Depth Chart vs Calgary

TrueBlue

the thing that confuses me is Littlejohn comes in off the street and gets into the game right away... Simmons is a CFL vet, he had a full week of practice and he "isn't ready yet" according to Bob Irving... seems odd to me...

Must be MOS's propensity to use "his" players.

the thing that confuses me is Littlejohn comes in off the street and gets into the game right away... Simmons is a CFL vet, he had a full week of practice and he "isn't ready yet" according to Bob Irving... seems odd to me... 

Well Simmons wasn't getting onto the game day roster in Calgary either and one of the big reasons supposedly for that was that he wasn't doing enough on special teams to warrant it so....... logically we can assume that Simmons isn't a good enough special teams player to make the roster if he's not going to start. 

Same goes for Waggoner, thought he would have worked his way into the lineup by now if he is the stud everyone hoped for.

Same goes for Waggoner, thought he would have worked his way into the lineup by now if he is the stud everyone hoped for.

Waggoner has dressed every game this year... he just hasn't taken any defensive reps (that I can recall)

Waggoner has dressed every game this year... he just hasn't taken any defensive reps (that I can recall)

Yah, that's what I mean.  He seems to be on par with Newman and Sherman in terms of mostly playing S.T.

It's hard to have confidence in O'Shea when he consistently makes the wrong roster decisions.

Wrong to whom? The fans? We can criticize all we want and have our reasons for doing so, but we aren't in any position to say his roster moves are wrong, or right.
I don't think I know more about football than MOS but evaluation of performance isn't as hard as you make it out to be. He deserves to be questioned.

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games.  There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

Yah, that's what I mean. He seems to be on par with Newman and Sherman in terms of mostly playing S.T.

Muamba didn't even take defensive reps in his first year until the final game of the season, not sure it's realistic to expect that much out of Waggoner.

Derek Jones and Sherman are surprises for me this year... they seemed to have a huge impact on ST last year and I thought they would challenge for starting spots this year.  At the very least, I thought Jones would spell off Bucknor here and there.

Derek Jones and Sherman are surprises for me this year... they seemed to have a huge impact on ST last year and I thought they would challenge for starting spots this year.  At the very least, I thought Jones would spell off Bucknor here and there.

I don't think impact on special teams equates to starting. You can ask the Team President about that.

This is like a Redux of Waterworld. The original movie had EJ Kuale as the main actor with a poor supporting cast. In the second attempt the producers did manage to find a better supporting cast but with Sam Hurl who's only movie was "Dirty Dancing in Regina" playing the lead role, the movie has not attracted much attention. However, the director is not about to change the script.

Irritating.

I agree.  Not so much because of Simmons, more because of keeping guys like Nate Collins off the roster and dressing a guy like Jhomo Gordon who is lost.  I'd rather have all our NI receivers playing and use that import spot on someone who can make a difference.

Stoudermire's gotta be close to making his way off the roster if he doesn't start producing with Veltung healthy.

I don't think impact on special teams equates to starting. You can ask the Team President about that.

Agree - except they both got starting reps last year and didn't look out of place.

Agree - except they both got starting reps last year and didn't look out of place.

I don't disagree, it seemed that Sherman had some good defensive work I don't remember Jones taking defensive reps. On the other hand a new DC is likely to use his players a bit differently and maybe even put something down on paper.  

I don't disagree, it seemed that Sherman had some good defensive work I don't remember Jones taking defensive reps. On the other hand a new DC is likely to use his players a bit differently and maybe even put something down on paper.  

Maybe all those years in Sask messed with Hall's playbook...

'Unclebrother, gopher gopher (armpit farts and chugs a pilsner), BRRRAAPPP (claps hands)'...  everyone except Hurl shrugs.

Might be time for the whiteboards.

It's hard to have confidence in O'Shea when he consistently makes the wrong roster decisions.

Wrong to whom? The fans? We can criticize all we want and have our reasons for doing so, but we aren't in any position to say his roster moves are wrong, or right.
I don't think I know more about football than MOS but evaluation of performance isn't as hard as you make it out to be. He deserves to be questioned.

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games.  There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

I hate that rationale. It's apparent that O'Shea is stubborn, sticks with players far too long and has terrible roster management. 

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/wpg/pdf/depth/2015/Depth_vs_Calgary_August_29082703.pdf

Simmons not playing. 

Some should be pleased to see only 7 national "starters".

I'm not getting this one. I would ask Coach O'Shea, what would be the significant impact to this team if Simmons started?

Was it Richie Hall's influence that made this decision?

The guy's playing his former team with very recent history festering, put him in!

I think that Simmons is being over rated by many on this forum. Last year in Orrawa he was the best of a very bad lot, but it's pretty obvious that on a team with talent he is depth. Hopefully, he can play himself onto the 44 man and help us down the stretch, but people shouldn't be crying foul because he hasn't done so in his first week.

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games. There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

I agree with some of what you're saying but your logic suggests that MOS is infallible and makes all the right decisions because he has access to all the film. History suggests loyalty plays a role in his decision making. For better or for worse.

I hate that rationale. It's apparent that O'Shea is stubborn, sticks with players far too long and has terrible roster management. 

So what you are saying is the characteristic that makes the coach appealing to players is his fatal flaw. So I saw a coach a couple of years ago who constantly threw his players under the bus and never took responsibility for being over his head.

Festering locker room was the result.

So a coach who is all about maintain evenness, professionalism and gradual improvement should start pulling a player off the scrap heap and throw him into fire. That sounds like a desperation move. Oh sure I know you are going to say this is desperate times. I say no way. Things are getting better if you subtract the terrible injuries. Only Hamilton looks really good this year and they just lost to Montreal who just tossed their coach. The bombers are not great but no team is great this year. 

It is not impossible for Calgary to get beat Saturday. I don't know if I would have said that last year and for sure not the year before. 

Question O'Shea all you want. Evaluation of players doesn't start and stop with just what you've seen on TV and at the games. There's a lot you don't see, unless you're at every practice and in the meetings.

I also don't claim to know the exact reasons (even if I have suspicions) but can you honestly say starting Sherman over a healthy Sears was purely a football performances decision? Ditto for Kuale over literally anyone.