[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

The only official concussion Pierce had with the Bombers it seems was in 2012, but that's wikipedia so take it for what it's worth ...

He's had 3 documented concussions in the CFL plus one in college. But the article I read suggested he's had many more.

how were they wrong in the recent past with buck? Is he drooling on himself? Slow to answer questions or respond to his name? no?? wait, hes a coach now!? I thought we broke him! oh.. he played in BC after us as well? Get outta town.. i thought we horrifically ruined his career by forcing him back to the playing field early...

That or your so completely clued out about everything and simply MUST buck whatever popular opinion is current even if the best sports medicine doctor who treats (and holds out million dollar and up players for the jets) is telling you your wrong..

I know what im believing in these cases..

Drooling on himself is your definition of too many concussions?  Thanks Dr. Spuds.  Great work there.  I don't know how this forum would function without your insight but I'd kinda like to find out.  Yup... I think they brought Buck back too early too many times and he was never the same again.  

I know what you're believing in every case.... whatever the Bombers say.  Nope... I don't believe in the infallibility of concussion protocol, doctors, coaches, or players, but I hope they've got it right this time.  

I would like some specific examples please. 

how were they wrong in the recent past with buck? Is he drooling on himself? Slow to answer questions or respond to his name? no?? wait, hes a coach now!? I thought we broke him! oh.. he played in BC after us as well? Get outta town.. i thought we horrifically ruined his career by forcing him back to the playing field early...

That or your so completely clued out about everything and simply MUST buck whatever popular opinion is current even if the best sports medicine doctor who treats (and holds out million dollar and up players for the jets) is telling you your wrong..

I know what im believing in these cases..

Drooling on himself is your definition of too many concussions?  Thanks Dr. Spuds.  Great work there.  I don't know how this forum would function without your insight but I'd kinda like to find out.  Yup... I think they brought Buck back too early too many times and he was never the same again.  

I know what you're believing in every case.... whatever the Bombers say.  Nope... I don't believe in the infallibility of concussion protocol, doctors, coaches, or players, but I hope they've got it right this time.  

I would like some specific examples please. 

You mean documented or the "I think" variety? ;)

The only official concussion Pierce had with the Bombers it seems was in 2012, but that's wikipedia so take it for what it's worth ...

He's had 3 documented concussions in the CFL plus one in college. But the article I read suggested he's had many more.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2012/10/01/20247596.html

This article from 2012 says anywhere from 2-6 concussions since College.  10 seems high.  4-6 is likely.  May have had more or less depending what they consider a concussion.  And in his playing days when they didn't really care much about them he could have had more!

You would think with Buck being a coach for us now he would be one of the guys helping out in determining if Willy is A-OK to play.  I think he may know a thing or 2....or 6 about these types of things :)

This article from 2012 says anywhere from 2-6 concussions since College.  10 seems high.  4-6 is likely.  May have had more or less depending what they consider a concussion.  And in his playing days when they didn't really care much about them he could have had more!

You would think with Buck being a coach for us now he would be one of the guys helping out in determining if Willy is A-OK to play.  I think he may know a thing or 2....or 6 about these types of things :)

10 would be about one a year throughout his pro and college days. It's unlikely, but I bet in his time as a Bomber he had about 5 so who knows lol

I know that ever since I had my appendix out, I've been willing to consult with any doctor if they feel they need a second opinion.  I'm still waiting for my first call because apparently they don't count that as "knowledge".  :P

10 would be about one a year throughout his pro and college days. It's unlikely, but I bet in his time as a Bomber he had about 5 so who knows lol

this kind of statement is ridiculous. He took more head shots in BC than he did as a Bomber. As a Bomber it was always other things. His elbow, his legs his shoulders. 

this kind of statement is ridiculous. He took more head shots in BC than he did as a Bomber. As a Bomber it was always other things. His elbow, his legs his shoulders. 

Think he is exaggerating a bit on 5.  I can only remember 2 that were clear as day....The one against the Riders when they knocked his helmet off and once against TO when Brandon Isaac hit him.  Both times I don't remember him being KOd though.

I'll give credit to Friesen for publishing an alternative view to his prior article.  Dunigan ways in on the Willy hit and says he believes Willy didn't suffer a concussion.

Whatever side of the fence you fall on, or whatever you believe, truth is only Willy really knows what happened, how he was hit, and whether or not he lost consciousness.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/07/09/blue-bombers-quarterback-drew-willy-not-afraid-to-take-a-hit-vs-alouettes

I like this quote: from the same source,

"But I don't think that was the case with Drew. Talking to Drew, I have no question in my mind that he's 100% and ready to go.”

And he says the Bombers handled the situation “phenomenally,” “erring on the side of caution” by keeping Willy from returning to the game."

How they got Matt Dunigan to lie, we'll never know.

"But I don't think that was the case with Drew. Talking to Drew, I have no question in my mind that he's 100% and ready to go.”

And he says the Bombers handled the situation “phenomenally,” “erring on the side of caution” by keeping Willy from returning to the game."

Wade probably gave him a free smoothie.

But Dunigan isn't a doctor so his opinion to some here is moo..

;)

;)

He's not a doctor, but has been extremely outspoken concerning concussions and the way they are treated. I highly doubt that Dunigan would ever speak this positively about Willy's injury if he had even the slightest doubt about it. True, he isn't a doctor, but he certainly has a lot of knowledge and experience with the subject. I think that it's pretty safe to say that Willy is just fine. The fact that he wasn't diagnosed with a concussion is great news.

;)

I have a beef with this posting- he's trying to cow us with a load of bull.

;)

I have a beef with this posting- he's trying to cow us with a load of bull.

I think the media is milking the situation for all it's worth.

Matty doesn't think Willy had a concussion, but no one's accusing him of being a doctor.  Friesen's not the antichrist today because his article says what folks around here want to hear. Good news all round.

Matty's like the rest of us.  A fan who has an opinion on what happened, just like everyone who knows Willy didn't have a concussion and everyone who knows he did.  Willy's the only one who actually knows.

Well I guess we'll see how he does tonight. Edmonton redeemed themselves with a blowout win last night. Can the bombers do the same? If they can't beat Montreal, being led by a raw rookie QB (whom we now have game film on) then, like here, it's going to be a summer of 'hockey' in Wpg and what the Jets do get better to be more successful in the playoffs. Offseason? What Offseason? 

Hey, in all seriousness, this game is HUGE for Wpg even though it's only the third game of the year. MOS is seeing 'progress' in practice but if we get blown out again then IMO things are going to get really ugly here really fast. 

Matty doesn't think Willy had a concussion, but no one's accusing him of being a doctor.  Friesen's not the antichrist today because his article says what folks around here want to hear. Good news all round.

Just like Friesen's previous article said what you wanted to hear, because it was negative.

Matty's like the rest of us.  A fan who has an opinion on what happened, just like everyone who knows Willy didn't have a concussion and everyone who knows he did.  Willy's the only one who actually knows.

Oh please, Dunigan is more than a fan. I think he knows a thing or two about hits to the head and QB mental awareness with his background.  I'd take his opinion with a little more credibility over anyone here. 

Oh please, Dunigan is more than a fan. I think he knows a thing or two about hits to the head and QB mental awareness with his background.  I'd take his opinion with a little more salt over anyone here. 

Just a quick note on that particular idiom: generally, the more salt, the less you trust.  So saying that you take his opinion with more salt means you trust his opinion less than others! 

Just like Friesen's previous article said what you wanted to hear, because it was negative.

It wasn't what I wanted to hear actually and I didn't bring it up even once, but don't let the facts get in the way of your hate.

Yes Matty's exactly like the rest of us. I know I enjoy spending the CFL offseason travelling around Canada lecturing in partnership with Charles Tator, my co-founder of ThinkFirst, which is a national concussion awareness group. Oh wait...that's not me that's Matty. I guess maybe his opinion on the matter should carry a little more weight than the average joe. Especially when it directly contradicts his own partner, Charles Tator.

Matty may not be a doctor, but his work over the past several years with ThinkFIrst and his close partnership with Tator, has to be considered as making him as close to an expert as one can get without a medical degree. Unless, of course, TB...you have spent hundreds of hours lecturing on the subject yourself?