Pre-season- Game 2 - HAM @ WPG

TrueBlue

Probably cuz he was a cfl rookie last year. Really the most silly thing to do would be to make a rookie with no cfl experience back up in his first year. That's how careers are ruined.

Marve and willy have similar numbers but Marve is the only bright spot? Unreal.

Marve's accomplishments occurred with under 6 minutes of playing time. Willy played an entire half + the first series of the third.

Marve also played against a defense who was very obviously playing to prevent anything big and left the entire intermediate portion of the field wide open.

Not to sensationalize things, but Marve was essentially 0/3 on throws he actually had to earn. He played well, but that performance didn't inspire much more confidence in him than I already had - a moderate amount.

Agreed, just pissed off that they relegated him to that portion of the game.  Reeks of Max Hall before he was cut.

all i got from the game was,  #1 underwood for the ticats has awesome hair - kid and play worthy, the bomber cheerleaders are so much hotter then i can remember in recent memory.  if anyone knows the guy who wears a gold Johnson jersey section 107 row 1, seat 6,  he was pretty funny talkin smack to the ticats players,  he came to rock and i salute him

If the Bombers ever had to come from behind, could you even imagine Brohm leading them to a touchdown, never mind a victory? At least with Marve they'd have a shot at a comeback and likely be very entertaining in the process.

Has Brohm ever produced a CFL TD?  I can't recall one.

They also had Marve running the goal line package with the first team. Really can't see them cutting him.

And if that's a sign of things to come, I'll be the guy arrested for running out onto the field to slap Bellefeuile around week 3.

If the Bombers ever had to come from behind, could you even imagine Brohm leading them to a touchdown, never mind a victory? At least with Marve they'd have a shot at a comeback and likely be very entertaining in the process.

Has Brohm ever produced a CFL TD?  I can't recall one.

I asked the same thing last week and someone replied that he had led the Bombers to one touchdown in a game last year.

Re: defence - Dline ran no stunts, LBs did little that could be called blitzing.  Collaros demonstrated that he's faster than our Dlinemen.  I already knew that about him.  He played to his strengths and we did nothing to disrupt that.  He looked good.  I don't consider what happened today as an indicator that we aren't capable of disrupting him.  Although that's also possible.

I was at the game and didn't hear the play-by-pay or commentary after. Here's what I saw:

Overall I was disappointed and expected more from all 3 phases out of this team. Whole thing kind of reminded me a lot of last year.

We have tightened up our run defence though and Winnipeg's QBs all had pretty fair to good protection from the new offensive line.

Washington didn't have a very good game and T Gibson took a very undisciplined penalty against Collaros. Johnny Adams looked pretty good but not outstanding.

Kahlil Bass had his nose in a lot of plays, Hurl looks to me like he is always in pursuit - i.e. behind the play.

But he was there on a couple of run stops. Derek Jones and Graig Newman I liked. Did not see Waggoner at all. #14 Freeman was mostly good given the short time he's been here.

Not much push from the D line - but it appears Westerman is just getting warmed up.

It was the backup O line - Tyler Griffiths Goosen Chungh Lewis that made holes for Cotton on that TD drive.

Tommy Condell called a good game for the Ti-Cats O - who look much further ahead than Winnipeg's O.

Willy brings no tempo to the game and failed to pick up the blitz both times he was sacked. I am not buying a Willy jersey yet. I liked JFG and Bastien, Denmark and Moore. The rest of the receivers, not so much.

Good to see Willy running a no-huddle and his pass to Denmark gives cause for hope. They should run the no-huddle all the time, bring much-needed tempo to the offence.

Marve is very exciting to watch, does things with his legs, and makes things happen. He could be good for certain situations. Portis looks like a very laid back guy, is he from California? I felt badly for Yantz who didn't get to play.

I am still a Brohm fan. Will we pick up a tailback from other teams cuts? Marshall is a bruiser but doesn't look fast enough. Anderson went down in a heap at practice the other day too - and so without knowing anything about his injury, although he shows promise - is he durable? Placekick and ST kick coverage pretty dubious, to be honest.

Stanley Bryant looked like he was playing his first CFL game.  Only a couple sacks, but Willy took about 4 full throttle shots.  Lots of miscommunication on the left side of that offensive line.  That's my biggest concern headed into the season.  

Punt returns look like they are going to be an adventure to start the season.  

Rule changes having little effect beyond the convert, which is still stupid IMO.  Once a few teams lose games on PAT's, the conversation around that rules committee table will change.  The punt change is meaningless because other than the snapper the rest of the guys on the line have always stayed in until the ball is gone.  Teams are adding extra guys on the outside of the 5 who have to stay to counteract.  The no contact beyond 5 yards on pass plays is not being enforced anywhere near the way it was touted.

Marve is looking good cuz he makes things happen with his legs....Willy can, but hesitates and would rather find his guy on short passing routes...I dunno...I've been watching football (and playing a little in my time)and see two very different qbs. behind centre...The guy with the torn up knees seems to be producing while the guy with the big contract, seems to need some fire and get the hell out of the pocket more often...I know it's pre season and all of that crap but jeez..I expect my no 1 guy to be looking like a no 1 and not be labouring and hovering not too far off the no 2. guy...Marve is a keeper and anyone thinking we should tie a can to him better get their heads examined...Jury is still out on Willy as far as I'm concerned, and until he starts looking like the qb. we thought we signed ...welllll I just have to look at what Collaros did tonight with a bunch of second stringers and I start to wonder.?????

My biggest concern on the Defence, was lack of tackling. The rest of it, it was fairly obvious they were playing soft zone coverage. Not much being shown.

On O, Willy looked good for the first few drives, a few hick-ups but nothing serious. Anyone who thinks Marve out played Willy, wasn't paying attention as far as I'm concerned. That first drive was impressive. As the game wore on, the offence got more and more vanilla. I don't get hating on willy for not doing anything, but then saying Moore was impressive....??? Moore litteraly ran 5 yard hooks all night lol. If that doesn't tell you our offence wasn't showing anything. I'm not sure what will.

Special teams, again, lack of tackling. Hopefully it gets cleared up.  

Drew Willy - 11-17  fpr 142 yards, no TDs but also no interceptions.

Robert Marve - 11-16 for 115 yards, 42 rushing yards, no TDs but also no interceptions

all the rest ... well Brohm was a little shaky.

But I'm not worried about the O.  The D seems to be our problem, sure hope Hall can get it fixed and his success in SSK wasn't based on the players alone and untied to the scheme.

I like Drew Willy, I wish he had a bit more zip on the ball. O'line looked good in the first half, the one sack in the second sure looked off side to me, but the back-up L tackle didn't adjust and both left side guys took the same guy, leaving our QB exposed.

Marve looked good, and so did Portis, Brohm in and out pretty quick. For a guy with a knee brace man can Marve run.

Here's some of my thoughts from being at the game last night. Marve brings excitement and flair to the game. Would be a great change of pace when Willy is struggling. I thought Jhomo Gordon looked pretty impressive for such a young kid. Returning punts, kick offs and a nice catch or two. Just needs some more time to learn to run sharper routes. Addison Richards looked horrible in the couple of balls thrown his way, Tayman is probably choking on his Subway laughing so hard at us with our "revenge" pick. This didn't look like a team ready for the play offs and a Grey Cup appearance, let's hope the other teams are as slow in their development too.

A few quick thoughts from the game last night:

I liked Adams, Marshall, Chungh, Willy and Marve. I thought Chungh played well, although the right side of the line had trouble in the second half. I know we like to draft and develop, but I think Chungh has played well enough to get a chance to start next week. Goosen played well at centre in the second half, if Picard gets hurt I think we'll be fine there. 

Marshall is a big body with great speed, I'm liking that for sure. Scary when our two running backs go down early in the game. Was glad to see Cotton back out there.

Adams made lots of plays, he was impressive IMO.

Didn't mind Hurl at MLB.

Marve and Portis were fine, I think Brohm may be gone.

Our defence couldn't tackle anything in the second half, that's a big concern for me. Hell they didn't do much tackling in the first half either!!

We had a 3rd kicker there last night, wore #74. Who's he?? Santella didn't get much of a look, with his passport I think he needed to do way more than that. Chad Remple the long snapper is money.

Hajrullahu punted great, missed the convert and a field goal, better play better than that if he wants to make the NFL!!

Somebody won $35K on the 50/50 last night, wished it was me.

sounds like defence is the concern for most people.

"Not much push from the D line

Listened on the radio, didn't hear  any instance of pressure  on Hamilton Q.B., and after the game one of the starting D lineman said they were not happy with the way the defence played.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lack of pressure, none whatsoever, has nothing  to do with running a vanilla defence. 

Maybe it takes more than a year and a half to rebuild a complete team, from a shambles.

Seems like the O line has been rebuilt. Now the D line/linebackers.

Listened on the radio, didn't hear  any instance of pressure  on Hamilton Q.B., and after the game one of the starting D lineman said they were not happy with the way the defence played.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lack of pressure, none whatsoever, has nothing  to do with running a vanilla defence. 

I didn't get to watch or listen to the game, so I can't speak to last night's game. To your overall point though, I definitely think a vanilla defense can lead to lack of pressure. If you're not masking what you're doing or throwing new things at an offense, its going to be a lot easier for them to find the holes in the play call. Maybe its easier for them to identify where the blitz is, or that you're just in base man coverage. Simpler coverage means less "coverage sacks" and easier (and often faster) reads. 

Edit: "and often faster"

Wish I could have seen the game, but from listening on the radio....

Our starting defence was getting soundly beaten by Hamilton's starting offense.

Our starting offence sounded a lot like it did last year.  Not much going for it except a couple of big plays.

Our special teams were horrible.  Missed a FG and a convert and gave up a lot of return yards.

The new receivers, who were doing really well against our DB's in TC didn't do well against Hamilton's DB's.

Willy's our starter.  Brohm and Portis didn't do much.  Marve added a spark that the others simply don't have.

I expected our O to be better against Hamilton's D because Hammy left half of their starters at home.

All teams run vanilla in preseason.  Our vanilla shouldn't be worse than other teams vanilla.

I didn't get to watch or listen to the game, so I can't speak to last night's game. To your overall point though, I definitely think a vanilla defense can lead to lack of pressure. If you're not masking what you're doing or throwing new things at an offense, its going to be a lot easier for them to find the holes in the play call. Maybe its easier for them to identify where the blitz is, or that you're just in base man coverage. Simpler coverage means less "coverage sacks" and easier (and often easier) reads. 

thanks, makes sense, please ignore immediately prior post which I will now delete.