Rookie Camp Discussion & Reports - Day 1

Mike

Moore plays 18 games (or close to it) and that offense begins to look better. Cotton does what we all know he can, that offense begins to look better. That OL gives Willy the time to do what we know he can do, that offense begins to look better. 

I believe that there are 2 more players invited to rookie camp as development players through the deal with the CJFL (non-counters, not under contract).  Both are players with the Winnipeg Rifles, and will likely return to the Rifles after camp:

Braedy Will    (Safety)

Brad Mikoluff  (Punte)

I got to guest coach at the rifles spring camp this year and let me tell u the Braedy Will could end up on the PR. Best Db out of this Prov in a long time. Very physical and could see him even down in the LB group

I don't know, I thought we missed the sure hands guy on O last year. Moore (when playing) and denmark could stretch the D when needed.

Denmark, Moore and Kohlert are all move the chains, sure hands type guys.  We're really missing a boundary WR.  Moore and Denmark are both ok there, but better suited to the slot.  Based on Adams, Tuinei, Childs, Gettis, Clemons being in camp, that's the spot they are looking to fill.

Having a run game that can break a tackle will open up some space for everyone too. 

I don't know, I thought we missed the sure hands guy on O last year. Moore (when playing) and denmark could stretch the D when needed.

Denmark, Moore and Kohlert are all move the chains, sure hands type guys.  We're really missing a boundary WR.  Moore and Denmark are both ok there, but better suited to the slot.  Based on Adams, Tuinei, Childs, Gettis, Clemons being in camp, that's the spot they are looking to fill.

Having a run game that can break a tackle will open up some space for everyone too. 

I'm big on having a devastating run game and have been for years. When the DBs have to play up tight to the line, suddenly all kinds of room opens up on the medium routes and 10 yard passes become 25 yard gains.

It would be nice to have a guy who can at least push for a few extra yards and make 2nd down more doable.

To me in the CFL its inexcusable if you are second and 8 and you run a draw play and you don't get at least one yard to make it 3rd and short. Too many times over the last few years I've seen the Bombers run the draw on 2nd and 2 or 3 and get half a yard and have to punt. That's got to get fixed. Our line with a good back and well executed blocking should get 2 yards almost every time.

... Richards sure reminds me of Jade LOL ;)

84740_1212407119796_full.jpg

he reminds me of 1998 Matt Stone.

He kind of reminds me of Butthead!

nd3oSq2.jpg

Lol yes! As soon as I saw the video I was in awe of that top cranium and hair.. Couldn't place it until now.. Well played sir. Could etienne be beavis?

Maybe my memory is flawed but I remember many big plays from Denmark. 

I went to the rookie camp yesterday and as most people have already stated, not a lot happened. (I had to sign a waiver form to get in.)

They spent most of the time that I was there running individual drills.  It was hard to see what was going on in the other corners of the field but luckily the WRs were doing their drills right in front of me.

Here are some minor observations that I could make:

1. #15 Toney Clemons might not make it past rookie camp.  He was falling all over the place in his footwork drills and I honestly don’t think I saw him catch one ball.  That’s not good when all you’re doing is route running drills.
  2. Addison Richards and Jordan Reeves are some big men.  Unlike when Jade entered rookie camp, these guys look like they fit in nicely.  (Physically speaking.) I can’t wait to see both of them in main camp.
  3. Buck Peirce looked good tossing balls to the RB’s. :)