Odds and Sods.....X2 Game, Hamilton at Winnipeg

And it turned out nice again.....at least weather wise....

Shades of bad ole days.....Bomber D scored on in 1st series....

Zach Collaros, RB Holly, and the rest of the Hamilton O, looked sharp....

....as they found enough holes in Bomber D...to fill the Albert Hall.....

Blue D played a ton of zone, not particularly well......

Denmark had a nice bomb from Willy.....

...but most of the night it was 5 yard hooks, curls and slants.....

Bombers need work on kick returns.....

Ditto short yardage situations......

Also avoiding dumb penalties ( Washington, Gibson, Bass)

Gibson did make some plays, though.....

...and K. Bass was working it pretty hard....

Bomber O and D schemes looked pretty....uh,

....OK, will avoid the overused word and call it, uh..inelaborate....

Long kick returns directly set up 10 Hamilton points....

Could of been worse.....

...the Cats stalled in red zone, on a couple drives and dropped 3 picks......

Cotton will start at RB....with perhaps Marshall...

MOS drags starting O, back on field to start 2nd half...

....another bad flashback....Willy blindsided on blitz....

....Drew was then nailed firmly to the bench, at that point...

Is there another team in football...as bad as Blue on screen passes?

Brohm throws a nice ball....but looks like a paint-by-numbers guy...

Portis seems to lack some touch on his throws...

J. Adams looks like a keeper at DB.....

JFG and Bastien look like an OK rotation at SB.......

Tigercat O certainly dropped off, when Collaros departed...

Hurl has more range, than I thought...at MLB...

Robert Marve helped his cause, tonight.....

Can't say the same for Brohm and Portis......

Marve does provide a change up and a different tempo.....

Willy got pretty pissed with Jhomo Gordon on a busted pattern...

M. Goossen has some attitude.......

Too bad Yantz didn't get in......

Not happy with tonight's result....

But back in the park, with gin in hand....

.....will do to go on with, for now...

I said last year to the chagrin of many here I wanted Collaros I think he is the next star. Still to early to tell and a pre season game against US doesn't mean a whole lot but still....

and nice to see you D o D -  I hope you can recap all the games this year :)

some people may not like Marves mechanics... but in the end he wins. He's a winner. I really hope that he stays #2 on the depth chart so that if Willy is 2nd half Willy this year we have an option to turn to,

Brohm is number 2 on the depth chart. Marve is 3.

ok i hope he wins the #2 job then

Brohm looks like one of those players who look like they ought to be able to break out into "starter status" any day now but never quite seem to do it. Marve looks like a QB who will win ugly but win and may well be uncoachable to look to pass first, then consider the run. If Marve didn't have bad knees, I would be a lot more comfortable in seeing him take off a dozen times or so every game. If the coaches can work him into a rolling pocket offense, he might be what we need if Willy doesn't evolve into a premier quarterback this year.

Regardless of whether its Marve, Portis or Brohm, none seem to have progressed into a pivot who could challenge Willy or replace him without losing a lot of team momentum, so I hope McManus and Co. are still beating the bushes.

Brohm looks like one of those players who look like they ought to be able to break out into "starter status" any day now but never quite seem to do it. Marve looks like a QB who will win ugly but win and may well be uncoachable to look to pass first, then consider the run. If Marve didn't have bad knees, I would be a lot more comfortable in seeing him take off a dozen times or so every game. If the coaches can work him into a rolling pocket offense, he might be what we need if Willy doesn't evolve into a premier quarterback this year.

Regardless of whether its Marve, Portis or Brohm, none seem to have progressed into a pivot who could challenge Willy or replace him without losing a lot of team momentum, so I hope McManus and Co. are still beating the bushes.

The problem of having a really good backup is that they won't want to stay a backup.   The paradox - find a guy good enough but not too good.  

Brohm is Willy without the accuracy.  MB doesn't have to change anything in the offensive plan if he has to use Brohm.  MB has to change a lot of things if he has to use Marve because he's a very different type of QB.

If true, that would be weak sauce on MB's part. 

One of the most effective backup situations, is when the #2 can throw defenses, a change up.  If Marcel could or would not "change a lot of things" simply because of different styles of QB (which many other teams have handled in the past)........then we need another OC, here.

Brohm is Willy without the accuracy. MB doesn't have to change anything in the offensive plan if he has to use Brohm. MB has to change a lot of things if he has to use Marve because he's a very different type of QB.

One of the most effective backup situations, is when the #2 can throw defenses, a change up. If Marcel could or would not "change a lot of things" simply because of different styles of QB (which many other teams have handled in the past)........then we need another OC, here.

Just because Marve is "#3" doesn't mean he can't come into games as a change of pace QB. I think we will see Marve more this season than the last.

Brohm is Willy without the accuracy. MB doesn't have to change anything in the offensive plan if he has to use Brohm. MB has to change a lot of things if he has to use Marve because he's a very different type of QB.

One of the most effective backup situations, is when the #2 can throw defenses, a change up. If Marcel could or would not "change a lot of things" simply because of different styles of QB (which many other teams have handled in the past)........then we need another OC, here.

Just because Marve is "#3" doesn't mean he can't come into games as a change of pace QB. I think we will see Marve more this season than the last.

Unless O'Shea has changed his mindset from last year the only way #3 gets game time is if #1 and #2 are knocked out. I don't see an indication that O'Shea has advanced his strategic thinking on this so I expect we will see the same plan this year. 

I agree with Atomic.

There is nothing stopping our game planning from throwing Marve into a game as a nice change of pace.

That move would provide another weapon to move the ball. It's been done before with success and it would be a giant boost for our offence.

Brohm is #2 so we don't have to change much of the O if Willy goes down, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Brohm is Willy without the accuracy.

Brohm gets no love around here. So he must've thrown for 10,000 inaccurate yards at Louisville. Ended up being nominated for a Heisman even though he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Was drafted 56th overall in the NFL draft because he was always overthrowing or underthrowing his receivers who always ran the perfect route and never dropped a catchable ball. What is it that you are seeing about Brohm's "accuracy" that the scouts and coaches at Green Bay and the Bills (and Danny McManus) missed?

And it turned out nice again.....at least weather wise....

Shades of bad ole days.....Bomber D scored on in 1st series....

Zach Collaros, RB Holly, and the rest of the Hamilton O, looked sharp....

....as they found enough holes in Bomber D...to fill the Albert Hall.....

Blue D played a ton of zone, not particularly well......

Denmark had a nice bomb from Willy.....

...but most of the night it was 5 yard hooks, curls and slants.....

Bombers need work on kick returns.....

Ditto short yardage situations......

Also avoiding dumb penalties ( Washington, Gibson, Bass)

Gibson did make some plays, though.....

...and K. Bass was working it pretty hard....

Bomber O and D schemes looked pretty....uh,

....OK, will avoid the overused word and call it, uh..inelaborate....

Long kick returns directly set up 10 Hamilton points....

Could of been worse.....

...the Cats stalled in red zone, on a couple drives and dropped 3 picks......

Cotton will start at RB....with perhaps Marshall...

MOS drags starting O, back on field to start 2nd half...

....another bad flashback....Willy blindsided on blitz....

....Drew was then nailed firmly to the bench, at that point...

Is there another team in football...as bad as Blue on screen passes?

Brohm throws a nice ball....but looks like a paint-by-numbers guy...

Portis seems to lack some touch on his throws...

J. Adams looks like a keeper at DB.....

JFG and Bastien look like an OK rotation at SB.......

Tigercat O certainly dropped off, when Collaros departed...

Hurl has more range, than I thought...at MLB...

Robert Marve helped his cause, tonight.....

Can't say the same for Brohm and Portis......

Marve does provide a change up and a different tempo.....

Willy got pretty pissed with Jhomo Gordon on a busted pattern...

M. Goossen has some attitude.......

Too bad Yantz didn't get in......

Not happy with tonight's result....

But back in the park, with gin in hand....

.....will do to go on with, for now...

Julian Feoli-Gudino made a beauty of a catch in traffic and then tore free and carried 2 defenders on his back for another 20 yards down field.

Kid sparked the team and the crowd with that energy and grit. Walters looking very smart to sign this kid to a 3-year extension.