CFL proposed rule changes for 2015

gbill2004

I wish they would have waited at least one more year to see if the lower scoring was a continuing trend or a blip due to expansion before implementing some of the more drastic changes.

Wonder how many will stick and which ones will revert back next season.

ver

Very reactionary decision making. Scoring is down for one season and full blown panic set in.

Honestly! Full blown panic?! Am I missing something? Where are the huge groundbreaking changes? The biggest change is to the convert, which is what, 5% of the game?

The change to how defensive backs can play against receivers is one that should have happened long ago, along with the refs putting the ball into play quicker. Everything else could be changed and any other year, no one would blink. Is everyone really that opposed to changing where converts are scrimmaged or is it something else? Because I'm not seeing it. It will still be CFL football.

I wish they would have waited at least one more year to see if the lower scoring was a continuing trend or a blip due to expansion before implementing some of the more drastic changes.

Agreed. Or at least slowly phase them in slowly over a few seasons.

ver

Very reactionary decision making. Scoring is down for one season and full blown panic set in.

Honestly! Full blown panic?! Am I missing something? Where are the huge groundbreaking changes? The biggest change is to the convert, which is what, 5% of the game?

The change to how defensive backs can play against receivers is one that should have happened long ago, along with the refs putting the ball into play quicker. Everything else could be changed and any other year, no one would blink. Is everyone really that opposed to changing where converts are scrimmaged or is it something else? Because I'm not seeing it. It will still be CFL football.

We won't know for sure until we get through the season on what the impact to the converts are going to be.   Will coaches start running for 2 points more?  How many more misses will there be on the single?  There may be no impact with this, or there may be quite a few if a lot of 7's are turned into 6's and 8's.  

Sure it was rare to miss a single the way the game was played before, but to me a TD is pretty much a gimme 7 points with a chance to turn it to 8 when you needed it.  But that was the point of the convert.  To give you a chance at 2 when you needed it.  Not sure this change was really needed to introduce more misses or more 2's.

The change to PI concerns me a whole lot more.  This is going to either open the game right up (which may or may not be a bad thing), or more then likely you are going to see a plethora of penalties called in the first half of the season before an internal memo is drafted telling the refs to tone down the PI calls because it is slowing down and taking the excitement out of the game.

I don't think I like the changes to punt coverages either.  

Then again maybe I'm just getting to be an old curmudgeon who doesn't need a bunch of offence to enjoy a game.  I like a good defensive battle. Games tend to stay closer, and you always have a chance to pull out a win at the end.  I think this could mean a whole lot more blowouts next year.  I'll take a close game with lower scoring over a blowout any day.

ver

The converts will have a huge impact on the game even if the plays are a small portion of the game, pretty significant effect on the scoreboard which is what really matters.

These changes will slow down the game significantly (tons of penalties on special teams and defenders), which is the opposite of the mandate handed to Glen Johnson and his committee.  This is going to be a horrible season.

They change 3-4 rules every season, so if their plan is to completely change the game, then you can make the arguement they've been doing it slowly over a few seasons.

They change 3-4 rules every season, so if their plan is to completely change the game, then you can make the arguement they've been doing it slowly over a few seasons.

I think the changes they make each year are reactionary and not part of an overall strategic plan.

These rule changes still suck. I don't think there's much reason to go for 1 point converts now. There was already a whole bunch of data supporting going for 2 more frequently, though most of it in the NFL. 

Maybe its just me, but I didn't really think there was a problem with the convert. I feel like the CFL looked at the NFL and decided that since they were evaluating making changes they should too...and then decided to just go out and do it before the NFL did to look cool.

It's not just expansion either, a ton of teams had new quarterbacks this year, a couple others had their regular starters hurt for significant portions of the season. It's really no wonder that offensive production was down last year. I think it was realistic to see it bounce back this year anyway with more experience for some teams new qbs and perhaps better health from Durant and Lulay. 

ver

The converts will have a huge impact on the game even if the plays are a small portion of the game, pretty significant effect on the scoreboard which is what really matters.

These changes will slow down the game significantly (tons of penalties on special teams and defenders), which is the opposite of the mandate handed to Glen Johnson and his committee.  This is going to be a horrible season.

Lol so you're upset because converts will actually be a contested part of the game rather than a pointless, repetitive exercise? Ok, I guess that's your choice.

Personally I thought this past season was horrible, the worst since I've been a CFL fan. The games were sloppy and boring.

I certainly didn't see "defensive battles". I saw poorly played offence more than effective defence.

If they actually call all the PI's these new rules will create, we're in for a long slow season.  If the DB's leave the receivers totally alone, they don't stand much of a chance to make plays and our great game will end up looking like an NBA game.  All offence.  No defense.  The last team with the ball will end up winning.  For us who like defense, it's a real shame.

If they actually call all the PI's these new rules will create, we're in for a long slow season.  If the DB's leave the receivers totally alone, they don't stand much of a chance to make plays and our great game will end up looking like an NBA game.  All offence.  No defense.  The last team with the ball will end up winning.  For us who like defense, it's a real shame.

Yep if it's an uncontested offensive game it's not exciting. One of the things that makes football great is one side winning those individual physical battles. A receiver making a great catch with e DB all over his back. Now we'll see some minor contact drawing a flag and teams will move 20 yards up field for doing nothing. It's a tough physical game, why are we pussifying it like this?

Yep if it's an uncontested offensive game it's not exciting. One of the things that makes football great is one side winning those individual physical battles. A receiver making a great catch with e DB all over his back. Now we'll see some minor contact drawing a flag and teams will move 20 yards up field for doing nothing. It's a tough physical game, why are we pussifying it like this?

This is the rule:

It will allow a defensive player to contact a receiver that is in front of him within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but it will not allow either player to create or initiate contact that impedes or redirects an opponent beyond five yards.

There is nothing there that will prevent D players from making plays on the ball or getting position on O players. Not all plays in the past have had D players restricting the movements of O players. That was still illegal contact. 

Battles for the ball will still be viewed as who has a chance to get the ball. It does not automatically mean interference calls on either side.

​Let's slow down a bit before the panic sets in.

It will not be the flag fest nor the offensive wild spree that is being portrayed.

The players know how to play football…they will adapt.

This is the rule:

It will allow a defensive player to contact a receiver that is in front of him within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but it will not allow either player to create or initiate contact that impedes or redirects an opponent beyond five yards.

There is nothing there that will prevent D players from making plays on the ball or getting position on O players. Not all plays in the past have had D players restricting the movements of O players. That was still illegal contact. 

Battles for the ball will still be viewed as who has a chance to get the ball. It does not automatically mean interference calls on either side.

It will not be the flag fest nor the offensive wild spree that is being portrayed.

Exactly. It might get ugly this season but if cover guys can't adjust then schemes will fill in the void.. What's hilarious is the amount of people who were crying about PI calls and them being missed or miscalled will now be even more cut and dried.. This should be a good thing.. DBs will have to stop cheating and hand fighting or else it will be game over for them..

all people have ever wanted from PI calls is consistency. Changing rules all the time and having the bullshit reviews doesn't add to consistency, it lessens it.

Actually this rule is far more clear cut than the previous system and should be a lot easier for the refs to enforce consistently.

This is the rule:

I believe you are giving CFL refs way too much credit.

Guaranteed the first time a Defensive player jumps up to get a ball and contacts an offensive player while doing so...PI on the D.

Apparently, 'Hand Fighting' will still be allowed and they aren't going to announce the 5 yard no yards calls, they'll just move the ball forward.  It's funny that they know there is a problem with too many penalties which slow the game down, but they don't understand that adding additional things you can penalize the players for is a step in the wrong direction.  

I guarantee that coaches challenges on PI will become almost automatic now. That will make them a farce. Want a free first down in a key situation just use one of your challenge flags and get the almost guaranteed interference call.

I guarantee that coaches challenges on PI will become almost automatic now. That will make them a farce. Want a free first down in a key situation just use one of your challenge flags and get the almost guaranteed interference call.

implying that they aren't already a farce? 

It s all very "forward thinking" and "progressive" but slapping another layer of rules into the laps of officials who have trouble getting the previous rules called correctly is going to defeat the purpose of the suits who decided on this.

32 yd single point on a bad weather day late in the year with everything riding on it is a tantilizing prospect.