Fire O'Shea

holoman

Repeated failure, and this team is going on 25 years without a championship, is bad business. It creates loss of corporate and fan interest. If this team stumbles along like it has under O'Shea's watch and O'Shea is still here next season you just watch the empty seats spring up. Hosting the Grey Cup this year will buy time but as Braley has found out, once that money is gone, and the seats remain empty, it means big trouble.

I can see the league stepping in at that point and demanding to see the books and questioning the BOD on whether a professional football team can be supported here at IGF. Don't think it can happen? Ottawa has lost their team several times, the latest being the Ottawa Renegades. I know they're back now as the Redblacks but that franchise was suspended indefinitely by the league due to financial instability, and its players were absorbed by the other teams in a dispersal draft.

Unless this team has a dramatic turnaround that generates some real interest next year, keeping O'Shea won't be possible strictly from a business perspective. 

Just want to clarify what you are posting here ... are you suggesting that if we keep O'Shea we will be in danger of losing our franchise?

Trying to compare public ownership to private doesn't work. The fact the Bombers are publically owned is probably the only thing that keeps them afloat but it also ties their hands when it comes to spending on football operations where this team still lags behind some of the other franchises.

Repeated failure, and this team is going on 25 years without a championship, is bad business. It creates loss of corporate and fan interest. If this team stumbles along like it has under O'Shea's watch and O'Shea is still here next season you just watch the empty seats spring up. Hosting the Grey Cup this year will buy time but as Braley has found out, once that money is gone, and the seats remain empty, it means big trouble.

I can see the league stepping in at that point and demanding to see the books and questioning the BOD on whether a professional football team can be supported here at IGF. Don't think it can happen? Ottawa has lost their team several times, the latest being the Ottawa Renegades. I know they're back now as the Redblacks but that franchise was suspended indefinitely by the league due to financial instability, and its players were absorbed by the other teams in a dispersal draft.

Unless this team has a dramatic turnaround that generates some real interest next year, keeping O'Shea won't be possible strictly from a business perspective. 

Just want to clarify what you are posting here ... are you suggesting that if we keep O'Shea we will be in danger of losing our franchise?

I'm suggesting that if fans stop buying seats at IGF, rather than risk losing money and getting into financial trouble, O'Shea will be turfed.

Trying to compare public ownership to private doesn't work. The fact the Bombers are publically owned is probably the only thing that keeps them afloat but it also ties their hands when it comes to spending on football operations where this team still lags behind some of the other franchises.

Public ownership doesn't mean they can't get into financial trouble, especially if the will to support the team is gone. The people of Manitoba are unlikely to want to keep flushing their money.

I predict that there is a huge drop in attendance next year whether OShea is fired or not.

Been too many rebuilds in the last 10 years. Cleaning house won't give hope anymore

No more benefit of the doubt. Have to win to get fans back at this point.

If status quo provides no hope and you say cleaning house provides no hope. I think cleaning house is ultimately the best scenario for providing some element of hope.

What I think is they should do what is best for the club going forward and not what is best for ticket sales.

Sales will suffer regardless.

Public ownership doesn't mean they can't get into financial trouble, especially if the will to support the team is gone. The people of Manitoba are unlikely to want to keep flushing their money.

Other than constantly complaining about every single facet of the Blue Bombers organization, do you have anything else to contribute here?  I seem to recall that in your first few posts you talked about how people don't often react favourably to what you have to say.  I'm seeing why that is and the issue, I would suggest, does not lie with them.

I predict that there is a huge drop in attendance next year whether OShea is fired or not.

Been too many rebuilds in the last 10 years. Cleaning house won't give hope anymore

Yes you're probably right about attendance next year. I've seen disgruntled Bomber fans in the peg before but never as bad as right now. 

If status quo provides no hope and you say cleaning house provides no hope. I think cleaning house is ultimately the best scenario for providing some element of hope.

What I think is they should do what is best for the club going forward and not what is best for ticket sales.

The BOD's will make sure money comes first.

If the horrible mismanagement and coaching of the past three regimes haven't totally turned the faithful off, I suspect that we will continue to live in hope that next year will finally be better.

If the horrible mismanagement and coaching of the past three regimes haven't totally turned the faithful off, I suspect that we will continue to live in hope that next year will finally be better.

Everyone has a breaking point where hope isn't enough anymore.  There comes a time when talk (and token firings) are nothing but cheap parlour tricks.  Comes a time when you have used up all your free chances and people won't come back until you prove you are worthy.

I consider myself about as hardcore as they come for a Bomber fan.  Don't want to think of the money I've spent on tickets and jerseys and memorabilia over the years.   I will still be in the stands next year because I bought Grey Cup tickets and committed to the season tickets for the next couple of years.  But for the first time in ..... forever ... I have found myself questioning why I continue to buy season tickets.  Although the last two games have been more entertaining, I'm tired of fighting traffic and paying inflated food and drink prices to watch a subpar team where I have little hope that they will win.

Maybe you are right, maybe I'm the minority in that ... but the conversations I hear between people when walking out of the stadium don't give me hope that others aren't feeling the same way.

I have to agree with you in spite of my usual optimism. I cannot recall feeling as pessimistic about the Bombers' prospects. I witnessed some bad regimes like Spaavital, Zaleski, Daley, Rogers, Kelly, Burke and Reinebold, but I knew they were long shots and had little hope they would pan out. When Burke was fired, I believed that an experienced head coach and GM were needed, but I allowed myself to think that maybe the Hufnagel and Austin approach just might work out. O'Shea was a fierce competitor as a linebacker with a long career and ought to have had the right stuff, but all the available evidence says no.

Where in Hell do we go from here?

Great point. Speaking of doing what's best for the club, one of the most fundamental things a club can do for it's own well-being is to draft and develop it's own players. We drafted and developed a player like Henoc Muamba and I think it's just plain wrong when we let him leave for the NFL and he comes back and signs with the Als. To see Henoc do that really hurts. I think we need to come up with some arm-twisting techniques and incentives to keep these types of players Bombers-for-life.

On that note, I'm so proud of Ian Wild coming back and re-signing with us. That made me feel just great as a Bomber fan and was a real good break for the team. I think we have played better since his return. It speaks volumes about that young man's character and we can only hope it impresses other Bomber players as well.

Speaking of incentives, when it comes to players like Hajrullahu, talented as he may be, if it's true that he doesn't want to re-sign with us next year and is only playing out the string here in Winnipeg, I hope Walters lets him walk and refuses to overpay him. It would send the wrong message.

Another incentive for the players is having a stud quarterback like Drew Willy. It is imperative that Walters is successful in building a dominant O-line and we find a way to keep this young man upright and uninjured. 

IGF is a first-rate facility and that is a good incentive to entice players to want to play here.

A respected coaching staff is also a huge incentive. The players may like MOS but I don't know if they respect him. I don't think Marcel Bellefeuille is respected either. Richie Hall, I believe, is respected and the play of the D reflects that.

I'm not a big fan of free-agency. Moore has not been productive enough and Picard has been a disaster. Walters could have made better use of that money.

Of course, like you said, winning is probably the best incentive of all. 

I have to agree with you in spite of my usual optimism. I cannot recall feeling as pessimistic about the Bombers' prospects. I witnessed some bad regimes like Spaavital, Zaleski, Daley, Rogers, Kelly, Burke and Reinebold, but I knew they were long shots and had little hope they would pan out. When Burke was fired, I believed that an experienced head coach and GM were needed, but I allowed myself to think that maybe the Hufnagel and Austin approach just might work out. O'Shea was a fierce competitor as a linebacker with a long career and ought to have had the right stuff, but all the available evidence says no.

I believe it has to start with Walters. We need to be patient and draft and develop our own players and quit over-spending on free agents. Spend that money on keeping the good players we already have. We need to get them signed. We need to treat our players right. We need to be a club that players want to play for. Bellefeuille must go! Pay whatever it takes to get a creative, intelligent, modern OC in here and pay him enough to keep him here long term. Same with O'Shea. If he's not cutting it, turf him. Get a creative, intelligent, modern HC in here and pay him enough to keep him here long term. Give Richie Hall whatever he wants to stay here long term. Same with the players. Lock up Willy and Nichols and do whatever it takes to build the O-line. Go from there. If Walters cannot deliver, Miller needs to replace him. Pay whatever it takes to get a creative, intelligent, well-connected GM in here and lock him up long term. Then we need some luck. Just win, baby. 

I think 3 years is fair for both Walters and O'Shea to prove themselves, if they can't put a winning product on the field by then, see ya.

I think 3 years is fair for both Walters and O'Shea to prove themselves, if they can't put a winning product on the field by then, see ya.

So that's what, one more year each? What if an exemplary GM and/or HC became available in the off-season, would you pull the trigger to get that person in here?

So that's what, one more year each? What if an exemplary GM and/or HC became available in the off-season, would you pull the trigger to get that person in here?

lol, this is the Bombers we're talking about here, they're to cheap to actually employ exemplary people, which is why we keep sucking. But, if that person was available, you would be stupid to pass him up given how fed up the fan base is.

I don't think it is purely about money. Money does not buy you smarts, and neither does hiring on the basis of likability. We need someone with proven success as a coach and this not just about schemes- its even more about the ability to judge both subordinates and players. Kuale is a prime example of someone who shouldn't have been here long enough to unpack, and this year its both Bellefeuille and Walker.

You can't build through the draft in the CFL. You only get the player for their first contract. A couple/few years later they can be gone like Muamba and Labatte before him.

We need to find a way to get a second contract out of these guys. I get the NFL thing but there has got to be a way to keep a player longer term. Third contract let him go for draft picks. 

lol, this is the Bombers we're talking about here, they're to cheap to actually employ exemplary people, which is why we keep sucking. But, if that person was available, you would be stupid to pass him up given how fed up the fan base is.

You're right, that is why we keep sucking. Gotta change that.