TC Report: Day One

Jpan85

Ryan Reaves was there today. He was with his family and I assume family friends. Reaves mom is the white lady sitting in front of Ryan.  I remember her from youth football she does not like to be around Williard during games even when Williard was coaching. Ryan Reaves is not that big. I think Jordan is in better shape. Ryan is a lot wider. Williard does not want to be bothered. He is way off to the side.

For the people to say lavaier tuinei had an up and down day, uh what? He and Adams-Childs were by far the best WR's. All 3 of those guys can start and play on any CFL team. Just do they fit in with the offense and 

i'm worried about what Marcel B brings to our offense and his decisions. I think its obvious that we have depth all over for the first time in a long time.

For the people to say lavaier tuinei had an up and down day, uh what? He and Adams-Childs were by far the best WR's. All 3 of those guys can start and play on any CFL team. Just do they fit in with the offense and

i'm worried about what Marcel B brings to our offense and his decisions. I think its obvious that we have depth all over for the first time in a long time.

Tuinei had at least one drop. I agree 100% on Adams, he looked very polished. Childs didn't do anything to stand out to me, and I believe he also had a drop. Willie also had some nice catches but a drop or two.

I think Penton has some stuff on the Periscope app.

And thanks for the updates.

Grande....now how would one hypothetically view this "stuff"?

You have to download the Periscope app to your tablet or smart phone. I called it "stuff" because I don't know what he's uploaded other than something about Markus Howell being fired up for TC.

I was super impressed with Adams today. Moore and Denmark looked very good as well. Tuinei was very good in the drills and as previously mentioned, knocked the crap out of Teague when he tried to jam him. Childs did not look as good as these four I thought but someone I really liked, especially in the drills was Mike Willie. Really good technique and also blew up Unamba on a jam, though less heralded and admittedly less powerful than Tuinei's. They didn't go to him a ton in the scrimmage but loved what I saw early on. I don't anticipate a lot of success from Millington but today he made a few really nice grabs. One of the sideline against Randle was especially nice. 

To be honest, I only saw a few drops all day. Childs had one and Reeves had one but at the very least this is a FAR better group of receivers than last year, when I was getting excited about an admittedly average looking Mario Urrutia. 

I mostly watched DBs, QBs and receivers for obvious reasons but I would like to show Cam Marshall some love. He looks to have the tools of a RB1. Loved what Cotton brought last year but hope Marshall gives him all he can handle.

Johnny Adams deserves the love he's been getting so I don't need to give any additional details on him. Seems like the real deal but super early. Still, as good as Adams looked, Shaq Richardson was probably even better. He also looks a ton like Johnny Sears wearing number 0 and having a similar hairstyle. He blanketed everyone he was covering. I noticed Dominique Franks and Dominique Wright with nice coverage as well as Derek Jones.

Stoudemire got beat BAD deep a few times by I believe Jhomo Gordon, who is very under the radar but looks very impressive as well. This is a very deep crop of receivers. I am not sold on Stoudemire as anything other than a returner but that's just fine with me if he continues to shine in that position. 

Randle has such amazing closing speed it's a treat to watch. He got beat off the line by JFG who went deep on a post. When the ball was thrown, Randle was a good 7 yards behind him and he still made a play to break it up. 

Unamba was by far the worst DB out there today, to me at least. Aside from being knocked over by Willie, on a separate 1-on-1, Willie juked him out of his shorts. Was never a huge fan of Unamba aside from on teams and this was a rough day for him.

The QBs were hot and cold. Brohm was likely the worst and Willy certainly did not look great out there. Both had quite a few overthrows. 

I know Portis is judged on a different scale than Willy but love the zip on his throws. He absolutely fired one to a RB (didn't catch the number) about 4 yards in front of him and there was just no touch on it whatsoever. On the other hand, he was dropping long bombs placed beautifully all morning. I remember at least one to Gordon, one to Denmark and one to Veltung which was dropped. The thing I like most about Portis is while he seems like the prototypical CFL project QB, I believe this is now his third year in the league so he's had an appropriate amount of seasoning. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the roster.

It is a pleasure to watch Robert Marve throw the football. I don't have much more to say about him other than that but no one can deny the ability of his arm. 

Also, as expected Yantz did not look out of place. 

I also thought it was super classy of the team to come see the fans after practice to thank them. Perhaps it looks a bit corny but it was a nice touch. Wade was also going from person to person on the sidelines chatting them up. Asking the kids if they played football. Sort of insulted he didn't ask the same thing of me, but I digress.

It was also funny that there were only two port-a-potties outside the main entrance for both fans and players. Walking into practice seeing Darvin Adams and Demond Washington waiting in line with fans to use the toilet was a real treat.

The QBs were hot and cold. Brohm was likely the worst and Willy certainly did not look great out there. Both had quite a few overthrows. 

I keep seeing tweets and posts about how Willy looked good today. Were saying he was 9/9 in scrimmage. 

It never ends does it?

I mean the waiting.

First, it was the end of season and we were waiting for who the Bombers were going to release.

Then, we were waiting to see whom Walters could extend under the 2014 Salary Cap.

Year end brought us closer to Free Agency expectations as to who we were going to keep and who we were going to go after.

Next...Free Agency. That was a blast.

Free agent camps, mini-camps..Rookie mini-camps. Wait.

All the hoopla leading up to the draft, and the wait.

Then, the actual picks and the discussion about them.

Rookie Camp and all the new guys.

Finally a training Camp arrives and Day 1 is over.

And what can't I wait for now?

Frickin' Day 2

It's a wait I have to bear...but, at least I'm not alone.

Hey it's not all bad, we got the Rockets playing for the national championship on TV - that and a lot of rye will make the time go by lickety split.

I keep seeing tweets and posts about how Willy looked good today. Were saying he was 9/9 in scrimmage. 

Yep, Willy went 9/9 but most of his throws were mid-range, I don't recall him going deep much, or at all.  Some of the other QBs like Yantz went deep quite a bit so those are lower percentage passes.  Tough to compare.

Not surprised about Marve. I think he might have more potential than Willy (not that I think he'll get the chance prove it necessarily).

I don't think a team can ever make him their starter because of the concerns with his knee.  Too risky to build a team around a guy like that, in my opinion.  But man is he ever fun to watch. 

I will never understand these Pro Marve types that are anti Willy at the same time. If Marve wins the #2 gig, good on him, but Willy is our guy. Here's hoping he has an MOP type season in 2015...

Who's anti-Willy? I just think that Marve has the potential to be better than him... And that's not really far-fetched.

I think Marve is going to have to show some pretty significant steps in terms of being able to pass and not just scramble to stay on the roster.  If you can't pass from the pocket you can't play.  Real easy with everyone playing gap control to contain and disrupt a scrambling QB.  Portis is in a similar spot as a guy who isn't a good passer but might bring more as a #3 with his option abilities.

I think Marve is going to have to show some pretty significant steps in terms of being able to pass and not just scramble to stay on the roster.  If you can't pass from the pocket you can't play.  Real easy with everyone playing gap control to contain and disrupt a scrambling QB.  Portis is in a similar spot as a guy who isn't a good passer but might bring more as a #3 with his option abilities.

Marve isn't going anywhere unless he gets hurt. That's ridiculous. 

What? Did you watch practice or preseason at all last season? All I hear about Marve is how well the guy can throw. Marve was the Bombers' best QB in training camp, and maybe even in practice, last season and was very good with limited reps in the regular season. The offence performed incredibly well with Marve at the helm, considering the circumstances (down by 16 against the best team in the league in the first game, awful weather in the second one). They scored 29 points (should've been 36) in the 53 minutes that he played. He was only sacked once during that time, did not throw an interception nor fumble the ball... He basically did everything necessary to win games.

Marve has excellent potential, and frankly, I think it's stupid to suggest he might not stay on the roster.