Maurice Leggett signs contract extension

blitzmore

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blue-bombers-sign-safey-maurice-leggett-to-contract-extension

he Winnipeg Blue Bombers today are pleased to announce the club has signed their 2014 Most Outstanding Defensive Player, Maurice Leggett, to a contract extension. The agreement will keep Leggett in Winnipeg through the 2017 campaign.

Leggett finished his first season with Winnipeg in 2014, and made an immediate impact in the secondary upon his arrival. He finished second in the league with five interceptions (tied), including three in one game (Aug 22). He also recorded three fumble recoveries, 65 defensive tackles, and two sacks. In addition, he returned a missed field goal 114-yards for a touchdown in an October game in Ottawa.

“I love being a Bomber,” said Leggett. “From the community aspect and the amazing fan support, to the coaching staff and all of teammates, and how the organization treats us as players. It's an amazing experience to be in Winnipeg and play football professionally, and you only understand that once you spend time there.”

“Maurice came in early on and established himself as a real pro,” said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “It was evident quickly that he could be an impact player for us, and his play spoke to that throughout the season. He works hard, studies and understands the game like a starting safety should. He’s also a versatile football player, who can play special teams and return some kicks if we need, which we saw evidence of this season. He’s an all-around good asset for our organization and we’re very happy to get him under contract for the next three seasons”

Am I right in thinking that the benefit to these signings now is that signing bonuses count on the 2014 payroll leaving extra cap space in 2015?

It may. But who knows if we had THAT much cash laying around.

The real idea is that you spend a bit now (whether it's 2014 + 2015) in return for the three years of control. With a minimum contract being one year now in the CFL, you're going to pay for extra years.

Am I right in thinking that the benefit to these signings now is that signing bonuses count on the 2014 payroll leaving extra cap space in 2015?

The real idea is that you spend a bit now (whether it's 2014 + 2015) in return for the three years of control. With a minimum contract being one year now in the CFL, you're going to pay for extra years.

Good point. You don't really hear about this much anymore but it struck me as Walters has been signing guys early. Tamen used to do that a lot didn't he?

The timeline he's on right now probably makes his next contract the big payday if he ever lands one in the CFL, so hypothetically we're putting off that pay raise from 2016 to 2017.  I wish they signed more players to 3 year deals.  If we had a talented NI Olineman with a bright future, I'd be thrilled if they did 4 or 5 year deals.  But the PA tends to frown on those.

This place is getting a bit needlessly ****-ish lately.

How many current players have three year deals? It can't be a common occurrence...?

Allow me to speculate using my limited knowledge and love of conspiracies. Walters signs all these guys early paying their signing bonus in 2014. That leaves extra cap space in 2015 to front load a contract and big signing bonus for Heenan. ;)

This place is getting a bit needlessly ****-ish lately.

How many current players have three year deals? It can't be a common occurrence...?

Allow me to speculate using my limited knowledge and love of conspiracies. Walters signs all these guys early paying their signing bonus in 2014. That leaves extra cap space in 2015 to front load a contract and big signing bonus for Heenan. ;)

It isn't, but Leggett isn't the only guy in the league.  This is all anecdotal, but my recollection is that mid-seasons contract extensions turning the current year into part of a 3 year deal are more common than an outright 3 year deal offered to a pending FA.  But I could be entirely wrong, it's just an impression I have.

Good point. You don't really hear about this much anymore but it struck me as Walters has been signing guys early. Tamen used to do that a lot didn't he?

Taman used to do something similar, although most guys were only signing 1+1 (which was effectively a 2 year deal, always hated that 1+1 term) deals back then.

If I had to guess, Walters is offering one thing to guys who are signing deals similar to Leggett - more money in their second season of the rookie deal. In return for the immediate raise that they are not owed, Walters is asking for term.

As long as he's reserving it for the guys who deserve it and isn't handing it out to every Kenny Mainor, EJ Kuale or Brandon Stewart, it's very smart GMing.

Yeah, that's probably the most important information (to me) coming outta all this. The fact that he's willing to sign a big extension backs up the very positive things he has to say about the organization as a whole. This seems, to me, that the culture change is really happening...

Yeah, that's probably the most important information (to me) coming outta all this. The fact that he's willing to sign a big extension backs up the very positive things he has to say about the organization as a whole. This seems, to me, that the culture change is really happening...

If I wasn't so busy drinking my Blue Margaritas, I would have noticed that I pressed the quote button instead of the like button. 

But i rectified that…I switched to Blue Kool Aid.

It just came to me.

Sheesh.