Odds and Sods - Game 1 - Bombers at Riders

I'm just gonna say... Even with Durant i think the riders were gonna have a tough year, they lost so many guys this off-season, not just that but the depth on their roster is so weak it's crazy... Just last night, Demski went down, Emry went down,Mcdougall went down, They don't have the depth to replace these guys really. Glenn is a good insurance policy but... even with Glenn at the helm, it's going to be a long year for the riders due to their lack of depth. 

Apparently they started 8 canadians, well, 2 starters went down with injuries and one other canadian in demski went down with an injury too. It's gonna be a long year in "greenland". stupid rod black, welcome to greenland.. really buddy? You know some american is watching going the cfl has a team in greenland? 

I really like the Cotton Marshall combo, it truly is lightning and thunder there, cotton so shifty, so small he gets lost in there and those cuts he makes, wow man talk about breaking ankles and marshall, he's our goaline back, sask guys kept going for the big hits but he would bounce right off them, that one TD he had (woo hoo lock of the week ) was all effort there. Bouncing off tackles and just basically forcing and willing himself in to the endzone. 

I do have a little bit of a question or perhaps concern tho, and that was.. I'm not sure if it was just black messing up, it happens but.. bombers were like 2nd and 3 i think and they handed the ball off to pontbriand and got stuffed, might have been there only 2 and out all game, question is 1. was that pontbriand or did black just screw up and 2. if it was pontbriand, what the hell type of call was that? 

Just re-watched the game. The o-line just got stronger as the game went on. Sukh Chung is a rookie? He didn't take one holding call or jump once, and he was throwing great blocks. Chick burned Bryant only once all game. It's amazing how a good o-line can make such a huge difference. Now we just need Wild and Muamba back.

Here a short version... G B U

Good

Willy. How can you argue 22 of 25

Cotton. So shifty, unreal really

Marshall - what a find, goaline back really. so much will to score its crazy

Moore and Denmark - Both finished with the same amount of yards

I guess this one can go under Willy but.. he spread the ball around nicely really.. used almost everyone

Veltung- nice catch there in the first and a couple really good returns

The D stopping the riders when they had too

The Oline, looked a bit off at first but came together nicely... Gonna take a while for these guys to truly gel but.. when they fully do....

Special Teams coverage

The BAD

The D in the first half

Durants Injury - man that sucks for him

Bastien only being noticed when he went offside

Lirims 2 kicks out of bounds but he did have some nice ones also

The Ugly

TSN cutting to Heenan during the play

TSN cutting to a durant clip during the game

Just TSN in general really

TSN

Did i mention TSN and their obvious love of all things riders??

The rushing yards against us

The REALLY GOOD

Breaking the 11  year drought in regina. 

Watching TSN highlights you would swear we lost.

They love their Riders.

Pathetic.

CFL.ca has more balanced highlights of the game. TSN is a disgrace.

Tsn showed ONE play of ours. What a joke that channel is.

I refuse to insult TSN after having to watch the NHL draft on sportsnet. Nothing TSN can do will make me as sad as having to watch sportsnet

Watching TSN highlights you would swear we lost.

They love their Riders.

Pathetic.

CFL.ca has more balanced highlights of the game. TSN is a disgrace.

Tsn showed ONE play of ours. What a joke that channel is.

I refuse to insult TSN after having to watch the NHL draft on sportsnet. Nothing TSN can do will make me as sad as having to watch sportsnet

The NHL draft on sportsnet was awful, just so bad.. Really miss the TSN coverage for that one but... TSN was pretty bad with their coverage of the game yesterday. 

I thought the o-line was a hundred times better then it was last season. Funny how good the offense looks when you give your quarterback time to throw the ball and your running back a lane to run through. ;)

Agreed, I want to focus on Dom Picard because he sets the table for the line and brings some kind of nasty as evidenced by a second half touch down when he engaged Chick on a stunt and fired 2 punches to the ribs then just backed off after the score. Talent on the offensive line is upgraded but in the trenches you need to now when to take shots against the other team. This has been missing for a long time on this team and along with protecting Willy they have to show other teams that they will dominate the line of scrimmage.

before getting hurt, Demski looked outstanding. Hope he's ok.

Would have been nice to see our Canadians do a bit more on offence. 

Marcel is obviously a lot better offensive coordinator than some people have been saying. 

I thought the offensive play calling was fantastic. 

The players played well, but, he was calling the plays. And ( I hope) it Looks like Marcel and Drew have made a solid connection.

Any opinions on the blocking by the receivers? I thought Cotton was making most of his yardage after the line of scrimmage on his own.

just read

". Middle linebacker Shea Emry left with a suspected concussion"   - See more at: http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2015/06/28/murrays-musings-on-saturdays-30-26-loss-to-the-blue-bombers/#sthash.gyYegciH.dpuf

I'm re-watching the game now. I'm quite impressed with Bellefeuilles play calling.

Play calling was solid. One play I saw a million miles away was when we emptied the back field on second and long and it was the quarterback draw with Willy. Riders werent fooled. No one was! but besides that I thought the play calling was good. Great mix of run and pass.

I'm re-watching the game now. I'm quite impressed with Bellefeuilles play calling.

what stood out, rewatching the game?
I'm just at halftime now. Some good misdirection play calls on offense, especially on the goal line, one resulted in a TD. Nice mix of run and pass. Not as much reliance on the deep ball, compared to last year. Bryant just got burned on the only Riders sack. And seeing it again, that Demski play should have 100% been a saftey. Nice to see Willy moving around a bit more in the pocket.