Now that our season is toast ...

JimmyFartball

That 2004 Stamps team was brutal... As bad as the Bombers are now. If you give Walters our GM now all kinds of chances to prove himself then you should give Higgins the benefit of the doubt as well during the time he was with the Stamps. He had very little to build with when he started.

Lets take a look at Higgins' career and record as a head coach:

Higgins joined the Stampeders coaching staff, serving in many different capacities until becoming a head coach in 2001.

Higgins became head coach of the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos later that year, leading the team to the playoffs in each of his four seasons. In 2002 and 2003, he won division titles, and he won a single Grey Cup as a head coach, with the Eskimos in 2003.

In 2005 he returned to the Calgary Stampeders as head coach. He held this position for three years, making the playoffs in each, but with the team's record also declining each season. He was fired after a first round loss during the 2007 playoffs.

And he was a very good coach in the CIS as well. Would folks here rather have this record or the Lapolice/Burke/O'Shea results? This record would have had fans here positively giddy.

I dont think tillman is the right hire when youve already pissed off a good chunk of ur fan base, would be a pr nightmare. But winning cures everything I guess

If someone came in and went undefeated for 5 years with 5 championships, you'd let it slide if the dude slapped you and said he had his way with your wife,and has been stealing your cable for years

Well, we came up with the usual bunch of excuses, why firing an assistant was impossible once the season had started. (even though other teams seem willing to do it)  And paid the price.  Our O was the number reason for many of the losses, this year.....

True, as far as that goes, but if you look at the past two seasons, the offense, defence, special teams and O-line have had problems and some of them continue to this day. It wasn't just one thing, and that points to more issues than one or two individuals. And then there's the talent level....

Well, we came up with the usual bunch of excuses, why firing an assistant was impossible once the season had started. (even though other teams seem willing to do it)  And paid the price.  Our O was the number reason for many of the losses, this year.....

True, as far as that goes, but if you look at the past two seasons, the offense, defence, special teams and O-line have had problems and some of them continue to this day. It wasn't just one thing, and that points to more issues than one or two individuals. And then there's the talent level....

Talent needs an overhaul for sure but only playing 30 minutes of football most games gets hung on the coaches, the DC was just as guilty as the OC most nights too.

That 2004 Stamps team was brutal... As bad as the Bombers are now. If you give Walters our GM now all kinds of chances to prove himself then you should give Higgins the benefit of the doubt as well during the time he was with the Stamps. He had very little to build with when he started.

Higgins joined the Stampeders coaching staff, serving in many different capacities until becoming a head coach in 2001.

Higgins became head coach of the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos later that year, leading the team to the playoffs in each of his four seasons. In 2002 and 2003, he won division titles, and he won a single Grey Cup as a head coach, with the Eskimos in 2003.

In 2005 he returned to the Calgary Stampeders as head coach. He held this position for three years, making the playoffs in each, but with the team's record also declining each season. He was fired after a first round loss during the 2007 playoffs.

And he was a very good coach in the CIS as well. Would folks here rather have this record or the Lapolice/Burke/O'Shea results? This record would have had fans here positively giddy.

Making the playoffs is great but what concerns me the most with Higgins is you tend do not get above a certain point. When he went to Calgary he had a decent team to work with and, as you mention, a declining record and early exits from the playoffs. Based on what I have seen of Higgins does he give me confidence that he would be able to make this team any more than middling. He reminded me a lot of how MB was as HC in Hammy.

I want a coach that can continually improves or maintains team and can even get the best out of a mediocre talent base. Higgins has made some very odd decisions in his time including sitting Bowman when he has really not lost a step.

Talent needs an overhaul for sure but only playing 30 minutes of football most games gets hung on the coaches, the DC was just as guilty as the OC most nights too.

I just figured out Mike O'Shea's genius in this. By only playing 30 minutes a game, think how fresh the players would have been for the playoffs. Now that's thinking outside the box that is right there. 

Making the playoffs is great but what concerns me the most with Higgins is you tend do not get above a certain point. When he went to Calgary he had a decent team to work with and, as you mention, a declining record and early exits from the playoffs. Based on what I have seen of Higgins does he give me confidence that he would be able to make this team any more than middling. He reminded me a lot of how MB was as HC in Hammy.

I want a coach that can continually improves or maintains team and can even get the best out of a mediocre talent base. Higgins has made some very odd decisions in his time including sitting Bowman when he has really not lost a step.

Soooo ... you're saying he wouldn't be better than O'Shea and/or Walters?

Coupl of tweaks will go a long way. No extension for anybody unless we see dramatic improvement next year. Make em all earn an extension in their final year. I'm expecting big things if a quality, CFL-experienced OC shakes loose and we pick em up.

I agee with this.My question is, who would be the possble candidates for OC be? Who's available now and who might spring loose?

Coupl of tweaks will go a long way. No extension for anybody unless we see dramatic improvement next year. Make em all earn an extension in their final year. I'm expecting big things if a quality, CFL-experienced OC shakes loose and we pick em up.

I agee with this.My question is, who would be the possble candidates for OC be? Who's available now and who might spring loose?

I was thinking Danny Barrett, but then I just read last week he was named Interim head coach of UCF, so maybe not. He does have history with Drew Willy when they were both at UB.

I don't believe he would be able to put the Bombers over the top.

That guy might be hard to find. I'm thinking we might have to wait for that guy so maybe Higgins would be good in the interim. Just throwing the idea around <shrug>.

I don't believe he would be able to put the Bombers over the top.

That guy might be hard to find. I'm thinking we might have to wait for that guy so maybe Higgins would be good in the interim. Just throwing the idea around <shrug>.

Higgins was a DC. Never an OC. He was a linebacker during his CFL playing days. 

I'd settle for mediocre at this point because we're so far from it right now.  

it's sad that so many of us feel the same way...

Wade has always and will always be in love with Khari, it isn't even a question of an 'exhaustive search' if he wants the job.

I fear this may be true... but hoping we're wrong...