Assimilation (We Are Borg?)

Tracker

Here's a thought.  If you think "cowboy church" is silly, don't go.  If you think that regular church is silly, don't go.  But judge not...

I wonder how many folks setting up these churches share the same "to each their own" attitude as you?

Call up a cowboy church and ask if they perform gay marriages? I have a pretty good idea what the answer will be...

WTF does that have to do with anything?

Call up a Chinese restaurant and ask them if they do fondue, if they don't should they be ridiculed on a football forum?

Yes.  Yes they should.

#youdothatfonduethatyoudosowell

Here's a thought.  If you think "cowboy church" is silly, don't go.  If you think that regular church is silly, don't go.  But judge not...

I wonder how many folks setting up these churches share the same "to each their own" attitude as you?

Call up a cowboy church and ask if they perform gay marriages? I have a pretty good idea what the answer will be...

I think a lot of people here are completely not getting it. It's not a physical building or a special kind of religion. Cowboy Church service is just a type of service. It's generally non-denominational. It just has a Western vibe to it. It's horsemen and cattlemen and farmers and such going to a non-denominational church service.

I think a lot of people here are completely not getting it. It's not a physical building or a special kind of religion. Cowboy Church service is just a type of service. It's generally non-denominational. It just has a Western vibe to it. It's horsemen and cattlemen and farmers and such going to a non-denominational church service.

You mean like the kind of churches John Wayne would attend in movies like The Sons Of Katie Elder? I'd love to go to a church like that every Sunday. #shootemups

I've never gone to Cowboy Church service, but I have a lot of friends in the rodeo and at rodeos, they almost always do Cowboy Church on the Sunday morning.....sometimes at Country music festivals, too...

Just an aside but yesterday I saw a You Tube video from 2003 where Rush played The Spirit Of Radio during a concert in front of thousands of people in Toronto. Right beside them they had a washer & dryer going literally feet away onstage. I went WTH? Okay back to Rider bashing....

Call up a Chinese restaurant and ask them if they do fondue, if they don't should they be ridiculed on a football forum?

Who's ridiculing? 

I think organized religion has done far more "evil" in the past 2000 years than it's done good. And the more extreme/peculiar the religion, the more hateful and intolerant they tend to be. 

That's my opinion, expressed respectfully on a football forum. 

Enjoy your Chinese food.

Who's ridiculing? 

I think organized religion has done far more "evil" in the past 2000 years than it's done good. And the more extreme/peculiar the religion, the more hateful and intolerant they tend to be. 

Enjoy your Chinese food.

I am a regular church goer and can readily concede that religions can do and have done wonderful things for humanity. That said, it has been reported that there have been more killing over religious differences (at least that was the excuse) than any other reason.

About 20 years ago, the chief theologian for the Catholic church (Hans Kung) wondered out loud in an interview whether mankind would not have been better off without organized religion. Within 24 hours of the airing of the interview, he was demoted to a small parrish in France.

Religion is not the problem. It happens when politics and religion get into bed together.

Who's ridiculing? 

Enjoy your Chinese food.

I am a regular church goer and can readily concede that religions can do and have done wonderful things for humanity. That said, it has been reported that there have been more killing over religious differences (at least that was the excuse) than any other reason.

About 20 years ago, the chief theologian for the Catholic church (Hans Kung) wondered out loud in an interview whether mankind would not have been better off without organized religion. Within 24 hours of the airing of the interview, he was demoted to a small parrish in France.

Religion is not the problem. It happens when politics and religion get into bed together.

Exactly. Christianity is pretty tame right now, but look at what happened during the Crusades. 

I think it's our responsibility as Canadians to be tolerant, yes, but also skeptical. What people want to do on Sundays is their business -- just don't let them inject their beliefs into policy making, education, government, etc.

Lets not forget registered churches are getting a tax break as well.  

The Crusades were a political and religious response to muslim invasions of the Holy Land that were both centres of faith and commerce.

Christian Europe's counter invasion , but not the attrocities, was completely justified and logical by any standard of the day then or now.

Who's ridiculing? 

Enjoy your Chinese food.

QFT. Unfortunately since the dark ages that has almost exclusively been the case. Even in the recent history of Canada, atrocities such as Residential schools for natives are living proof that politics and religion are a terrible mix.

Yes teaching Indians how to read and write and become productive members of the 20th century society is outrageous.

You may want to brush up on your history, Residential schools punished native children for speaking their first languages, often with beatings, starvation,denials of medical and dental care, and frequent sexual abuse. At that time, natives were forbidden to wear regalia in public, perform traditional ceremonies, or even gather outside of reserves in groups of more than 2 at a time. Families were destroyed by children having little contact with their families in the formative years from 6 to 16.

There were some kind and gentle people staffing the schools, but there were a lot of monsters as well. There is even evidence that disease-carrying blankets were handed out to native communities in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. You may also want to read the comments may by John A. McDonald about his plans for natives.

You may want to brush up on your history, Residential schools punished native children for speaking their first languages, often with beatings, starvation,denials of medical and dental care, and frequent sexual abuse. At that time, natives were forbidden to wear regalia in public, perform traditional ceremonies, or even gather outside of reserves in groups of more than 2 at a time. Families were destroyed by children having little contact with their families in the formative years from 6 to 16.

There were some kind and gentle people staffing the schools, but there were a lot of monsters as well. There is even evidence that disease-carrying blankets were handed out to native communities in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. You may also want to read the comments may by John A. McDonald about his plans for natives.

Yup I have an aunt who is deaf and is now suffering early on-set dementia from all of the beatings and head traumas she suffered at a residential school. When I hear her stories I can't even imagine stuff like that happened in this country. Just heart-breaking.

Who's ridiculing? 

Enjoy your Chinese food.

Most religions, faiths are not the issue, it's what some people bring to these that cause problems. i.e., if one brings violence and hatred to something, it's on the person, not the religion.

Yes teaching Indians how to read and write and become productive members of the 20th century society is outrageous.

One of the best books I ever read in the subject is Kiss of the Fur Queen by Tomson Highway, 

Not for everyone's taste (strong homoerotic theme) but the picture he paints is compelling. 

And yeah, while you won't find me peeing and moaning for "an inquiry NOW", I do think the residential schools was one of the darkest chapters in Canadian history.

Yep, sorry Zontar, not to pile on but... you clearly don't know what you're talking about in this instance. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just thought "Schools = Good".

You know what,I'll take a stand and say residential schools were a not terrible idea that was just handled really poorly. Should a just assimilated everyone from the start then there'd be a lot less problems with reserves

Who's ridiculing? 

Enjoy your Chinese food.

Exactly. Christianity is pretty tame right now, but look at what happened during the Crusades. 

I think it's our responsibility as Canadians to be tolerant, yes, but also skeptical. What people want to do on Sundays is their business -- just don't let them inject their beliefs into policy making, education, government, etc.

Lets not forget registered churches are getting a tax break as well.  

I see, so religion should not inject their beliefs on society but your beliefs regarding gay marriage must be supported by them?

Anything else your highness?

Yep, sorry Zontar, not to pile on but... you clearly don't know what you're talking about in this instance. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just thought "Schools = Good".

You know what,I'll take a stand and say residential schools were a not terrible idea that was just handled really poorly. Should a just assimilated everyone from the start then there'd be a lot less problems with reserves

It's fair to say the intended purpose of the schools wasn't a terrible idea. But if even half the things we know about residential schools here in Manitoba are true, then the people operating them were some of the worst kind of human garbage on the planet. Forcibly removing kids from their communities to systematically rape, abuse, and indoctrinate them is not handling a situation poorly, it's committing a crime against humanity. As earlier posters have alluded to, the wounds inflicted upon students and their families fester to this day.