Bombers trade for rights of Tajh Boyd

Jpan85

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming 11m11 minutes ago

Tajh Boyd. Confident young man. Declaring in all seriousness, he believes he is one of the strongest deep-ball throwers in the world.

Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming 10m10 minutes ago

Boyd was overwhelmed initially when watching CFL film, but once he hit the field it was all football again. Wants reps and to learn the game

Just to be clear, we don't actually lose a draft pick in any case.  It is a swap of draft picks.  So say the Bombers have a higher pick in the 4th round than the Ticats in 2017, the Ticats can choose to swap picks with the Bombers.  The round will be determined by the condition.

Sweet. Even better! Wonder why Austin was so eager to move him.. Didnt like hamilton or felt it was a dead end?

Eager to move him?

Not really. Tajh was eager to play in the CFL and being on Hamilton's negotiation list, they have to offer him a contract. Seen as how they have Collaros, Masoli and Mathews ... not really much room for him, so instead of losing him for nothing, they knew he was highly regarded enough that they could get something for him.

Everytime I have seen Massoli play he didn't look good at all.

I agree, but Jeff Matthews looks good and Austin is high on his former college QB.

Just to be clear, we don't actually lose a draft pick in any case.  It is a swap of draft picks.  So say the Bombers have a higher pick in the 4th round than the Ticats in 2017, the Ticats can choose to swap picks with the Bombers.  The round will be determined by the condition.

Sweet. Even better! Wonder why Austin was so eager to move him.. Didnt like hamilton or felt it was a dead end?

Eager to move him?

Not really. Tajh was eager to play in the CFL and being on Hamilton's negotiation list, they have to offer him a contract. Seen as how they have Collaros, Masoli and Mathews ... not really much room for him, so instead of losing him for nothing, they knew he was highly regarded enough that they could get something for him.

Since I have SEEN this a couple times now, I'm obligated to point out "Seeing As How".....

Thanks for helping me, seen as how I would of never noticed myself. :)

Boyd has had his chance at grabbing the brass ring in the NFL. The only way he gets another shot is for him to shine up here and some team in the NFL with a selective memory to be desperate enough to wait out his contract. He ought to appreciate not having to be afraid of being arrested for "walking/driving while black" in Canada.

Boyd has had his chance at grabbing the brass ring in the NFL. The only way he gets another shot is for him to shine up here and some team in the NFL with a selective memory to be desperate enough to wait out his contract. He ought to appreciate not having to be afraid of being arrested for "walking/driving while black" in Canada.

In his interview today he said he's here to put up some good film so he can get back to the NFL. He's got the right attitude, but it's clear what his goal is.

Just to be clear, we don't actually lose a draft pick in any case. It is a swap of draft picks. So say the Bombers have a higher pick in the 4th round than the Ticats in 2017, the Ticats can choose to swap picks with the Bombers. The round will be determined by the condition.

Eager to move him?

and mathews is unproven too.. just seemed odd to me that they moved him.. maybe he didnt like the look of trying to get ahead of the incombents and was pushing for a contract..

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is yet another American QB trying to make it up here. Never heard of the guy and until I see him produce consistently up here, it doesn't mean much...

This is exactly what I'm getting at. We've seen tons of highly touted built for the CFL qbs come up here and flame out. Until he proves himself he's just another prospect qb. 

Somewhat agree here. Not that I'm disappointed in the signing - I think it's good. But right now he's on our PR only. If he proves he has any sort of feel for the Canadian game I could see him supplanting Brohm once Willy is back though, with Nichols as the backup and Davis back to the PR (if Boyd impresses more than Davis). Though I see it more as a "Here's how are league works and looks like, try to learn the game and if we like what we see we'll give you a contract to come back next year to compete for a spot in our TC - you'd have a leg up on any other rookie" kind of thing. 

Smart play actually - and it's a conditional pick (7th rounder lol) so I doubt it's anything huge unless he ends up as our starter

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is yet another American QB trying to make it up here. Never heard of the guy and until I see him produce consistently up here, it doesn't mean much...

This is exactly what I'm getting at. We've seen tons of highly touted built for the CFL qbs come up here and flame out. Until he proves himself he's just another prospect qb.

Somewhat agree here. Not that I'm disappointed in the signing - I think it's good. But right now he's on our PR only. If he proves he has any sort of feel for the Canadian game I could see him supplanting Brohm once Willy is back though, with Nichols as the backup and Davis back to the PR (if Boyd impresses more than Davis). Though I see it more as a "Here's how are league works and looks like, try to learn the game and if we like what we see we'll give you a contract to come back next year to compete for a spot in our TC - you'd have a leg up on any other rookie" kind of thing. 

Smart play actually - and it's a conditional pick (7th rounder lol) so I doubt it's anything huge unless he ends up as our starter

Guessing you didnt feel like reading.. Its a swap of picks. If he starts x amount of games we swap that rounds pick. So we dont even lose a pick.

In his interview today he said he's here to put up some good film so he can get back to the NFL. He's got the right attitude, but it's clear what his goal is.

No offense here Gbill - but what do you think all the CFL players want to do? Lets see, I can get my head torn off up here for minimum wage, or I can be a backup in the NFL and make 7 to 10 x the money.

It's just refreshing to hear someone admit it for once. No one, absolutely no one, grows up in the US and dreams of playing in the CFL one day, and I highly doubt many Canadian kids do either (once they read the age of understanding the power of money).

Guessing you didnt feel like reading.. Its a swap of picks. If he starts x amount of games we swap that rounds pick. So we dont even lose a pick.

even better - no not reading all 9 pages. But I did read the last page and saw that. So yes even better :)

No offense here Gbill - but what do you think all the CFL players want to do? Lets see, I can get my head torn off up here for minimum wage, or I can be a backup in the NFL and make 7 to 10 x the money.

It's just refreshing to hear someone admit it for once. No one, absolutely no one, grows up in the US and dreams of playing in the CFL one day, and I highly doubt many Canadian kids do either (once they read the age of understanding the power of money).

When I was a Canadian kid I dreamt of playing for the Bombers. It didn't work out but CFL football is what inspired me to lift weights, train and develop athletically. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

IIRC it's how many games he is on the active roster for next season, not how many starts.

Just to be clear, we don't actually lose a draft pick in any case. It is a swap of draft picks. So say the Bombers have a higher pick in the 4th round than the Ticats in 2017, the Ticats can choose to swap picks with the Bombers. The round will be determined by the condition.

Eager to move him?

and mathews is unproven too.. just seemed odd to me that they moved him.. maybe he didnt like the look of trying to get ahead of the incombents and was pushing for a contract..

Boyd was put on the Ticats' neg list by O'Billovich. Austin wanted to go with his guys so he traded his rights when Boyd started talking about wanting to try the CFL.

When I was a Canadian kid I dreamt of playing for the Bombers. It didn't work out but CFL football is what inspired me to lift weights, train and develop athletically. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

My son plays at SFU & I can tell you unequivocably & without a doubt his dream is to play in the CFL. That has been his dream ever since he started playing  at age 9. He watches every CFL game & very few NFL ones. I coached football  for 15 years & I don't know of any player that said to me that they wanted to go to the NFL. They all wanted to play for the Stampeders as that was the city they were growing up in. They related to the Stamps players & as a treat every once in awhile a Stampeder player would attend one of our practices & talk to my players. So, think again Kpt Krunch. Lots of  kids in this country want to play in the CFL.

My son plays at SFU & I can tell you unequivocably & without a doubt his dream is to play in the CFL. That has been his dream ever since he started playing  at age 9. He watches every CFL game & very few NFL ones. I coached football  for 15 years & I don't know of any player that said to me that they wanted to go to the NFL. They all wanted to play for the Stampeders as that was the city they were growing up in. They related to the Stamps players & as a treat every once in awhile a Stampeder player would attend one of our practices & talk to my players. So, think again Kpt Krunch. Lots of  kids in this country want to play in the CFL.

And then when they get to a level where someone points out that if they're good enough for the CFL, maybe just maybe they're good enough for the NFL, then they want to play in the NFL.

"no thanks, I'm good without taking my opportunity to earn millions of dollars", said no one ever.

Sure that happens but not many make it. If anything, in HS you have players that want to play in the NCAA. If they have NFL aspirations it's somewhere down the road a long way. There are those who have the talent & the work ethic to get there & they do go somewhere on a scholarship. There are others who may have the talent & potential to be  a scholarship NCAA player but when it is explained the kind of work that's needed in the weight room as well as in class to get there they balk at doing what needs to be done. Most players are like a lot of kids they aren't focused enough all through HS so they end up playing junior football which is in itself a great accomplishment & later go on to CIS careers. Others go to junior ball or CIS & find out they're fifth on the depth chart become disenchanted & quit. To get into a CIS program is tough because of the academic requirements of most universities. So, if a very good player doesn't have the marks his only option is junior.  Bottom line trying to tell a grade 10 to buckle down & work hard in school is a challenging  thing to do with a 15 year old. A lot of  times these kids don't figure things out until it's too late.

This really has nothing to do with the discussion other than what it's like to deal with & coach high school players trying to help them decide what is best for them. I had discussions with more than a few players over the years not sure what to do. One thing I was always cognizant of was that I was never a dream stealer. If the third string qb came up to me & said coach I want to play at the U of C, I never told him he couldn't. We discussed what he needed to do get there.

Exactly. It's not even a debate.

Everyone here, as well as the kids they coach, if they have the ability to play football at a professional level is trying the NFL in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

I could make top dollar playing in the CFL for the Bombers, my favourite football team and the team I've loved ever since I can remember... Or go to the Jaguars and make 10x what I would as one of the best in the CFL even as a fringe NFLer.

I'd be in Jacksonville tomorrow.

I remember people going "screw Marve!" because he apparently made it known he'd plan to try the NFL when his contract was up. Well no **** he would! I'll bet Chris Brazzell would have been on the first plane down too if he'd ever gotten a call.

We'd be dancing if Marve was good enough to bolt for the NFL next year. As it stands, unless he is lights out at next year's training camp it'd be a long shot at best for another CFL team to give him a tryout. Maybe try the arena league but there's a good possibility he's looking at life after football.