Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

18 hours ago, iso_55 said:

That decision I do not get. Tate can start in this league & has gone from this maniac on the field who would tear off anyones head in the huddle wanting to win so  badly to this meek holder on field goals as well a BLM's backup who never plays. It akes no sense to me. I thought he'd have left last year. it's like all the fight has gone out of him. 

I don't get it either.  You have QB's like Reilly and Willy who are back-ups and are dying to jump ship to get a starter gig, and then you have Tate, who is comfortable just living in BLM's shadow.  Makes no sense.  The only thing I can think of is that Hufnagel took Tate down to Tijuana in last year's off-season and got some incriminating photos taken.

19 hours ago, iso_55 said:

That decision I do not get. Tate can start in this league & has gone from this maniac on the field who would tear off anyones head in the huddle wanting to win so  badly to this meek holder on field goals as well a BLM's backup who never plays. It akes no sense to me. I thought he'd have left last year. it's like all the fight has gone out of him. 

I suspect he's one good hit away from being done.

Tate knows he is in an incredibly comfortable position and he seems to be okay with that.  He gets paid six figures to stand on the sidelines and get his name printed on the Grey Cup every few years.  It's remarkable that a guy with his laissez faire attitude could get to the level he's at but all the power in the world to him for knowing exactly what makes him happy and putting himself in a position to enjoy it for as long as possible.

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

So, you're saying we should assign some of our board members to evaluate him?

Being a seasoned veteran of fool's errands, I normally would be cool with being nominated but Tate is a loon and kind of scares me.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I think Tate's temper & bizarre disposition took him out of ever being a starting qb in Calgary again. Once BLM showed he could win games Tate was history as a starter. Coaches have plenty of things to do to prepare their players for games. They don't need any divas screwing things up. Tate acted like a diva.

Story I read was that Dave Dickenson had to take him aside for about 15 minutes before every game Tate started to  bring him back down to a level where he could actually play he was so sky high emotionally. I think Dave had better things to do before a game than act as a personal psychologist for the man. I think no questions the run of injuries got to him & he felt that everytime he went on the field everything had to go right or he'd fall further behind Bo Levi Mitchell. I don't think he cares anymore. It isn't his team anymore. 

As far as Tate went if something unexpected or bad happened on the field it was never his fault. He assigned blame even if it meant publicly embarrassing his teammates by screaming at them in their face on the playing field. I remember him lashing out at Jon Cornish on a miffed handoff & to an offensive lineman for him being sacked. To make things worse, he would refuse to talk to his coaches or teammates on the bench. He'd go seeth off by himself after every series, good or bad. The guy was unapproachable. The guy had all the intangibles to be a champipon but his emotion unchecked was just channelled in the wrong direction.

Edited by iso_55

He was going on a duck hunting trip in Saskatchewan & the private plane he was in ran into engine trouble. Slammed into  the runway hard on approach in Regina. He said he was thankful to be alive. Said it happened so  fast he didn't have time to think about life or death.

Edited by iso_55

Man. And people complain when it's minus 10 or 15 here in November. 60000 people in Minnesota Watching that game in minus 40 almost. -6 farenheit is minus 21 Celsius. Windchill makes it -35. 

It's as cold there as it is here today and 60000 people filled that stadium. 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Man. And people complain when it's minus 10 or 15 here in November. 60000 people in Minnesota Watching that game in minus 40 almost. -6 farenheit is minus 21 Celsius. Windchill makes it -35. 

It's as cold there as it is here today and 60000 people filled that stadium. 

We  wouldn't 20,000 for a Bomber playoff game in temps like that.

-24 with the windchill in Minny today.  Effin Walsh misses a chip shot field goal to win it and Adrian Peterson is useless in the playoffs as usual.

Interestingly, there were several hundred tickets unsold for that game today.  Good crowd of 52,000 but even NFL fans have their limits when it comes how much cold they are willing to tolerate.  Same thing happened in Green Bay a few years ago.

At Canad Inns it was minus 20 with the windchill for the 2011 Eastern Final and the game was sold out with 29,500 in attendance.  The Bombers can draw in cold weather.

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

-24 with the windchill in Minny today.  Effin Walsh misses a chip shot field goal to win it and Adrian Peterson is useless in the playoffs as usual.

Interestingly, there were several hundred tickets unsold for that game today.  Good crowd of 52,000 but even NFL fans have their limits when it comes how much cold they are willing to tolerate.  Same thing happened in Green Bay a few years ago.

At Canad Inns it was minus 20 with the windchill for the 2011 Eastern Final and the game was sold out with 29,500 in attendance.  The Bombers can draw in cold weather.

Un-be-lieve-able.

On 05/01/2016 at 6:28 PM, B-F-F-C said:

He's a nice guy but I wouldn't say that he's a good coach.  While he was the receivers coach.  Did we ever have what I would call an elite receiving corps?  Did he have success in developing young receivers?   

There's nothing there to prove he was a good coach.    

With some of the comments being made about Howell I thought I would post this response Mike made to my question:

On 10/11/2015 at 4:16 PM, Jacquie said:

Mike, I noticed in the MBB twitter feed that you posted you hoped Markus Howell would be back next season. In the past, you didn't think too highly of Howell as a receivers coach. What made you change your mind?

The players love him. And people who know better than I told me I was dumb.