Flags...Seriously

Welcome to the CFFL (Canadian "Flag" Football League):

In 2014 there were an average of 20 penalties per game in the CFL.

After 8 games in 2015 there is an average of 25 penalties per game (a 25% increase)!

In the NFL since 1991 there is an average of 12.5 penalties per game.

It's getting harder and harder to enjoy the CFL experience with these number of disruptions to the flow of the game.

Teach the receivers, linemen and blitzers how to stay onside and you'll cut that number by 1/3.

If anything the officials are being lenient on IC/PI and UR calls to this point.

There's probably 10 penalties a game as a result of the IC/PI and new Oline kicking rule so once they catch on things might settle down. 

I haven't watched every CFL game attentively, but I've only seen this called 3 times myself.  Also haven't seen the illegal contact called more than it has been in the past other than on Saskatchewan in our first game.

The new rules give them more chances to throw the flag.  Not surprising that the number of them has gone up.  As a start, they could eliminate the chintzy 'Unsportsman' penalties for pretending to eat or pretending to go for a flag. Those type of penalties do nothing but slow the game down.  

Officials never like to be told what they should be doing. It's an insult to their great knowledge of the game and their superior capacity to judge. Hummm, Makes me think of "Scent of a Woman". He too had great knowledge, judgement and was also blind.

The new rules give them more chances to throw the flag.  Not surprising that the number of them has gone up.  As a start, they could eliminate the chintzy 'Unsportsman' penalties for pretending to eat or pretending to go for a flag. Those type of penalties do nothing but slow the game down.  

See, thats the thing.  You know it's a penalty so you shouldn't go ahead and do it.

It's like going 20 KM over the speed limit then getting shocked you got a speeding ticket.

See, thats the thing.  You know it's a penalty so you shouldn't go ahead and do it.

It's like going 20 KM over the speed limit then getting shocked you got a speeding ticket.

While I agree with you in theory, there's no reason to throw the flag either.  Talking or miming doesn't really amount to much and it's certainly not going to protect the players.  A bench penalty for yapping almost cost Calgary a win in week 1.  Dumb thing to do... sure, but it should never be a game changer.  BLM got a penalty for calling for a penalty that was called a penalty.  Changed the ball placement from the 1 to the 10(?) which could have changed the outcome.

I agree there seems to be a penalty on almost every play. Far too many penalties. Perhaps there will be an adjustment to the new rules, but I recall last year seemed like too many penalties as well. Lots of times I think we need to let the boys play.....

While I agree with you in theory, there's no reason to throw the flag either.  Talking or miming doesn't really amount to much and it's certainly not going to protect the players.  A bench penalty for yapping almost cost Calgary a win in week 1.  Dumb thing to do... sure, but it should never be a game changer.  BLM got a penalty for calling for a penalty that was called a penalty.  Changed the ball placement from the 1 to the 10(?) which could have changed the outcome.

Well, they've declared zero tolerance on certain actions and words.  They'd look awfully stupid if they didn't enforce it, about as stupid as the guys still performing/saying the things that they've been told (second season for some of these things) there's zero tolerance on.  Coaches need to exert some control on their players and sidelines too.

I get the zero tolerance idea, I just think they are focussing on the wrong things.  Hit a QB in the head and don't get a penalty.  Mime 'there's got to be a flag on that' and you do.  I just doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree they have been very soft and inconsistent on the player safety issue, despite having it pretty clearly spelled out in the rules.  Don't really see any relation to the objectionable conduct penalties though.

Well, they've declared zero tolerance on certain actions and words.  They'd look awfully stupid if they didn't enforce it, about as stupid as the guys still performing/saying the things that they've been told (second season for some of these things) there's zero tolerance on.  Coaches need to exert some control on their players and sidelines too.

Also, football is a game of emotions.. Why let players do something that could entice a retaliation.. Maybe one even violent or targeted..

Smh.

This is getting to a point where it's getting impossible to watch a game because of all the flags.  Seriously.  Last nights game was impossible to watch, the Bomber game had enough and now the Rider/BC game is getting beyond frustrating.

When are the players going to pull a Tom Canada and pull the flag out of the refs pocket.  How long before the fans start getting annoyed and not watching or sending the league nasty emails?

I know the new rules are difficult for the players to adjust and there will be some more penalties.  But what's with all the bench penalties and late calls from the refs .  Just let the men play!

I'm not sure there's a lot to be gained by me complaining get about flags thrown by the zebras. It's certainly lessens my enjoyment of the match. But I've decided there's SFA I can do about that so just try and enjoy the game the way it is, Barring unsportsmanlike penalties from the bench or after the play is whistled dead. But for **** sakes, protect the QB's.

I hate every single new rule introduced this year. Throw them into the dumpster fire cause BC/Sask had an awesome ending and all I could think about was the 249539593 illegal contact penalties called throughout the game. If this is the quality of football the CFL wants to offer me I'm afraid I won't be watching much aside from the Bomber games.

Lot of penalties, but in the Bomber game, (watching on tv) I didn't see any that I thought were clearly wrong, maybe one marginal PI call.

I don't like too many flags, but I  really enjoyed watching that game. It was a complete nail biter; the flags did  nothing to change that for me.

I think the games are overall far better this year. 

Lots of flags but I can't help but blame the players rather than the refs. I'm seeing a lot of flags but I find myself saying "Ya okay, that was a penalty" on pretty much all of them.

I truly do hate the flags but I don't know what you do. Just let the penalties slide?

Think most are legit but I think objectionable conduct for showing some emotion is ridiculous and I think some of the holding calls they call could go both ways. Both olines hold lots but lots of times only one team gets it called against them. Either call both teams for holding or neither really. PI on run plays also annoys me. Seen it once or twice for sure. A run play and you call PI. I'd like it if they only called penalties that actually had an effect on the outcome of the play. Holding on returns when the returner is already 15 yards past the guy is stupid too.

I think it was Matt Dunigan who mentioned during the Bomber game that the biggest jump in penalties this year was for procedure penalties. Procedure penalties are offside/illegal procedure, illegal substitution and too many men. In 2014 after week 2 there had been 50 procedure penalties called compared to 77 this season. That's on the players. 

Think most are legit but I think objectionable conduct for showing some emotion is ridiculous and I think some of the holding calls they call could go both ways. Both olines hold lots but lots of times only one team gets it called against them. Either call both teams for holding or neither really. PI on run plays also annoys me. Seen it once or twice for sure. A run play and you call PI. I'd like it if they only called penalties that actually had an effect on the outcome of the play. Holding on returns when the returner is already 15 yards past the guy is stupid too.

They don't call PI on a run play. Illegal contact - yes but not PI.

Holding in that situation is stupid - stupid by the player.

Last year we all whined about offsides, PI and roughing the passer/UR calls being missed or ignored.p

Now.. They get called and people are crying about too many flags?

I get it, we are Winnipeg. We whine. This is a little absurd tho lol. Give it some time, I'm sure they will find a comfortable medium.