The Day Early Game Day Thread - BC @ WPG

Watch the Washington pick Westerman was right in Lulays face. The Adams one he flushed out of the pocket and tried to force on in to the sideline.

But after way too many steamboats. That play had way too much time to materialize, which put the DB/safety in a bind. BC a few times ran a three man attack on us and they get a sack.

Lulay's a mobile QB who moves around a lot. Lulay, for the most part, had time to go threw his reads last night, at least that's what I saw. I yelled at the TV a lot because of that.

All I'm saying is out of all the areas needed to improve our defense, as this is a passing league, that would be my number one, because everything else dominoes from there. I think the commentators mentioned last night we're eighth in passes completed against.   

Lulay had several issues last night. But they only started after that Lion Pride march downfield on their 1st possession. Yes, there were plays when he had too much time, but those didn't kill us. Lulay got to hear 1st hand, crowd noise, and it bothered him. Throw in enough pressure from our defensive rushes and you end up with turnovers. They say that BC have allowed the least sacks so far this year, and we saw that when Lulay threw the ball down a couple of times. But it was the consistent pressure guys who never quit, that caused Lulay to toss 3 ints. Well, actually, one of them was an outstanding athletic play from Johnny Adams when he laid out and stole the ball from the receiver's hands.

Outstanding!

Watch the Washington pick Westerman was right in Lulays face. The Adams one he flushed out of the pocket and tried to force on in to the sideline.

But after way too many steamboats. That play had way too much time to materialize, which put the DB/safety in a bind. BC a few times ran a three man attack on us and they get a sack.

Lulay's a mobile QB who moves around a lot. Lulay, for the most part, had time to go threw his reads last night, at least that's what I saw. I yelled at the TV a lot because of that.

All I'm saying is out of all the areas needed to improve our defense, as this is a passing league, that would be my number one, because everything else dominoes from there. I think the commentators mentioned last night we're eighth in passes completed against.   

You must count fast.  :lol:

They know that BC is going downfield with the ball, so priority one is to hold the rush lanes so Lulay can't slip out and run for 20 yards because the LB's and DB's will be clearing out in coverage, then get pressure upfield.

Gibson was in the backfield all night and the refs probably could have called BC's tackles for a dozen holds on him.  I believe they called about 5 on Gibson, many were declined.  Thomas was a monster against the run, but crashing into the pocket too.  Nobody can block Collins and it's clear that he's picking up how to play the yard of the ball and the wider gaps.  Johnson played all over the field, end, 3 technique and linebacker.  If our DL plays like that every game the defense won't be giving up many points and will probably be scoring some, or at least turning the ball over so our offence can score easily.

They know that BC is going downfield with the ball, so priority one is to hold the rush lanes so Lulay can't slip out and run for 20 yards because the LB's and DB's will be clearing out in coverage, then get pressure upfield.

Gibson was in the backfield all night and the refs probably could have called BC's tackles for a dozen holds on him.  I believe they called about 5 on Gibson, many were declined.  Thomas was a monster against the run, but crashing into the pocket too.  Nobody can block Collins and it's clear that he's picking up how to play the yard of the ball and the wider gaps.  Johnson played all over the field, end, 3 technique and linebacker.  If our DL plays like that every game the defense won't be giving up many points and will probably be scoring some, or at least turning the ball over so our offence can score easily.

Oh oh JBR has spoken, I'm done. :-)

Good analysis, makes sense. Still not sold on the fact that our DL regularly hurried Lulay into making bad decisions, Lulay just seemed to be off for other reasons. If I had the time, I'd rewatch the game looking for what you've pointed out. I don't have the time, but will do it for next game :-).

Is this a start of a new era on our d-line? Turner and Peach aren't being missed by me. 

Usually, I don't like the Bombers to play the 1st game of the week. They haven't had the greatest success with playing 1st. This week, however, it wIll be a pleasure to watch CFL action.

Monday features a battle for the Eastern lead, Toronto in Hamilton. Should be a good game for "Austin Angst"

Saturday, maybe Montreal can do us a favour by defeating Calgary, those lucky flakes.

But tonight, (spoiler alert for Sask. fans) we get to see the dismantling of the Roughriders when they visit Edmonton. The question is, how many QBs will Sask. use?

Lulay had several issues last night. But they only started after that Lion Pride march downfield on their 1st possession. Yes, there were plays when he had too much time, but those didn't kill us. Lulay got to hear 1st hand, crowd noise, and it bothered him. Throw in enough pressure from our defensive rushes and you end up with turnovers. They say that BC have allowed the least sacks so far this year, and we saw that when Lulay threw the ball down a couple of times. But it was the consistent pressure guys who never quit, that caused Lulay to toss 3 ints. Well, actually, one of them was an outstanding athletic play from Johnny Adams when he laid out and stole the ball from the receiver's hands.

Outstanding!

Lulay tossed a few ducks, maybe his shoulder will never be as strong as before the injury.

Looks like another one of 'those' years - a win and a loss, a win and a loss. Consistency (the winning kind) next step for next year maybe? That will be when Willy's big contract kicks in. 

I think this year's goal is to make the playoffs.  If we can do that, anything can happen.  2007 proved that.

That decision by Tedford to go for it on 3rd and 2 was a huge momentum shift, after the Bombers threw away all of the momentum generated by the Adams INT with two sacks, a fumble (recovered) and then Lirim's brain fart gamble on 3rd and 21.  I couldn't believe how fast the Bombers were able to just destroy all of the momentum, but then our D came up big and Lulay made a terrible pass to a wide open Harris.  If the Lions had converted that 3rd and 2, the game probably would have ended a lot differently.  Definitely the TSN turning point.  I still don't know why they didn't just run Harris on that play, he was gold for 2 to 3 yards on every hand-off.

In the moment I liked the call from Tedford to try make O'shea pay for putting them in 2nd and 18 instead of 3rd and 8 and punting. They never should have been in 3rd and 2 to go for it if O'shea made a better call the play before. The upside to accepting that penalty is up to 10 yard of field position, the downside is potentially a first down. Didn't seem like a smart move from Winnipeg at the time.

That decision by Tedford to go for it on 3rd and 2 was a huge momentum shift, after the Bombers threw away all of the momentum generated by the Adams INT with two sacks, a fumble (recovered) and then Lirim's brain fart gamble on 3rd and 21.  I couldn't believe how fast the Bombers were able to just destroy all of the momentum, but then our D came up big and Lulay made a terrible pass to a wide open Harris.  If the Lions had converted that 3rd and 2, the game probably would have ended a lot differently.  Definitely the TSN turning point.  I still don't know why they didn't just run Harris on that play, he was gold for 2 to 3 yards on every hand-off.

In the moment I liked the call from Tedford to try make O'shea pay for putting them in 2nd and 18 instead of 3rd and 8 and punting. They never should have been in 3rd and 2 to go for it if O'shea made a better call the play before. The upside to accepting that penalty is up to 10 yard of field position, the downside is potentially a first down. Didn't seem like a smart move from Winnipeg at the time.

Wasn't 3rd and 8.  It was 3rd and less than 2 yards.  The penalty was applied from the previous spot.

It started 2nd and 8...they got 6 yards, but there was a holding penalty, so if they declined the penalties (there were 2 calls) and moved the ball 10 yards for 2nd and 18. They got back 16, then Lulay rushed the pass, and the ball was turned over. Bad call? I don't think so. It would have been 3rd and 2 in the 1st place.

Wasn't 3rd and 8.  It was 3rd and less than 2 yards.  The penalty was applied from the previous spot.

*edit* appears I remembered it incorrectly, ignore me

Looks like another one of 'those' years - a win and a loss, a win and a loss. Consistency (the winning kind) next step for next year maybe? That will be when Willy's big contract kicks in. 

What do you want from the guy? What do you mean that next year his big contract will kick in? What game did you watch Thursday? 

Willy has taken ownership of his team by gritting out the win on Thursday. He was doubtless playing with a creaky wheel and rose up to play what may have been his best overall game since arriving in River City. It wasn't just about firing the ball of dekeing handoffs but about leading by example and thus earning the respect of his team and fans alike. No future is certain, but Willy is probably going to be the best QB we've had in a decade.