Bombers Trade for Matt Nichols

Jpan85

I'm OK with this move. 7th round in 2017 is very cheap and pretty sure most will forget at 2017 CFL draft why we dont have 7th rnd pick.

I guess the expected changes will be:

IN:

Nicholls,

Simmons,

Walker,

Lemon

Adams

OUT:

Brohm (will be released later this week? ;) )

Littlejohn

T.Thomas

Peach (will be released too)

Gordon

Oooh. My nipples are hard....

That is WAYYYY too much information.

Sorry to overstimulate you with the visuals.

headshakeconan.gif

I'd never in a million years suggest Nichols is better than Willy.  But I think Nichols might be a little better fit for Bellefeuille's offense.  Nichols seems to have a quicker release, is more mobile than Willy and seems to move the pocket more than Willy (although the pocket movelent could be a product of the offense and not Nichols). 

MOS Interview regarding Matt and the QB situation:

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/115609

I got this creepy feeling listening to MOS ... it was his demeanor, his tone, the jadedness and an aura of resignation, inevitability ... signs of a dead man walking?

I don't know ... it was the opposite of engaging, of that I am sure

I think you are over-analyzing things.

I know I am but when analyzing MOS's demeanor is the most interesting thing there is to do, what does that say ... a new QB in town and I can't get excited ... yawn

I think his demeanor has more to do with idiot "questions" from guys like Lawless. If I had to deal with his long-winded lead-ups to a yes/no question everyday I wouldn't be so engaging either.

I know I am but when analyzing MOS's demeanor is the most interesting thing there is to do, what does that say ... a new QB in town and I can't get excited ... yawn
I think his demeanor has more to do with idiot "questions" from guys like Lawless. If I had to deal with his long-winded lead-ups to a yes/no question everyday I wouldn't be so engaging either.
I've watched every MOS presser. That was a pretty standard one.

MOS Interview regarding Matt and the QB situation:http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/115609

I've watched quite a few and it seemed pretty ordinary to me but Lawless' opening "questions"/comments we're beyond horrible.

MOS Interview regarding Matt and the QB situation:http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/115609

I've watched quite a few and it seemed pretty ordinary to me but Lawless' opening "questions"/comments we're beyond horrible.
If its today's presser, pretty sure that's Paul Friesen.

If its today's presser, pretty sure that's Paul Friesen.

That sounds like Lawless going on about with Willy out, too soon for Nicholls and Marve not being back to practice tomorrow if that meant it was between Brohm and Davis to start to me. Certainly his style.

O'shea should just suck it up & answer the questions instead of acting the way he does at times. I didn't think he was as bad as you describe it. 

I think as a coach you just get tired of answering the same damn questions all the time.  Especially when you know they're coming.  I mean, these guys asked him who's staring like 10 times in the interview.  They just went about asking it in different ways.  I was just waiting for him to say "DUDES!  STFU I DON'T KNOW WHO'S STARTING YET!!  AND EVEN IF I DID I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU SO YOU CAN GO BLABBING IT AROUND TO EVERYONE!"

I'd never in a million years suggest Nichols is better than Willy.  But I think Nichols might be a little better fit for Bellefeuille's offense.  Nichols seems to have a quicker release, is more mobile than Willy and seems to move the pocket more than Willy (although the pocket movelent could be a product of the offense and not Nichols). 

ummm no - he isn't more mobile. But don't take my word for it - wait and see when he gets in a game. 

Nichols is the poor man's Willy!

Cameron did an in-depth analysis of what it takes to trade a 7th round pick for a broken QB... amazing stuff.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blog-the-inner-workings-of-a-trade

Here's a quick synopsis:

Walters starts looking for an experience QB after drew goes down.

Walters gets distracted by shiny things in the office and forgets.

After the Calgary disaster he remembers "Oh, yea, the QB trade thingy.  Got to get back to that."

Has shiny things removed from office.

Calls Edmonton

Makes trade.

Attaboy Kyle.

ummm no - he isn't more mobile. But don't take my word for it - wait and see when he gets in a game. 

I think he used to be more mobile. But that was before wheels fell off. He's running on the little spare tire now. 

Nichols is the poor man's Willy!

Cameron did an in-depth analysis of what it takes to trade a 7th round pick for a broken QB... amazing stuff.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blog-the-inner-workings-of-a-trade

I actually agree on that one. In my uneducated observation, Willy and Nicholls are both the same kind of QB, a pocket passer primarily but can make a unexpected scramble when needed. I could see this duo work for us, with Willy as #1 and Nicholls as a vet #2, then we can get a younger QB for short yardage plays at #3. Unfortunately we might wait until next season to see that.

I hope that we have a better backup QB than Matt Nichols next season.

We can do worse.  We are likely doing worse right now with Brohm/Marve.  Who would you propose we get?  Bearing in mind that finding someone who's good enough to be a quality backup but not good enough to be a starter is a tricky thing to do.

I hope that we have a better backup QB than Matt Nichols next season.

Why? And who?

With Nichols as backup, I could see us having won 1 maybe 2 of the games we did lose. He is that veteran presence that can step in and not literally grow the game away. Way better than what we've had in a long time.

Willy, Nichols, new guy at #3 and 4 and finally we can concentrate on other areas.