Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

As to the trade.. Meh, ****** for ****** and while both are Canadian, I'm not sure if Emry is still a game breaker and I know Foley ain't lol

Foley is an idiot and a d-bag but I think you are undervaluing him. He had 54 tackles and 12 sacks last season. Willis had 32 tackles and 13 sacks, Chick had 45 tackles and 13 sacks.

As to the trade.. Meh, ****** for ****** and while both are Canadian, I'm not sure if Emry is still a game breaker and I know Foley ain't lol

Foley is an idiot and a d-bag but I think you are undervaluing him. He had 54 tackles and 12 sacks last season. Willis had 32 tackles and 13 sacks, Chick had 45 tackles and 13 sacks.

*shrug* we will see how he does on a less talented Dline in Toronto.. I think he's more so a solid tackler who is on a pretty good Dline..

Foley is expensive and has probably peaked. Emery was supposed to be a "difference maker" for TOR and wasnt, 

Agreed.  I guess we are rolling the dice that Emry will regain the form from the Allouettes when inserted back into a pressure defence, which TO was not running. 

Too bad more Priders arent taking a wait and see approach. Its a "win" for Taman because Emery is 28. Forgetting he hasnt been an impact player in years.

This is how I'm going about it. Emery was invisible in Toronto, so it really is hard to tell how he will do here. He is now on a better team defensive wise though, which could help him improve, but I'm not holding my breath until I can actually watch him play.

So Foley is an Argonut once again. Probably doesn't mind the trade, although I don't think he's any better off. Going from the rabid fans in Regina and a lot of rah rah, to back playing in the ghostly silence of the 'Mall' called skydump. He might have preferred making his own choice by waiting till fa but I guess Taman schmoozed him into signing, so he could pull the pin on the trade. Such is the world of football sometimes.

Word was Foley was not happy... According to Brendan Taman. 

So Foley is an Argonut once again. Probably doesn't mind the trade, although I don't think he's any better off. Going from the rabid fans in Regina and a lot of rah rah, to back playing in the ghostly silence of the 'Mall' called skydump. He might have preferred making his own choice by waiting till fa but I guess Taman schmoozed him into signing, so he could pull the pin on the trade. Such is the world of football sometimes.

Of course he wouldn't be happy, he fly's under the radar here while Chick faces a double team on every play. Big fan of his as mentioned earlier he is a very sure tackler. Bottom line is the Dline, while very good, isn't getting any younger. T George and Chick are both north of 30 also. At some point we needed to stick some youth in there or face the inevitable all rookie line 2 years from now. The money is about the same from what I hear. There is a risk here but I believe it will pay off. With Foley you know what you have, a warrior who never ever takes a down off out there, and takes very few penalties. Truth is Foley may only have one more year left, maybe two. With Emry, he has many years to play yet, is mean and nasty, does take some penalties. Emry also shores up a huge hole in our defence, MLB has been a glaring weakness for the riders since Rey Williams went down a year and a half ago.  Much like the Picard move, moving out a high paid aging starter to get younger. Not sure either team won or lost in this trade but it was a move we had to make. The Riders are a better team today with Emry than they were yesterday without him.

No sympathy for Foley here. I'm no fan of B.C., but it was Foley who left Buono at the altar in 2010. Foley agreed verbally to the Lions before ditching them for the Argos.

Why not resign a player so he is more marketable as trade bait?

Because it's basically like slapping that player in the face?

You have to have a lot of goodwill built up to be able to pull off moves like these without getting a bad reputation from players.  And I think Taman will be okay because Sask seems to be fairly highly regarded by players right now.... otherwise I'm not sure he would pull off a move like this.

Couple things I find interesting about this one.

Saskatchewan was very much in the Shea Emry race last year during free agency. They weren't willing to go as high as Toronto. Wonder what changed now.

Emry may be better than Foley (I agree with it) but this really does nothing to alleviate Saskatchewan's ratio issues. They get a bit younger, but they still need to slot in another Canadian somewhere if they lose Heenan. A rotation of Ainsworth and Lee likely won't cut it in 2015.

Players and coaches understand that it is a business. If you are worried about someone being upset about being traded you are clearly in the wrong business.

Yeah you're right.  No GM's ever consider players' perception of them.  That's why they never let players out of contracts early to sign in the NFL.