Stand Pat & Tweak or ... Make Real Changes

BigBlue

The question is NOT what do you think the Bombers SHOULD do BUT what do you think they will do:

Are they going to make small incremental changes going into next year?

or 

Are they going to make some major changes and shake things up a bit?

They have not made the playoffs in a while ... are they just going to add a couple of better cogs to the machinery ... will they think that's enough  to change our destiny?

Edited by BigBlue

They're going to pull the old "We're trying to build chemistry" and bring back a roster that is 75%+ the same players.  Guaranteed.

Because there is nothing like bringing back the same team to improve on a losing record.

Isn't 25% turnover fairly significant?

In 2011 we brought back the majority of the 2010 team and went from 4-14 to 11-7 and a Grey Cup appearance.

I think we will see mostly the same names next year with the exception of our draft picks and few big name free agents. I believe Walters will spend a lot this offseason on Olinemen. Other than that, I'm not sure we will see much more.

Other then draft picks and a few big name free agents, what else does anyone expect?

We won't know anything about the new imports the scouting staff brings in until we are a little ways into the season.

What do I expect them to do?  Stand pat and assume that the decisions they made last year are all the right ones.  

I'll be shocked at this point, and so will Doug Brown, if our OC and DC aren't keeping their jobs.  Neither will suddenly 'Get It' and change the way they've always been.  Our QB will continue to get killed because MB's offensive leaves much to be desired in the protection schemes.  Even Calvillo looked like he was done under a MB offense.  Etch's defense will continue to be weak against the run and we will be told that doesn't matter.

We need to re-sign guys like Wild and Sears just to maintain the current level of the team and we need some better players.  Some will come from the draft, some from the scouting and some from FA.  All places that every team picks from.  We need to do a better job than 6 other teams to move forward in the standings.  

I think we are a lot farther away from a good team than most.  My worry is that the first half of next years season will look a lot like the second half of this years now that the other teams OC's and DC's know what we do.  

They're going to pull the old "We're trying to build chemistry" and bring back a roster that is 75%+ the same players.  Guaranteed.

Because there is nothing like bringing back the same team to improve on a losing record.

Isn't 25% turnover fairly significant?

In 2011 we brought back the majority of the 2010 team and went from 4-14 to 11-7 and a Grey Cup appearance.

25% is significant for a team like the Stampeders who are already good.  It is nothing to a poor team like the Bombers.

The biggest differences between 2010 and 2011 were that Buck Pierce stayed healthy and Tim Burke was miles ahead of Kavis Reed as a defensive coordinator.  We aren't switching out our quarterback or coordinators so it wouldn't be realistic to expect the same turnaround while maintaining a very similar roster.

I see about 20-25 players on the roster who should be sticking around.  The rest need to be upgraded, meaning turnover of 50%+.  But I don't see it happening.

There will be some changes, Not sure exactly what. Perhaps they go after an oline or 2 if guys make it to free agency, I'd suspect if a couple of the guys make it, they will offer them a pretty good deal, will those oline take it? hard to say actually. Takes 2 to make things happen. Bombers could go after both Holmes and Heenan and both might sign elsewhere. Who can honestly say. Will they even still be available come Feb. 

Change 50 percent of the roster? That seems way too high, you just can't do that i don't think, 50 percent of your roster is half your americans and half your canadians or all your canadians and none of your americans or all your americans and none of your canadians. That seems like crazy talk. I think 25 percent is about average in what i'd expect them to change over from this past season.

Maybe 10 or so guys different from this past season. Think that's more realistic. 

There will be some changes, Not sure exactly what. Perhaps they go after an oline or 2 if guys make it to free agency, I'd suspect if a couple of the guys make it, they will offer them a pretty good deal, will those oline take it? hard to say actually. Takes 2 to make things happen. Bombers could go after both Holmes and Heenan and both might sign elsewhere. Who can honestly say. Will they even still be available come Feb. 

Change 50 percent of the roster? That seems way too high, you just can't do that i don't think, 50 percent of your roster is half your americans and half your canadians or all your canadians and none of your americans or all your americans and none of your canadians. That seems like crazy talk. I think 25 percent is about average in what i'd expect them to change over from this past season.

Maybe 10 or so guys different from this past season. Think that's more realistic. 

Why?  Why are we trying to keep a losing team together?  Why are we always so intent on keeping the guys we have when it was obvious they couldn't get the job done?  I came up with a list of 12 Canadians and 13 Americans that are "must-keep", in my opinion.  That leaves room for a ton of roster movement, and I think it would be justified.

Why?  Why are we trying to keep a losing team together?  Why are we always so intent on keeping the guys we have when it was obvious they couldn't get the job done?  I came up with a list of 12 Canadians and 13 Americans that are "must-keep", in my opinion.  That leaves room for a ton of roster movement, and I think it would be justified.

But what you have, especially on the Can. side, is a wish list.

Get rid of 9 o10 Canadians is not possible in nowadays CFL. There are just no qualified substitutes for replacements.

50% import replacement is high also. 25-32 % would be more feasible. (5-8 guys)

Getting rid of players for the sake of getting rid of them isn't a good thing either.   You need to find better players then what you are cutting, or you are no further ahead.

Economically speaking, you can't replace half your roster with free agents, you can't fit that under the cap.  So you need to go with unknown imports if you want that kind of turnover.

Training camp roster sizes are quite large to bring in a bunch of guys to look at, and even then you never really know what you are going to get with someone until they are in a real game scenario. 

You also don't want a large portion of your roster being players who have never played a CFL game before.  That is a recipe for disaster.

Best you can hope for is 3 - 4 impact free agents and 2 - 3 rookie imports to really make your club better.  

Turning over 50% of our Can-con is a sure recipe for failure.

Besides ... Newman, Sherman, JFG, Kohlert, Watson, Bucknor, Jones, Briggs, Pontbriand, Goossen, Neufeld, Greaves, Hajrullahu, Thomas, Lucas, Morley, West ... That's 17 guys right there and while they're not all "stars" you can certainly find roles for them on a roster.

Turning over 50% of our Can-con is a sure recipe for failure.

Besides ... Newman, Sherman, JFG, Kohlert, Watson, Bucknor, Jones, Briggs, Pontbriand, Goossen, Neufeld, Greaves, Hajrullahu, Thomas, Lucas, Morley, West ... That's 17 guys right there and while they're not all "stars" you can certainly find roles for them on a roster.

This seems about right.

Now you just need an OC n DC that can put them and help them in their roles to be a success. Im not convinced we have that. 

We are going to stand pat and I expect another mediocre season.  O'Shea will not admit that his coordinator choices were weak, so he's going to carry on.  I expect, at best, that we end up making the playoffs and losing in the semi-final.  And I think that's a rather generous "best case".

It seems that the longer we wait, the higher the probablility that the usual suspects in the Bomber coaching ranks will return, and I see that as bad news. Yes, we have a nucleus of decent Canadian players, but the coaching is still suspect and the NIs overall are sub-par. O'Shea's epitaph might read "He stood by his men". (with due respects to Tammy Swinette).

Coaching is a bigger problem than talent for the Bombers IMO.

I disagree with that statement. This team doesn't have enough talent in some areas for me to think coaching is the bigger problem. They need a talent upgrade on the offensive and defensive lines and receiver before I say coaching is more of a problem than talent.