Bombers trade for rights of Tajh Boyd

Jpan85

How would we pronounce his name if he does come to the CFL?

Taj, like raj from big bang theory?

Same as Taj Smith, former WR with the Riders.

He still is a Rider - he's on their 6 game IR. I wonder what their new regime is going to do with him since he was in Chamblin's dog house.

He still is a Rider - he's on their 6 game IR. I wonder what their new regime is going to do with him since he was in Chamblin's dog house.

I believe Richardson is as well

I believe Richardson was released.

He's on the 6 game as well according to the Riders' website.

Interesting. Pretty sure it was announced he was released.

Interesting. Pretty sure it was announced he was released.

Chamblin said he wasn't with the team anymore but they didn't know what they were going to do with him - release him or 6 game him. They ended up 6 gaming him.

Is he as good as Tee Martin?

Better.  He's Kliff Kingsburyesque.

Id say his bust potential would be brad banks. the typical NFL knocks on a qb with the cfl tool set. Never figured it out though.

As for not having had a developmental qb, id say marve has been that. He hasnt quickly blossomed into what we would hope, but qbs arent often quick to develop in the cfl. If he can stay healthy and is reasonably priced id love to see him boyd, nichols, and willy in TC next year. That level of talent at the qb position is enough to make me drool.

My tongue in cheek comment was a substitution for calling out all the people who continue to ignore the bolded truth in what you said.  Tajh Boyd skyrockets up the depth chart before he's ever seen the playbook.  Cut everyone now!

Nichols is in his 5th year in the CFL and seems serviceable.  Trevor Harris is in his 4th.  Willy became a starter last year in his 5th.  And the fans in Winnipeg still act like CFL QBs are 3 minute oatmeal.

Robert Marve is a football god and it's a conspiracy that he is still on the bench what is that idiot OShea waiting for put him in already oops we ruined another one oh well hey look here's a shiny object so let's not learn any lesson we want Boyd! we want Boyd! we want Boyd! Tajh Boyd is a football god and it's a conspiracy that he is still on the bench what is that idiot OShea waiting for put him in already...

The Bombers signed a promising young QB with no CFL or pro experience today.  I'm hoping that is the last I hear about him for 3 or 4 years until he is ready to be a starter.  That is the best case scenario for the Bombers, and as long as Willy and Nichols don't lose 2 games in a row ever, maybe there's a chance it will happen.

Two things:

• I wish our o-line gave any of our QBs the kind of protection this guy is getting.
  • Where the heck is #6 playing now?? We need to sign that guy!
Sammy Watkins is 6 and he's playing with the bills of the NFL.
Sammy Watkins wore #2 at Clemson.

You're totally right.

#6 is Deandre Hopkins. Also a first round pick in the NFL.

Here's a recent scouting report:

Strengths

Sets quickly. Can sling it when he's in rhythm and has a clean pocket. Good zip short-to-intermediate. Can launch deep throws with ease and flashes touch to drop it in the bucket. Shows composure in the face of a blitz and is willing to take a hit to make a play. Makes plays with his feet, rolling the pocket, extending plays or throwing on the move (left or right). Slippery and elusive to escape the rush and is a threat to tuck and run. Functional straight-line speed and run strength for a quarterback; will lower his shoulder on defenders. Experienced, three-year starter. Terrific football character. Has a likable personality.

Weaknesses

Lacks ideal height, and weight has tended to fluctuate, pushing to nearly 240 the second half of 2011 season. Sails downfield throws and can improve his accuracy. Inconsistent decision-making. Did not take snaps under center in a pistol, read-option offense and production was inflated by an NFL-caliber supporting cast of skill talent. Will require patience adapting to pro-style passing. Needs to quicken his eyes and improve his field vision. Does not always see the deep safety or short-hole defender. Impatient making reads before fleeing the pocket. Durability could be a concern, given his style. Needs to learn to slide.

Bottom Line

A short, stocky, fairly nifty, strong-armed quarterback most ideally suited for a vertical-power system. Projects best as a career backup or No. 3 quarterback in the pros and compares very favorably to Ravens 2007 fifth-rounder Troy Smith.

The guy hasn't played a down... lets not give Walters any credit and make this guy seem like he's the next greatest thing.  

Troy Smith was a huge signing and look how that turned out..

It's not so much the fact that he is Tajh Boyd. It's the fact he is not Josh Portis, or Jason Boltus.

Here's a recent scouting report:

Strengths

Sets quickly. Can sling it when he's in rhythm and has a clean pocket. Good zip short-to-intermediate. Can launch deep throws with ease and flashes touch to drop it in the bucket. Shows composure in the face of a blitz and is willing to take a hit to make a play. Makes plays with his feet, rolling the pocket, extending plays or throwing on the move (left or right). Slippery and elusive to escape the rush and is a threat to tuck and run. Functional straight-line speed and run strength for a quarterback; will lower his shoulder on defenders. Experienced, three-year starter. Terrific football character. Has a likable personality.

Weaknesses

Lacks ideal height, and weight has tended to fluctuate, pushing to nearly 240 the second half of 2011 season. Sails downfield throws and can improve his accuracy. Inconsistent decision-making. Did not take snaps under center in a pistol, read-option offense and production was inflated by an NFL-caliber supporting cast of skill talent. Will require patience adapting to pro-style passing. Needs to quicken his eyes and improve his field vision. Does not always see the deep safety or short-hole defender. Impatient making reads before fleeing the pocket. Durability could be a concern, given his style. Needs to learn to slide.

Bottom Line

A short, stocky, fairly nifty, strong-armed quarterback most ideally suited for a vertical-power system. Projects best as a career backup or No. 3 quarterback in the pros and compares very favorably to Ravens 2007 fifth-rounder Troy Smith.

And there we have it, let's not get our knickers too knotted up over this young man. He's not going to play this year ( unless we have an unreal string of injuries ) and we need to be patient in his development. But......Brohm &/or Marve will not be back next year, especially if we resign Nicholls.