Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

50 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Smith is almost just as good as Dressler is right now, will be cheaper to sign and has the ability to be better than Dressler ever was.

What if he Maurice Prices it up?   

It's not like Dressler is playing on his last legs and is way over the hill.

I'd way prefer the Bombers take a known and then go sign a bunch of young hopefuls then to dump all our eggs in a guy who "may" have been a flash in a pan and who "may" not live up to expectations all while Dressler goes out and has yet another 1000 yard season.

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What if he Maurice Prices it up?   

It's not like Dressler is playing on his last legs and is way over the hill.

I'd way prefer the Bombers take a known and then go sign a bunch of young hopefuls then to dump all our eggs in a guy who "may" have been a flash in a pan and who "may" not live up to expectations all while Dressler goes out and has yet another 1000 yard season.

Maurice Price is an injury riddled clown with a bad attitude and hands. I'm hardly worried about Ryan Smith being anything like him. Smith's career trajectory is going upwards while Dressler's is stagnant at best and most likely going downwards in a year or two.

Oh, there's also the fact that Ryan Smith had more yards than Dressler this year playing on the exact same thing. I don't have any reason to believe that Smith isn't the real deal, and quite frankly although he's still a good player Dressler hasn't looked like quite the same player since he's come back from the NFL.

Just saw on the twitter feed, then looked at it on the leader post, former bomber coach Mike Gibson leaving the regina Rams as HC to join the Eskimos as the Oline Coach and running game coordinator.  All this after being let go by the redblacks after their less then spectacular first season.

seems like a pretty odd move. Do CIS HC's make peanuts or does regina just suck to be around/in

Too many years of hyping potential for this team.  Signing any or any combo Dressler/Carter/Laurent/Harris is a big plus.  Ideally a team is a mix of proven stars/vets with some room to find the standout rookies.  We've been through several regimes that have leaned too far one way or the other.  Glad that Walters is pursuing some proven free agents.  Also still hoping the scouting department hits some sort of stride and finds a few gems for TC.

42 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Just saw on the twitter feed, then looked at it on the leader post, former bomber coach Mike Gibson leaving the regina Rams as HC to join the Eskimos as the Oline Coach and running game coordinator.  All this after being let go by the redblacks after their less then spectacular first season.

seems like a pretty odd move. Do CIS HC's make peanuts or does regina just suck to be around/in

My understanding is that 4 CIS coaches make good coin:  Blake Nill, Glenn Constantine, Greg Marshall, and Danny Maciocia.   These 4 make about what a top OC would make in the CFL.   After that, the CIS head coaches make about the same as a position coach makes in the CFL. 

In addition to this, there only real step up available to a CIS coach is to become athletic director.   Better money and more potential if they jump to professional football.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Maurice Price is an injury riddled clown with a bad attitude and hands. I'm hardly worried about Ryan Smith being anything like him. Smith's career trajectory is going upwards while Dressler's is stagnant at best and most likely going downwards in a year or two.

Oh, there's also the fact that Ryan Smith had more yards than Dressler this year playing on the exact same thing. I don't have any reason to believe that Smith isn't the real deal, and quite frankly although he's still a good player Dressler hasn't looked like quite the same player since he's come back from the NFL.

Well it's not hard for your trajectory to go up when in season one you catch only 13 passes.

Did you know that Darvin Adams had more receptions then Ryan Smith ?  Did you also know that Dressler had more receptions then Ryan Smith playing on the exact same thing? 

Also did you know that Dressler has five 1000 yard seasons while Smith has had none...

When you cherry pick stats it doesn't tell the full story now does it.

Smith is a promising young player....  but does the Blue really need to sign big contracts on "promising guys"?  

This team needs stability in the worst way! 

Dressler will be 31 in June, Smith is 24 and will come cheaper, he has many years of football left to prove himself, Dressler has may be two.  Seriously if Walters goes after either of these guys he's already dealing in the land of desperation.  I'm quite certain nowhere in his strategic game plan will you find a note that say "acquire 5'6" 165 lb receiver".

1 hour ago, Jaxon said:

My understanding is that 4 CIS coaches make good coin:  Blake Nill, Glenn Constantine, Greg Marshall, and Danny Maciocia.   These 4 make about what a top OC would make in the CFL.   After that, the CIS head coaches make about the same as a position coach makes in the CFL. 

In addition to this, there only real step up available to a CIS coach is to become athletic director.   Better money and more potential if they jump to professional football.

Coaches like Gibson & Chapdelaine make all kinds of promises of long term committments to their recruits & team then as soon as there's a position available to go back to the CFL they walk. Chapdelaine left the SFU program in shambles. Signed a 3 year deal & left after just one. No recruiting season last winter as he left in December & a new head coach wasn't hired until March. Looks like Gibson did the same thing. 

Edited by iso_55

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Dressler will be 31 in June, Smith is 24 and will come cheaper, he has many years of football left to prove himself, Dressler has may be two.  Seriously if Walters goes after either of these guys he's already dealing in the land of desperation.  I'm quite certain nowhere in his strategic game plan will you find a note that say "acquire 5'6" 165 lb receiver".

Age doesn't matter in the CFL with non guaranteed contracts that are generally only 1-3 years in length. What good is it to sign young players when they can just leave in a year anyways?  Give me the better, more established player over the young one with potential any day.

10 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Dressler will be 31 in June, Smith is 24 and will come cheaper, he has many years of football left to prove himself, Dressler has may be two.  Seriously if Walters goes after either of these guys he's already dealing in the land of desperation.  I'm quite certain nowhere in his strategic game plan will you find a note that say "acquire 5'6" 165 lb receiver who was ROY, 5x 1000 yard receiver and got a look by the NFL despite his size ".

fyp

55 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

I would not I don't think he's the type of receiver that Jones likes.

As it should be, I bet Jones and Murphy spent less than 10 seconds making that decision.  Finding a good Intl. receiver with size shouldn't be as hard as finding the Arc of the Covenant.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎16 at 11:21 PM, Ripper said:

Ok so were the numbers announced at that time. I could care less if you guys want to have a laugh on us, you've been doing it all year, but get your facts straight at least. No one knew including you guys that dressler was making 240k/yr or Chick 260/yr

Hold up. Maybe you were unaware but certainly a lot of Rider fans at the time were aware of Dressler's salary. In the Weston Dressler signs thread recently dug up on Riderfans, in the first couple of pages there is links to media reports that Dressler signed a 4 year/$1 million deal. This is followed by about 500 posts of people congratulating Taman for getting the deal done and calling Dressler a bargain at ANY price. These same posters are now "shocked" and "outraged" by his salary. C'mon man....it was right there in black and white from the beginning. I know Rider fans math is poor, but 4 years at a million means he was going to make 250k per. That's why we're laughing at you, because even though the numbers were reported at the time, in typical Rider fashion those numbers got "softened" over time so that the Riders didn't look as incompetent as they are.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The reality is that a healthy Drew Willy will make almost any receiver look good, I would rather the Bombers put most of their F.A. spending into positions that will keep Willy healthy and positions that will endanger the health of opposing QB's.

Receivers that can get open will help keep him healthy.

I'd be interesting to see the reaction if Jones lets smith walk. I know from reading the riderfans site there is a lot of people easing their minds with an "in Jones we trust mentality", but really, to walk into an organization like that with it's fan base, get rid of fan favs immediately your almost setting yourself up for a lynching if you dont produce immediately.  

If anything I think most people could forgive a poor 2016 given the state of the 2015 riders, and it takes time to rebuild, but these moves imo just riled up a mob and put instant eggshells in front of jones and company.  this could be shaping up to be some fun times in riderville 

Jones has a huge ego. It'll get knocked down a few pegs in Regina. One thing we do know that other than the Argos wherever he went he made enemies.  I've never heard any bad stories about John Hufnagel. He may be a tough boss at times but he's likeable & fair. The way Jones screwed him around, well that's saying something.. 

Edited by iso_55