Kevin Glenn's future

BigBlue

but again no one is saying "let's bring Glenn in to win us a Grey Cup"... what we're saying is hey, Glenn is a lot more proven than any of our backups, if we need to use him for a stretch he's a better option than the backups. Hell he might even be better than Drew Willy at this point, but I like Willy and don't really want to get into that argument here.

And people are responding by saying he's proven to be mediocre. That's all he's proven in his CFL career. So why not go with someone who has yet to prove what they can do, but have looked decent/exciting in their limited time? 

We all know what KG brings to the table. And it isn't good enough to get the team to where everyone wants to get to as a back up or starter, even while playing with teams that were arguably better than the current bombers. Brohm looked decent and even Marve played well against calgary late last year (cgy's effort suspect in that game). So why settle? when you need to move past mediocre. Mediocre (like has been said on this topic already) should no longer be an option to this franchise.

Because some people are tired of rushing quarterbacks gambling that they can be good when in reality gambling and rushing qbs usually ends in disaster.

I'm interpreting the use of the word 'rushing' as if a team didn't 'rush' a QB, then different story in how he pans pans out.

I'm sure you'd agree though that sometimes, not always, but sometimes QB's not consistently playing to level needed to stick in this league (or being an Elite QB) has nothing to due with rushing them.

It has to do with them not being good enough to play at a certain level (e.g., Max Hall comes to mind for not Sticking and Kevin Glenn comes to mind in not being an Elite CFL QB).   

but again no one is saying "let's bring Glenn in to win us a Grey Cup"... what we're saying is hey, Glenn is a lot more proven than any of our backups, if we need to use him for a stretch he's a better option than the backups. Hell he might even be better than Drew Willy at this point, but I like Willy and don't really want to get into that argument here.

And people are responding by saying he's proven to be mediocre. That's all he's proven in his CFL career. So why not go with someone who has yet to prove what they can do, but have looked decent/exciting in their limited time? 

We all know what KG brings to the table. And it isn't good enough to get the team to where everyone wants to get to as a back up or starter, even while playing with teams that were arguably better than the current bombers. Brohm looked decent and even Marve played well against calgary late last year (cgy's effort suspect in that game). So why settle? when you need to move past mediocre. Mediocre (like has been said on this topic already) should no longer be an option to this franchise.

Because some people are tired of rushing quarterbacks gambling that they can be good when in reality gambling and rushing qbs usually ends in disaster.

I'm interpreting the use of the word 'rushing' as if a team didn't 'rush' a QB, then different story in how he pans pans out.

I'm sure you'd agree though that sometimes, not always, but sometimes QB's not consistently playing to level needed to stick in this league (or being an Elite QB) has nothing to due with rushing them.

It has to do with them not being good enough to play at a certain level (e.g., Max Hall comes to mind for not Sticking and Kevin Glenn comes to mind in not being an Elite CFL QB).   

I would like you to name me ONE backup QB that is elite. I don't think anyone here, in this entire thread has suggested that. When first or second year QBs are thrown into the position of having to be number one...that is generally a recipe for disaster. Not always, but more often than not.

Unless you come across the next Ricky Ray, it is always a good idea to very tightly control a young QBs exposure to playing time. Very,very few QBs careers end up being long after being thrown into the fire early.

I would like you to name me ONE backup QB that is elite. I don't think anyone here, in this entire thread has suggested that. When first or second year QBs are thrown into the position of having to be number one...that is generally a recipe for disaster. Not always, but more often than not.

Just to be clear, all I'm suggesting with Kevin Glenn is when he was a starter wasn't good enough to be tagged with the Elite status. As for your statement about first or second year QB's being thrust into a starter role when not ready, yes, sometimes it would have turned out different for them if patience was shown. The big however is sometimes first or second year QB's simply are not good enough to stick regardless of how much patience was or wasn't shown. I'm just suggesting we can't generalize the impact of thrusting someone early in their career into a starters role as the main reason for their demise.   

Just to be clear, all I'm suggesting with Kevin Glenn is when he was a starter wasn't good enough to be tagged with the Elite status. As for your statement about first or second year QB's being thrust into a starter role when not ready, yes, sometimes it would have turned out different for them if patience was shown. The big however is sometimes first or second year QB's simply are not good enough to stick regardless of how much patience was or wasn't shown. I'm just suggesting we can't generalize the impact of thrusting someone early in their career into a starters role as the main reason for their demise.   

Ok sure....however, no matter how you cut it, whether it's lack of skill or being sent out too early, I think we can agree that the career success rate of first or second year QBs being thrust into a starting role is not great.

Holy crap, this thread is still a thing?  Oh wait...

Best thing about Brohm signing IMHO is folks can stop arguing about Glenn.  

Can.  But won't.

It's pretty straight forward.  If you make a list of the best QBs in the CFL that aren't starters as of right now, number one should say Drew Tate.  If it doesn't, it's because you don't like Drew Tate.  Number 2 should say Glenn.  The only reason not to is maybe you caught a bad case of LeFevour last season.  I'd have him at 3, but the further down the list we go the smaller the sample size for evaluations gets.  Those are the easy ones.  I'm not wasting a second of my life thinking about whether Beck was better than Doege.

(This is the point where Floyd will declare that Tanner Marsh is the best backup in the CFL, cause that's the most Floydian thing he could do - never change)

Tate was not a free agent.  Glenn was.  I like Brohm, but to put him any higher that 6th on that list means I'm lying to myself (and 6th might still be generous).  That list will move around once the season starts and some starters get hurt, but right now as subjective as it is it's still pretty clear.  Once Ray misses 5 games and Harris gets an extended chance, that may change.

Whoever signs Glenn starts the season with the second best second string QB in the CFL on their roster.  Any argument against that is going to ring pretty hollow.  And it blows my mind that some people aren't willing to give Glenn the title of "second best second string QB", like that's some kind of huge claim to fame.  That's a lot of baggage to carry around for one football player not involved in a felony.

The point always was that the Bombers committing in February to being in a position where they are one hit away from Marve as the starter and Portis as the backup was a big flashing red light and something that needed to be addressed.  Now it has been.

I am pleased with the amount of logical thinking on the subject of KG.

Just say no to KG. Just say no to being average.

Mercifully with broham back in the fold, the talk of KG can ride off to Detroit, like he should be doing..

He WAS a very solid, if unspectacular, QB.. Now.. He's far from solid and is beginning to dip into liability.. He's been a coach killer tho for the last 4 seasons..

I missed where his coaches for the last 4 years have been fired... That Hufnagel sure was killed by Kevin Glenn.....

So all this "Glenn is done" talk comes about because of the playoff game last year? That's the only thing? Holy over reactions Batman.

Figurative..not literal. Like I really needed to explain that to you..

If anyone woulda taken a chance with him as starter last season.. Id bet the coach would have been on thin ice by now, if not canned..

It's ironic but this thread has become as irrelevant as the topic of the thread…Kevin Glenn.

At first, the topic has merit and does well as there is plenty of back and forth and interesting and relevant points are brought up. The topic moves forward and does well.

Then, invariably, it becomes a tired, 2nd rate topic, but hangs in there due to interest from one source or another. There is value in this topic but it fails on many fronts. There is overexposure, miscommunication and evaluations differing by a large extent. Comparable to the laws of diminishing returns.

The topic falls into obscurity and rightly so, only to be reborn as the next best thing to happen on a fan forum.

Or not.

A hot topic, eliciting varying responses, doing little to solve any situation, but there, of some use, in the meantime.

But, like always, it's time to send this topic to the sidelines…until needed again…if needed again.