1 without being touched and cant come back for the year, I might not be a doctor, but common sense says whoa fella, 2 years, 2 season ending injuries, and one caused by a hop... maybe i should rethink things

Kirk penton is saying it was renegotiated to 450K/1 year *whistles* 

sounds like nothing but a PR move cuz they done gone riled up the hillbillies recently. I would have zero faith in DD's health, and whether or not after like a year and a half of not playing  at age 33, he comes back the player he was.  My guess is they were handcuffed, couldnt trade him with no interest across the board, and cant cut him cuz he was injured

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

probably gave him an incentive laden contract, and given how Jones has shown a willingness to cut players popularity be damned I'm thinking Durant didn't have a leg to stand on in the negotiations 

His one weakness. Achilles Heel even.

And ditto on the restructuring. Total amount is probably very close to the same, but we all know Tamen loved to have up front money in his contracts. Word on the street was close to 50% of that $450 on the old contract could have been paid out before week 1, meaning if/when DD goes on IR again, the riders get very little cap relief. With the new deal, any time spent on the long term IR for DD means the stubble jumpers will have money to pay his replacement. 

On 1/19/2016 at 0:00 AM, johnzo said:

Dressler and Smith feels like the same situation as Burris and Willy in 2014.  We needed a QB desperately enough that we threw coin at whoever was available at the moment, and good on us for doing it.

I'd be over the moon to get either of them, they would both be serious upgrades for our team. Both of them would have led the Bombers last year in receiving, and both had to play with Bomber-level quarterbacking for long stretches of last season.

It's same in the sense that the Bombers brass preferred Burris to Willy and now Dressler to Smith but I won't beat that dead horse.

1 hour ago, Chaosmonkey said:

His one weakness. Achilles Heel even.

And ditto on the restructuring. Total amount is probably very close to the same, but we all know Tamen loved to have up front money in his contracts. Word on the street was close to 50% of that $450 on the old contract could have been paid out before week 1, meaning if/when DD goes on IR again, the riders get very little cap relief. With the new deal, any time spent on the long term IR for DD means the stubble jumpers will have money to pay his replacement. 

I believe the Riders already had to pay Durant a $150,000 bonus for this season, there was no way to avoid it as he was injured and can't be cut.