It's time for the Riders to start sucking ...

IC Khari

@CFL_News: #CFL insiders say: @PaulLaPolice will be #Riders coach before Labour Day. via @PentonKirk

a guy behind me at McMahon was talking about this. I hadn't heard the rumour yet, but apparently Lapo's been contacted and told to sit tight....barring a monster comeback by the Riders on the season, Lapo's packing his bags...

LaPo's lost his mind if he willingly leaves his job at TSN to step into that hornets nest.

Maybe he's attracted by the concept of leading a team that only loses every game by three points. I've never seen a coach better at that then Lapo.

Chamblins job with the riders is safe for this year. The earliest they would change is at seasons end. No coach could do any better here (Saskatchewan) with all the inuries riders have now.

He keeps throwing people under the bus, alienating fans and losing and he will be gone by mid-season.

Chamblins job with the riders is safe for this year. The earliest they would change is at seasons end. No coach could do any better here (Saskatchewan) with all the inuries riders have now.

He keeps throwing people under the bus, alienating fans and losing and he will be gone by mid-season.

Don't forget assistant coaches. How many position coaches  & coordinators has he pointed the finger at & canned since he became HC in Saskatchewan?? Never his fault. It's always his assistants & the players. They... just... don't ...get ... it... right... dammit. I'm sure there'd be a few chuckles from coaches around the league that used to work for him if Chamblin got what he did to those guys. They'd never say it publicly but you know how they'd feel. 

If I'm Lapo is keep the TSN gig. He could do that for several years. Coaching the Riders, he'll be fired in a couple years and no guarantee the TSN gig will still be there for him when that happens. He makes good coin working 2-3 days a week, for half a year with TSN.

Rider fans are funny people... No way should Durant be traded. Chamblin should not get tanked...the team has a lot of injuries and clearly the issues is on Defense and they could use some help with the secondary.

It's long season and they still have lots of time to catch up.

Also neither are greatest fans...

If you want bad fans go to Ontario...

you obviously have no idea what sort of fans we have.

The two of them aren't all that bad....

I hope this train wreck keeps going on to prove how "loyal" rider pride Is. I remember going to labour day in 2011 and a buddy of mine who had never been was shocked at how few rider fans were around. The bar was 95% bomber fans, there were a hand full of people actually wearing rider gear. It was awesome. It will happen again.

That's kind of odd considering the Riders sold around 25k season tickets that year that so many bomber fans were there isn't it? You guys can laugh at how bad we are all you want but even this year there are 26700 season tickets sold so the myth that any team will ever outnumber our fans in our stadium is simply that,

I hope this train wreck keeps going on to prove how "loyal" rider pride Is. I remember going to labour day in 2011 and a buddy of mine who had never been was shocked at how few rider fans were around. The bar was 95% bomber fans, there were a hand full of people actually wearing rider gear. It was awesome. It will happen again.

That's kind of odd considering the Riders sold around 25k season tickets that year that so many bomber fans were there isn't it? You guys can laugh at how bad we are all you want but even this year there are 26700 season tickets sold so the myth that any team will ever outnumber our fans in our stadium is simply that,

Frigging Migs. You're a joke,man. You have no life.

Ripper is not Migs. I'm pretty sure, because he's not banned from riderfans and Migs has made other alternate accounts that have.

Gotta be really careful though, Ripper. Pro-Rider comments don't get good reception here.

Your pretty sure, LOL, we that makes me feel better. For anyone interested, I've posted under same name at riderfans for since 2006. Also Migs  m.o. is to defend the rider management at all costs. For those of you that post over at Riderfans, you'll know I'm more the critic than the koolaid drinker.

Ripper, I find both your commentaries and inputs to the forum to be respectful. You are  in enemy territory and conduct yourself well. The difference between you and Migs is night and day. I can appreciate that you will defend your team and fan base, that is to be expected. Just as Trapper and Jayrock have become great contributors to the other Bomber forum (gawd....I hope they don't read this), it is nice to get other fan bases involved in the mix at our forums. I read your commentary often at Riderfans and know you are no Rider shill. Just a passionate Rider fan. Nothing wrong with that. Not my favorite team....but some people like bologna better than Filet Mignon. Whose to say they are wrong.

If I'm Lapo is keep the TSN gig. He could do that for several years. Coaching the Riders, he'll be fired in a couple years and no guarantee the TSN gig will still be there for him when that happens. He makes good coin working 2-3 days a week, for half a year with TSN.

I agree he has a pretty good gig with TSN, but who knows, if offered a job he may very well accept. I would imaging that football is in his blood and maybe he misses being a coach? Hard to say if that would improve things or not. Obviously injuries are a huge issue for the Riders now, and I know that all the teams are playing through with injuries, however right now the Riders are REALLY banged up. I think that a couple of bad coaching decisions did in fact cost the Riders a couple of wins, however, mistakes made on the field bu the players put them in a position to lose 2 games that they should have won. So having said all that, are the players still inspired by Chamblin? Would Lapo be a spark that turns this team around? Tough to say. I really do believe that we need someone else to run the defense though. The defense has cost us our losses IMO. Glenn has exceeded most expectations and is doing alright, except for those timely and costly int's lol and the offense is fine, but at the end of the day 0-4 is 0-4! I'll still be at the games including the Labour Day and Banjo Bowl. Hope to have some drinks with you bastages and have a good time!

I think Lapo would take it. There were plenty of reports when Lapo turned down OC jobs that he did so because he only wants to be a HC.

@CFL_News: #CFL insiders say: @PaulLaPolice will be #Riders coach before Labour Day. via @PentonKirk

I thought I had also read (possibly from @CFL_News) if that were the case expect Jeremy O'Day to be the GM also...

That one doesn't make sense to me. Would O'Day want Lapo as HC if he took over as GM? It makes sense that Taman would bring him in considering their relationship.

Whats the sudden man-love for Lapo as an HC ? He had one shot at it and looked way in over his head. What's changed ?

Not it love with LaPo, but always thought he took a lot more heat than deserved for the Bombers' failures. He inherited an absolute mess from Mike Kelly, who ran both Doug Berry and Brendan Taman out of town and then dismantled the team and its reputation with his antics. Has a tough first year with a record number of close losses, and has the wherewithal to recognize his biggest failing as a coach, which is self-admitted micromanagement. Improves in that area next year, and really thanks to the fact that Buck Pierce actually stayed healthy gets to the Grey Cup. Then is forced to start 4 in a row on the road and loses his QB again, and is starting to claw back at 2-6 when he gets blind-sided by Mack. Everyone who blamed LaPo rejoices for about a week until the next game, when 52-0 in Saskatchewan highlights that the problem wasn't the coach, it was his boss and how the team was (so very poorly) built. But too many on the boards had invested their credibility in praising mighty Joe in the wake of Mike Kelly's poor showing, so they bought into the "LaPo as incompetent" theory and began repeating it ad nauseum to deflect from their misguided assessment of Joe Mack's uselessness.

Lapo was also the biggest ***** of a coach I've ever seen. The man played not to lose rather than playing to win. Lots of close games sure but they never really took the chances needed to win.

It's his high profile job on TSN that makes people think he's a good HC, when he really isn't.

Lapo was also the biggest ***** of a coach I've ever seen. The man played not to lose rather than playing to win. Lots of close games sure but they never really took the chances needed to win.

It's his high profile job on TSN that makes people think he's a good HC, when he really isn't.

And it was his clueless GM and lack of a back-up QB that makes people think he's an awful HC, when he really isn't. Good players make good coaches.

I just remember LaPo having problems managing the clock & making decisions that cost us games. Perhaps being away from the sidelines for a couple of years may have taught him a few things as to how to handle pressure. Was he a great coach? No, but then again he didn't have a lot of time to become one.

That I'll agree with completely. And he admitted that in his first year he was too wrapped up in trying to manage all of the coaches and their schemes on the sidelines during games and not reacting to the flow of the game itself, hence the time count and other situational errors. He acknowledged in assessing his work after year one that he needed to trust his assistants more and be "in the game" as a head coach, but he was still learning this new role, as he had been a career assistant before Winnipeg. I think he took great strides after that first year, and is probably better suited to the role required of a head coach now after some time away to reflect on it from afar. Don't think he is Trestman or Buono-esque by any stretch, but he can be decently competent if given another chance.

LAPO has a great understanding of the game and have been and OC for a long time in the leauge.. He knows the CFL very well.

JOE mack was Garbage and built a garbage team that was only slightly better then the Mike Kelly Team.   

I think lapo should have been kept around and Mack should have been replaced by Walters earlier.. I think if Lapo had our current roster he would be doing as good if not better then what we have seen last year under oshea and in his rookie year.

I like Oshea though so its no slight against him. The team needs to get better over the season and needs to make the playoffs.. Then Oshea can have another few years to make the team a contender.

The main issue i see is that each year we have a new core coach on oc/ or dc or HC.  this needs to stop.  but it can only stop if we win :) 

And it was his clueless GM and lack of a back-up QB that makes people think he's an awful HC, when he really isn't. Good players make good coaches.

In his first year with the team Lapo had Pierce and Jyles as his #1 and #2 qbs. Both experienced CFL players and well suited to their respective roles. The backup qb issue was more when Tim Burke was in charge and perhaps if he hadn't taken an irrational dislike to Joey Elliott the problems wouldn't have been so bad. 

In his first year with the team Lapo had Pierce and Jyles as his #1 and #2 qbs. Both experienced CFL players and well suited to their respective roles. The backup qb issue was more when Tim Burke was in charge and perhaps if he hadn't taken an irrational dislike to Joey Elliott the problems wouldn't have been so bad.
Yes Joey Elliott would have saved the team. That's why he is the franchise qb for what team again?

Whats the sudden man-love for Lapo as an HC ? He had one shot at it and looked way in over his head. What's changed ?

bill belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin **** Vermeil, Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden all better coaches the 2nd time around

Bill wash did say this "A good part of (succeeding) is experience and understanding the so-called dynamics between

ownership, managment  and coaching and the media, and I think that exposure and experience certainly serves somebody very well,”

Reassuring..... to find out that what I though were endemic problems, during Lapo's tenure, like:

Brutally slow starts

Penalties galore

Lack of adjustments

Uber-conservative game planning

Clock management issues

Culture of lack of accountablity/excuses  (from players)

Were merely figments of my imagination......

So, I assume that Lapo, like Taman, or for that matter Burke...... was merely another sort of helpless "victim", or something?   Paul should simply stay out another year, and attain all-star coaching status......

Lapo at least showed potential as a HC. More than we could say about a number of the others who have held the position over the past 20 years.

bill belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin **** Vermeil, Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden all better coaches the 2nd time around

Bill wash did say this "A good part of (succeeding) is experience and understanding the so-called dynamics between

ownership, managment  and coaching and the media, and I think that exposure and experience certainly serves somebody very well,”

That, exactly.