Pre-season- Game 2 - HAM @ WPG

TrueBlue

No way.  LaPo is yards better then MB.  And what are you talking about?  Last year that's all MB did was have Willy throw short yardage when we needed 8+ yards.

Wrong on both counts.  Whenever Durant was not behind center, Lapolice's play calling stunk to high heaven and was unwatchable.  Unacceptable on all counts and if he was as good as people say he is, every single one of those 7 other teams would've been pounding on his door and blowing up his phone telling him he has a job as coach or OC after he got fired here.  That didn't happen and for good reason.

And trust me there were way more long balls thrown by our offense last year on 2nd and long than there had been in a while.  It was sometimes good, sometimes not good, sometimes Willy did need to check it down instead of trying for a home run like he did in the Banjo Bowl, or against BC in that final game last year.  But all in all, at least I can say this offense wasn't playing not to lose like that f***ing clown Lapo tried to instill here.

Oh ok, since you say I'm wrong I must be, given you know all.  :rolleyes:

And I never said LaPo was amazing, I said he's yards better then MB, which isn't saying much since MB sucks.  And yes, he does have them throw long too often, but he also has them throw too short when they need a nice 8 or 10 yards.  I remember yelling at the TV many times last year for him having them throw short yardage plays when they were 2nd and 8 or 10.

No way.  LaPo is yards better then MB.  And what are you talking about?  Last year that's all MB did was have Willy throw short yardage when we needed 8+ yards.

Wrong on both counts.  Whenever Durant was not behind center, Lapolice's play calling stunk to high heaven and was unwatchable.  Unacceptable on all counts and if he was as good as people say he is, every single one of those 7 other teams would've been pounding on his door and blowing up his phone telling him he has a job as coach or OC after he got fired here.  That didn't happen and for good reason.

And trust me there were way more long balls thrown by our offense last year on 2nd and long than there had been in a while.  It was sometimes good, sometimes not good, sometimes Willy did need to check it down instead of trying for a home run like he did in the Banjo Bowl, or against BC in that final game last year.  But all in all, at least I can say this offense wasn't playing not to lose like that f***ing clown Lapo tried to instill here.

I believe LaPo has turned down a few OC jobs as he only wants to be a HC.

Completely disagree with this

Lapo's conservativism and play not to lose mentality doesn't resonate well at all with anybody on other teams.

Do you think Jim Barker and Scott Milanovich would put up with that in Toronto?  Absolutely NOT

Would Jim Popp and Tom Higgins put up with that in Montreal?  Dinwiddie tried that last year and got demoted for it so NO.

Would Huggnagel put up with that in Calgary?  No f***in way.

Would Chris Jones and Ed Hervey put up with that in Edmonton?  If they did Steve McAdoo would not have a job there right now and would get dumped for Lapo immediately.

Wally Buono had the option to go after him as head coach when he dumped Benevides yet refused to do so, I wonder why?

The Ti-Cats?  I don't know but I doubt Bob Young is looking for anything new on O there.

You'd figure the Riders after dumping Cortez would be trying to take Lapo home after doing that, and why would Lapo turn down a chance to return as OC to the place he had the most success in?  Very strange indeed.

Only team I could see putting up with Lapo's tactics is Ottawa given that they rolled with a similar guy in Gibson last year.

Bottom line, this silly belief that Lapo is a hot commodity has no water in it.  PERIOD!!!

Lapo's conservativism and play not to lose mentality doesn't resonate well at all with anybody on other teams.

Do you think Jim Barker and Scott Milanovich would put up with that in Toronto?  Absolutely NOT

Would Jim Popp and Tom Higgins put up with that in Montreal?  Dinwiddie tried that last year and got demoted for it so NO.

Would Chris Jones and Ed Hervey put up with that in Edmonton?  If they did Steve McAdoo would not have a job there right now and would get dumped for Lapo immediately.

Wally Buono had the option to go after him as head coach when he dumped Benevides yet refused to do so, I wonder why?

The Ti-Cats?  I don't know but I doubt Bob Young is looking for anything new on O there.

You'd figure the Riders after dumping Cortez would be trying to take Lapo home after doing that, and why would Lapo turn down a chance to return as OC to the place he had the most success in?  Very strange indeed.

Only team I could see putting up with Lapo's tactics is Ottawa given that they rolled with a similar guy in Gibson last year.

Bottom line, this silly belief that Lapo is a hot commodity has no water in it.  PERIOD!!!

I think you are projecting your own thoughts on Lapo onto the rest of the league.  You really don't know how Lapos resume resonates with the rest of the league.

Here are just a few of the articles and Tweets over the last 2 - 3 years that have mentioned Lapo.  Usually where there is smoke there is fire.

http://www.news1130.com/2013/12/11/lions-to-interview-khari-jones-for-oc-position/

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/can-saskatchewan-s-money-get-paul-lapolice-to-replace-george-cortez-as-offensive-coordinator-195610644.html

www.twitter.com/herbzurkowsky1/status/405386313177628672

Sorry, but how can you claim to know what any of those people think? That's just ridiculous and holds no water. PERIOD!!!

I think fans fall into the trap of vilifying every ex-coach. Even extends to management, where you can see reporters still blaming Joe Mack for things.

I really liked LaPolice. He had his faults, like most coaches, but he also did some really positive things here. It didn't consistently lead to on field success so that hurts his reputation, but he also survived with a roster that wasn't always strong.

I was never a huge fan of Bellefuille's but think he gets too much blame around here - at least for now. Last year his starting receivers included Aaron Kelly and Romby Bryant and he had Nic Grigsby at running back. Oh, and an offensive line that was better suited for flag football. I'm not going to completely absolve him of blame because perhaps he could have argued for changes earlier (hello Paris Cotton) but as a coordinator you're going to work with the players you've got. 

I think next to QB the offensive coordinator will take the most blame from fans, because when plays don't work its easiest to say "I would have called something different."

I wasn't at the game and was able to listen to only the second and third quarters, but it sounded like the glowing optimism many of us had going into training camp may be a bit premature. Granted that these were both pre-season games with a lot of sorting out to do, but it looks like our receivers are not going to be as good as hoped and the defence is going to take both tweaking and time to get up to speed. I'm thinking that the first 3 or 4 games are going to a struggle for the Bombers, so lets not get too down on the team just yet.

i thought a general consensus among fans was we did the majority of what was needed bring in experienced ballers, and tweak it with some new blood via scouting but they would need a few real games to gel cuz many of these guys never played with each other before.  I might be over stating the opinion of the Oline with this but I dont think its too far off to think the team we see week 1 will likely be a better team come week 3 or 4

Those too-short passes on 2nd down are frustrating, but how do we know that it's the OC's fault and not the QB's? A lot of them I remember as checkdown plays to the safety valve receiver, who isn't going to have a ton of blocking help. They're not plays where the first read is the short pass.

It's not like the OC has an Xbox controller wired to the QB's brain. The QB gets to make choices too.

We have brought in some guys, who seem to have "potential".....but in a very limited window/small sample size....we just don't know yet..... which ones can/will become "proven"  Despite, what should be some improved areas....this team is definitely a work in progress.....  

Weird debate...  MB starts the season the season with a nice mix of plays and then retreats to Lapo/Barresi playcalling halfway thru...  they're the same gameplan by season's end

Scary part is that Richie Hall is the Lapo of DCs

Those too-short passes on 2nd down are frustrating, but how do we know that it's the OC's fault and not the QB's? A lot of them I remember as checkdown plays to the safety valve receiver, who isn't going to have a ton of blocking help. They're not designed plays where the first read is the short pass.

It's not like the OC has an Xbox controller wired to the QB's brain. The QB gets to make choices too.

I don't necessarily disagree about this.  You could make case that Willy may have the opposite problem at times when he appears to try and wait for a play to develop downfield as opposed to taking the shorter option and sometimes pays for it with a sack.  We know this.

However this throw short of the sticks on 2nd and long seemed to be a thing that all our QBs ffrom Jyles, Pierce, Brink, and Elliot all did and all while Lapo was coaching.  Sometimes it may have been appropriate if the team was in bad field position and needed to get just enough room to get out of their own EZ 1st down or not, but it often ended up becoming too much of an ultraconservative mantra that this team embodied and never got fixed.  Elliot later on would sometimes piss the coaches off for attempting to chuck more balls deep in the EZ when they didn't want that, but all in all, r2p was the motto here.

You know what was the single biggest thing that scared me last night? This is one of the first times I can remember a MOS team looking totally flat and having no energy. At no point in that game last night did I feel like we were in it, or had a chance. Hamilton dictated play and it felt like we were just out there going through motions. That's not the MOS way and I don't care to see it ever again.

There are a number of variables....in having short pass plays in front of the marker:

How well your scheme clears out the target area - have you already stretched the field, somewhat?

Ability of the receiver to get open, find the marker, and break tackles

Ability of other receivers to block down the field

QB's ability to look off defenders/read the zone

The timing of the pass  - how fast does it get there/ hits him in stride? 

Play action/roll out?

Bombers have struggled with some of these facets, for some YEARS, now......under a number of coaches

btw, sort of fits in with the total bloody ineptitude of this team.... to execute a (@#%#$&* screen pass.

You know what was the single biggest thing that scared me last night? This is one of the first times I can remember a MOS team looking totally flat and having no energy. At no point in that game last night did I feel like we were in it, or had a chance. Hamilton dictated play and it felt like we were just out there going through motions. That's not the MOS way and I don't care to see it ever again.

Yup, sort of like guys were just looking/waiting around for a big hit, great catch or whatever.......by somebody else..

Weird debate...  MB starts the season the season with a nice mix of plays and then retreats to Lapo/Barresi playcalling halfway thru...  they're the same gameplan by season's end

Scary part is that Richie Hall is the Lapo of DCs

Not sure what you mean by this.  If you're essentially saying we're not going to be seeing hardly any blitzes or tactical pressure packages, I somehow don't think that's true.  Course he may have a preference for wanting most pressure to come from the front four and if you're strong up front, that can really put you at an advantage like it did for us in 2011.  If you don't have that, well yes you generally will get screwed without blitzing.  I still think that's a bit better than some of etch's crazy packages that end up getting you burned in the running game and end up giving up too much yardage in the long run.

Calming words from the mouth of Bob Irving:

The Bombers had three goals going into Friday's game.

Win, which they failed to do.

Evaluate, which for sure they were able to do.

And come out of the game healthy. It looks like they suffered one significant injury as rookie running back Carlos Anderson suffered a knee injury that head coach Mike O'Shea said "doesn't look good".

So from those three points of view, it wasn't a very good night for the Bombers. However, I will go back to my original point - it's a mistake to read too much into a pre-season game. And so, let's wait until we see what happens in next Saturday's regular season opener in Regina before we draw any conclusions on where this 2015 edition of the Bombers is headed.

The Bombers have laid some pretty big eggs at IGF, must drive Miller crazy.

It's been sad before but needs repeating cuz some don't get it still. The preseason means nothing. It's about evaluations. Let's see what happens now and who steps up. We got some new talent in adams bass Westerman even and Darrell Johnson who might surprise some people. Veltung even. Not to mention couple PR guys in freeman and Gordon who have potential too.

At this point, it looks like there was not as much talent among the newcomers as I had hoped, so that falls at the feet of the scouting staff. I was really hoping for a dominating receiver and a homicidal linebacker or two.

Have you seen any of those anywhere in the league yet?

Real games haven't started.

Toronto's new starter quarterback looked really good. So did a couple of Edmonton's quarterbacks.