Fire O'Shea

holoman

Adams Denmark and Moore have been really good when together. Import WR not a big issue as some make of it.

I think people would like that elusive 4th impact import receiver so that there would be no justification for dressing a Bastien or a JFG.
Also need guys to fill in at an adequate level at the very least. The guys we've had playing when Adams or Moore have been out were terrible.

Adams is very inconsistent and prone to lazy efforts too. He's handed the opposition at least 3 picks this year just being flat out lazy on a ball. I can see why the Argos moved on.

Grab Marc Trestman as HC and Dave **** as OC.

Now saddle them with the "talent" and "depth" Walters has provided -- Marve/Brohm, Bucknor at DB, our O-line, etc. 

We'd have more wins, yes (purging MB will do that) but we wouldn't be the Stamps or Ticats. 

You can't expect any HC to just shazam this squad of also-rans into a winning club -- especially once the starters go down .

Now saddle them with the "talent" and "depth" Walters has provided -- Marve/Brohm, Bucknor at DB, our O-line, etc. 

We'd have more wins, yes (purging MB will do that) but we wouldn't be the Stamps or Ticats. 

You can't expect any HC to just shazam this squad of also-rans into a winning club -- especially once the starters go down .

No one was going to win with Brohm/Marve. Full stop. However, a guy like Nichols could probably be .500 with us if we had reasonable offensive coaching. I think our HCing is fine and that Hall has done a good job with the D. Our biggest flaws this year has been with the offensive play calling and system and with highly suspect ST play. I think our team has played well and been well prepared for all games this year with the exception of the Hamilton game. That indicates to me that MOS has not lost the room and is capable of motivating our team but needs  better ST and O coordinators.

No one was going to win with Brohm/Marve. Full stop. However, a guy like Nichols could probably be .500 with us if we had reasonable offensive coaching. I think our HCing is fine and that Hall has done a good job with the D. Our biggest flaws this year has been with the offensive play calling and system and with highly suspect ST play. I think our team has played well and been well prepared for all games this year with the exception of the Hamilton game. That indicates to me that MOS has not lost the room and is capable of motivating our team but needs  better ST and O coordinators.

Agree with you on OShea and the D, but you're ignoring the big problem which is the horrible personnel. 

Our "pipeline" to talent is obviously clogged. 

When Walters signed Chevon Walker he officially served his own notice.

No one's expecting the HC to shazam the squad into a powerhouse team. An average team would make most around here do cartwheels.

As it stands, we need to win 3 out of the last 4 games and tie the other one to get to Richie's second season 7-10-1 record which would probably make the playoffs. 

HC's who are under 70 and have winning records... Benevides and Berry(67) immediately come to mind, there are probably others.

The best thing we can say about O'Shea is that he hasn't lost the room? His coordinators are a problem but he's the one who hired them and kept them on. I'm not giving Walters an out, but O'Shea's in charge of which players play and he's often made some suspicious choices IMHO.

I was in the fire osh camp a few weeks back but I'm not anymore.

We were in the last two games right into the dyin seconds and we're screwed by the refs against Calgary. We were screwed by an anemic offense with no imagination(going on 6 years now).

The defence has done a complete 180 from last year and made Riley look like a rookie running for his life and had Mitchell looking ordinary. All things being equal, with willy in for the last two games I believe we win those games.

MB has to go and should have been gone with crouton. If Oshawa wants to keep MB then that it, pull the plug. Mid Shea punts MB and brings in a creative, promising of then give him one more year. Walters MUST find better import receivers and better linemen. But I'm guessing MB has a lot to do with our horrible ou online is and how often he tries to run up the gut over and over when it's never working.

The team is not quitting and that suggests strong leadership and buy in from the players.. Osh needs a better OC and better receivers for willy to throw through. The Defense under halls watch is fun to watch and becoming dominate.

Sorry for iPad autocorrect issues, but I'm to lazy to edit.

No we weren't. How can you say that. Did the official block Liram's kick? He had a 49 yard field goal attempt he should have made. Period. Edmonton got 'screwed by the refs' even more with that bogus PI call on Willis (an obvious makeup call) and their three week old kicker kicked a 53 yarder (4 yards farther back) into the wind - so I fail to see this point. GOOD TEAMS find a way to win, and BAD TEAMS find a way to lose. Bombers are the latter, they always find a way to lose

OShs biggest problem is his lame attempts to deflect blame from his players make him look lost and incompetent. 

He's like the polar opposite of Burke. Which isn't good either. 

I guarantee that there have been and will certainly will be more heated private discussions between OS, Miller and Walters, with a theme like "you expect me to extract talent from the team? Get me some talented players."

I was in the fire osh camp a few weeks back but I'm not anymore.

We were in the last two games right into the dyin seconds and we're screwed by the refs against Calgary. We were screwed by an anemic offense with no imagination(going on 6 years now).

The defence has done a complete 180 from last year and made Riley look like a rookie running for his life and had Mitchell looking ordinary. All things being equal, with willy in for the last two games I believe we win those games.

MB has to go and should have been gone with crouton. If Oshawa wants to keep MB then that it, pull the plug. Mid Shea punts MB and brings in a creative, promising of then give him one more year. Walters MUST find better import receivers and better linemen. But I'm guessing MB has a lot to do with our horrible ou online is and how often he tries to run up the gut over and over when it's never working.

The team is not quitting and that suggests strong leadership and buy in from the players.. Osh needs a better OC and better receivers for willy to throw through. The Defense under halls watch is fun to watch and becoming dominate.

Thanks a lot, I just caught dyslexia from reading your post!

I'm just spit balling here, but what if Miller stuck or is sticking O'Shea with Bellfool? Would that change peoples opinion of him?

Why would Miller do that?  His greatest concern is putting bums in seats and generating more revenue and that can only be achieved through more wins.  MB and winning are not compatible ingredients.

I'm just spit balling here, but what if Miller stuck or is sticking O'Shea with Bellfool? Would that change peoples opinion of him?

I don't buy that. I think O'Shea wanted consistency and continuity, they felt they could spend money on the OL and improve things and it didn't work out. We have a pretty clear impression that O'Shea isn't happy with the way the offense has performed and he's basicalyl all but called out the OC. He'll be replaced in the offseason I have no doubts about it. 

No doubt in the history of the CFL there have been hard coaches who have been saddled with assistants who were not of their choices, but if any candidate for head coach agreed to that he would deserve the disaster which inevitably would follow. I not longer have a high opinion of O'Shea as a head coach,but I do not think he would be dumb enough to accept that. Good or bad, O'Shea is the master of his own fate.

Regarding the OC, I think they don't necessarily buy into that "Addition By Subtraction" thing that some on here are keen to promote. If and when someone clearly better and proven comes available in the off-season, they'll make a jump. Similar situation to Etch....I'm not sure they were as keen to make a move on him as people on this board, but when you get a guy like Richie Hall come available, you make the move because it's a clear upgrade. If and when someone comes available that's a clear upgrade, they'll make the move this offseason.

Regarding the OC, I think they don't necessarily buy into that "Addition By Subtraction" thing that some on here are keen to promote. If and when someone clearly better and proven comes available in the off-season, they'll make a jump. Similar situation to Etch....I'm not sure they were as keen to make a move on him as people on this board, but when you get a guy like Richie Hall come available, you make the move because it's a clear upgrade. If and when someone comes available that's a clear upgrade, they'll make the move this offseason.

Nice story, but the facts don't support it. Bombers fired Etcheverry Dec 17, 2014. They hired Hall January 20, 2015 after interviewing other candidates like Benevides.

They knew Dec 9, 2014, or sooner, that he wouldn't be back with the Riders.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/richie-hall-out-as-roughriders-defensive-co-ordinator-1.2865904

Yeah, I remember this clearly....Hall and Benny became available first of all, and when people knew that they were on the market, there was a pretty clear indication we'd have to move on from Etch. 

With the oline I think they are one or two guys always from having it fixed. With Bryant you have left side solved have to see how Daniels comes back after the injury but he is solid there. Suk Chung will be a good one at RG. Centre would like to see Goosen win the job next year. So really need to fill that LG spot. Playing call I think can help those guys out a bunch.

With the oline I think they are one or two guys always from having it fixed. With Bryant you have left side solved have to see how Daniels comes back after the injury but he is solid there. Suk Chung will be a good one at RG. Centre would like to see Goosen win the job next year. So really need to fill that LG spot. Playing call I think can help those guys out a bunch.

This....and I'm not 100% sure because I don't know enough to know enough....but Willy might need to be quicker, too...

I think you fire MB and you put in a new OC with schemes that are designed to the strengths of guys and not to their weakness's and I think you will see a massive improvement from the OLINE... I don't think they are that great but i definitely don't think the talent is the worst in the league... 

Bryant is very good, Chungh should be better,Daniels was solid at the other tackle position,Goossen should hopefully replace Picard... one guard spot to fill... and ofcourse one backup spot too. 

Think the talent isn't the issue as much as the schemes are. 

I was in the fire osh camp a few weeks back but I'm not anymore.We were in the last two games right into the dyin seconds and we're screwed by the refs against Calgary. We were screwed by an anemic offense with no imagination(going on 6 years now).

No we weren't. How can you say that. Did the official block Liram's kick? He had a 49 yard field goal attempt he should have made. Period. Edmonton got 'screwed by the refs' even more with that bogus PI call on Willis (an obvious makeup call) and their three week old kicker kicked a 53 yarder (4 yards farther back) into the wind - so I fail to see this point. GOOD TEAMS find a way to win, and BAD TEAMS find a way to lose. Bombers are the latter, they always find a way to lose

No but the ghost "no end call" caused a turn over.

Im not suggesting we are a good team at all. We are worse then average, but a competent kicker wins the game easily last week and maybe even against Calgary. Against two of the best teams in the league.

Maybe I just stopped caring about the team a bit but I don't think oshea is the main problem with the team. I think the OC is and has been the weakest point for 3 years now and the talent level on offense is just not good enough to overcome it.

If he wants to keep MB after the season is gone then oshea can go with him. If instead oshea wants to can him and demands better players on offence then I give him another year. The team appears to be a few key pieces away from beating the best teams in the league the last couple of weeks. Throwing it all away again and starting fresh hasn't worked in the past 10 years.

I think it's just a matter of time b4 MB is gone, Little hints from Oshea every now and then suggest he is none too pleased with the O... few weeks back, said the O is all Marcel and Marcel only, maybe a week ago, said the O needs to have better half time adjustments... MOS has started to distance himself from MB a bit and i think it's just a matter of time b4 MB is sent packing... the writing is definitely on the wall, I just don't think they do it until maybe our bye week later in the season here or after the Grey Cup game... but i think it's gonna happen. 

What I desperately wish for is an experienced GM that could sit O'Shea down and mentor him.  Explain how loyalty is great, but winning is greater.  I don't think that Walters has the chops to do that and as a result the team suffers because of O'Shea's misplaced loyalty to coaches and players that just aren't good enough.  He may just have to learn the hard way that keeping coaches and players that aren't that good, but who really love you just means that you'll have lots of guys willing to carry stuff out to your car as you clean out your office.

What I desperately wish for is an experienced GM that could sit O'Shea down and mentor him. Explain how loyalty is great, but winning is greater. I don't think that Walters has the chops to do that and as a result the team suffers because of O'Shea's misplaced loyalty to coaches and players that just aren't good enough. He may just have to learn the hard way that keeping coaches and players that aren't that good, but who really love you just means that you'll have lots of guys willing to carry stuff out to your car as you clean out your office.

Agree 100% about the part where O'Shea needs a GM who can mentor him. Good post.