O'Shea hands away the LDC

White Out

Again, it came down to our defense having to stop them & they failed. It's not about a gutsy or cowardly call. It's not about a young coach playing not to lose instead of playing to win. There are 3 phases to a football team, O, D & ST's. Our defense failed to rise to the occasion when they had to. That's what ultimately lost us the game. Our D let them run all over them. The Riders marched 75 yards on that last drive. Mostly on the ground.

its much harder to stop a team on the last drive with the game on the line when the QB starts running and they go from 2 downs to 3 downs. Oshea should have tried to go for it on 3 and 1 and if successfull the Bombers probably win the game...

Kuale sucks so much it drives me insane. How Fraser gets a start under the guise that "we won so things don't need tweaking" and Kuale subs in for literally no reason sets a very bad precedent. The best players should play. Period.

Agreed not sure how Kuale gets in when Vega doesn't ? It seems to me that Ian Wild didn't play after he got banged up on the Messham TD I don't recall him playing after that.

Again, it came down to our defense having to stop them & they failed. It's not about a gutsy or cowardly call. It's not about a young coach playing not to lose instead of playing to win. There are 3 phases to a football team, O, D & ST's. Our defense failed to rise to the occasion when they had to. That's what ultimately lost us the game. Our D let them run all over them. The Riders marched 75 yards on that last drive. Mostly on the ground.

its much harder to stop a team on the last drive with the game on the line when the QB starts running and they go from 2 downs to 3 downs. Oshea should have tried to go for it on 3 and 1 and if successfull the Bombers probably win the game...

Maybe. It still was the right call.

Post game inteview, O'Shea was more upset about his decision to give up the 2 pt. safety in the first half than his decision to kick the F.G.  He put the game in the hands of the D. to stop the Riders and they couldn't do it.  As Doug Brown said if they would have played a conventional balanced front 7 against the run they would have had a better chance of stopping them but with Etch he never plays it straight even when the D he's running is ineffective.

Post game inteview, O'Shea was more upset about his decision to give up the 2 pt. safety in the first half than his decision to kick the F.G.  He put the game in the hands of the D. to stop the Riders and they couldn't do it.  As Doug Brown said if they would have played a conventional balanced front 7 against the run they would have had a better chance of stopping them but with Etch he never plays it straight even when the D he's running is ineffective.

Etch's scheme gives a chance to win every game. We have the talent in the secondary and on the d line but our lb corps is lacking. This is still a rebuilding year, as much as everyone doesnt want to hear that. Shalom

And I'll say it again for the even slower people. Giving up a high % play for a small lead with ample time left is what put a sloppy defence on the field. They failed and we're in a position to fail because oshea didn't have the jam to to for it in a near sure conversion situation.

Considering that the team was pretty good on D all game and has been decent throughout the year and the teams biggest weakness is being able to get the hard yards when they're in short yardage I think you are assigning too high a % for success. Remember this team has failed to convert 3rd and 1 multiple times against worse defenses than the Riders. Nothing is guaranteed in football, all you can do is make plays when you are put in a position to do so and the defense utterly failed at the end of the game.

I would have gone for the 3rd down gamble personally, but that's just my attitude, I didn't have a problem with O'Shea taking the lead and trusting his defense to win the game for him. They had many chances to make it happen and didn't c'est la vie.

Except that Messam already had multiple double digit runs so it was pretty clear the run game, in particular Messam, was not going to be stopped.

And though 3rd and shorts have been an adventure this season today the Bombers executed very well and got good pushes on their gambles.

Finally, O'Shea has done a great job reading games and trusting in the D when they are stopping the opposition. Today he simply had too much, unfounded, faith in the D.

They should have went for it. Even if they don't get the touchdown they leave far less time on the clock.

D played quite well today all things considered... Especially in the second half, sure they had breakdowns at times but so did sask's D, that's football. 

Not sure what the point of the thread title is, i'd assume it's trolling of some kind but...bombers played a damn good game in a pretty hostile yet fairly quiet environment for 55 minutes..

I could ***** about the non PI call that in a way cost us 7 points and if you think about the game, 37-35 bombers? Yup, in a way that non call cost us the game... pretty blatantly obvious PI there on kelly... 

Could ***** about the holdings and the offsides the riders constantly got away with... yup sure did, lots of times. Probably counted 7 or 8 non calls vs the riders this afternoon. Pretty obvious on the TV too, these weren't wearing blue googles obvious calls either, these were very obvious calls that i'm sure made CFL fans watching countrywide, outside of sask, go WTF...

Could ***** about not going for it on 3rd and 1, what a bad spot though, that was more than 1 yard and on replay looked like he was short by like a football length but nope, spotted more than a yard away from the stick, IMO, smart call kicking the FG there.. D was playing lights out for a bit there, leave it in their hands and they crumbled.. could ***** about a few of those non calls on sasks last drive too... that lead directly to big gains for the riders.. but nah, won't do that. Did that in other threads already :P

All I'll really say is... 37-35 with that PI call on the opening drive in our favour.. 35-30 with it not, It is what it is.. and what it is was the most exciting game of the CFL season so far, yup we lost but.... we never win in Regina so,  really is anyone honestly that surprised? not sure why some are saying we should have gone for it.. so say we do go for it on 3rd and like 1 and a bit, (brutal spot) and we get stuffed? Riders are winning 28-27, they march down field and score and it's either 31-27 and we need a TD to win  or( because they did score the td) it's 35-27 and we need a touchdown and 2 point convert with 30 seconds left just to tie. 

It almost seems like a few people saying if we score there we win 37-35 are forgetting that at the time it was 28-27 riders.. lets say we did score the TD instead of the field goal , 27 + 7 = 34. Riders still win 35-34 cuz they did come down and score a TD

It was a good game and i'm not gonna blame anyone really cuz both teams showed up and played a great game, we have played this "great oustanding" according to everyone rider team and could have won both games, we didn't but... really, 

History lesson for those who forget so quickly

Last year on this day.... it was 48-25 riders. We have come along way in a years time. Last year, the team gave up, this year they fought right till the end and i'm gonna say it.. In my opinion, destiny wanted the bombers to win 37-35, that's what i feel the final score should have been, but not cuz we would have gone for it on 3rd and a long long 1 but because of that opening drive non PI call.. Gonna say it, 30 more seconds on the clock, we win 37-35. Because that's what the score  was supposed to be. BOy that call pissed me off, and in the end, that non call cost us the game really. Assume that we get the call on the opening drive here for one second, its 37-28 and the riders need to score twice in the last 2 minutes to win. BRUTAL BRUTAL NON CALL. 

Hell, let's assume we don't score the td on the opening drive but instead kick a fg, it's 33-28 now and the riders NEED the  td to win... NEED it, maybe our D plays a little bit differently knowing the riders can't win the game on just a fg but instead they need the touchdown to win. Man, that non PI call really did screw us over a wee bit if you really think about it. 

D played quite well today all things considered... Especially in the second half, sure they had breakdowns at times but so did sask's D, that's football. 

Not sure what the point of the thread title is, i'd assume it's trolling of some kind but...bombers played a damn good game in a pretty hostile yet fairly quiet environment for 55 minutes..

I could ***** about the non PI call that in a way cost us 7 points and if you think about the game, 37-35 bombers? Yup, in a way that non call cost us the game... pretty blatantly obvious PI there on kelly... 

Could ***** about the holdings and the offsides the riders constantly got away with... yup sure did, lots of times. Probably counted 7 or 8 non calls vs the riders this afternoon. Pretty obvious on the TV too, these weren't wearing blue googles obvious calls either, these were very obvious calls that i'm sure made CFL fans watching countrywide, outside of sask, go WTF...

Could ***** about not going for it on 3rd and 1, what a bad spot though, that was more than 1 yard and on replay looked like he was short by like a football length but nope, spotted more than a yard away from the stick, IMO, smart call kicking the FG there.. D was playing lights out for a bit there, leave it in their hands and they crumbled.. could ***** about a few of those non calls on sasks last drive too... that lead directly to big gains for the riders.. but nah, won't do that. Did that in other threads already :P

All I'll really say is... 37-35 with that PI call on the opening drive in our favour.. 35-30 with it not, It is what it is.. and what it is was the most exciting game of the CFL season so far, yup we lost but.... we never win in Regina so,  really is anyone honestly that surprised? not sure why some are saying we should have gone for it.. so say we do go for it on 3rd and like 1 and a bit, (brutal spot) and we get stuffed? Riders are winning 28-27, they march down field and score and it's either 31-27 and we need a TD to win  or( because they did score the td) it's 35-27 and we need a touchdown and 2 point convert with 30 seconds left just to tie. 

It almost seems like a few people saying if we score there we win 37-35 are forgetting that at the time it was 28-27 riders.. lets say we did score the TD instead of the field goal , 27 + 7 = 34. Riders still win 35-34 cuz they did come down and score a TD

It was a good game and i'm not gonna blame anyone really cuz both teams showed up and played a great game, we have played this "great oustanding" according to everyone rider team and could have won both games, we didn't but... really, 

History lesson for those who forget so quickly

Last year on this day.... it was 48-25 riders. We have come along way in a years time. Last year, the team gave up, this year they fought right till the end and i'm gonna say it.. In my opinion, destiny wanted the bombers to win 37-35, that's what i feel the final score should have been, but not cuz we would have gone for it on 3rd and a long long 1 but because of that opening drive non PI call.. Gonna say it, 30 more seconds on the clock, we win 37-35. Because that's what the score  was supposed to be. BOy that call pissed me off, and in the end, that non call cost us the game really. Assume that we get the call on the opening drive here for one second, its 37-28 and the riders need to score twice in the last 2 minutes to win. BRUTAL BRUTAL NON CALL. 

Hell, let's assume we don't score the td on the opening drive but instead kick a fg, it's 33-28 now and the riders NEED the  td to win... NEED it, maybe our D plays a little bit differently knowing the riders can't win the game on just a fg but instead they need the touchdown to win. Man, that non PI call really did screw us over a wee bit if you really think about it. 

I'm not going to jump on the O'Shea hate in this thread, but if you do go for it there and get the first down, it's a different game.  At the time O'Shea made the call I was fine with it.  If we go for it on 3rd and one and get a TD it likely takes more time off the clock, which wouldn't allow the Riders to methodically run the ball down the field the way they did for the game winning TD.  In the moment when it was 3rd and 1 I really didn't know what the right call was and at the time I supported kicking the FG, taking the lead and let the D win it for you.  That's not bad logic. 

Dear dipshit,

If we went for the TD, it tives us 34 points, and we still lose 35-34. Congrats on being a total dipshit, you win a slap upsode the head. Message me to collect your prize

One thing you are forgetting here is the intangible. O'Shea keeps saying how much faith he has in his team but when the crunch comes he throws his faith in away. We can't say they would have scored because it never happened but they would not have had the time they got to do it. I don't think your comment was appropriate. This is a forum. 

Dear dipshit,

If we went for the TD, it tives us 34 points, and we still lose 35-34. Congrats on being a total dipshit, you win a slap upsode the head. Message me to collect your prize

One thing you are forgetting here is the intangible. O'Shea keeps saying how much faith he has in his team but when the crunch comes he throws his faith in away. We can't say they would have scored because it never happened but they would not have had the time they got to do it. I don't think your comment was appropriate. This is a forum. 

How did he throw the faith away? He said to the team, Ok take the lead and defense go win the game. He showed complete trust in his defense to win the game. They failed. 

Dear dipshit,

How did he throw the faith away? He said to the team, Ok take the lead and defense go win the game. He showed complete trust in his defense to win the game. They failed.

it's called interpretation and perspective. One could also see it as "I'm not sure how much faith I have in us getting one yard therefore I chose we kick and rely on our prevent defense" but at the end of the day none of us are in O'Shea head to really know that.

Etch's scheme gives a chance to win every game. We have the talent in the secondary and on the d line but our lb corps is lacking. This is still a rebuilding year, as much as everyone doesnt want to hear that. Shalom

Secondary is good, but we could use another Nose Tackle and a dominant DE. We also need to keep Kromah in with Wild at WLB. Etch is to stubborn to admit his D doesn't work and will keep going like this untill he gets fired

Dear dipshit,

Or he could have said OK guys I know you can do it, get a first down and let's kill the clock as much as we can before either kicking a field goal or a TD than the defence will do its thing with the little time left.

I think that Bryant and Kuale are O'Shea mistakes, but I don't think the 3rd and 1 is.  If we go for it and don't make it, the game is pretty much over right there and we lose.  Kicking the FG gets us the lead and puts Regina a long way away from the red zone.  If it's a half yard instead of a full yard, then sure... go for it. 

Dear dipshit,

Maybe more of a misguided trust in Etch by MOS to call the right defense & get it done. Players don't scheme, coaches do. And if they are playing in a defense that isn't working or has players playing out of position & not to their strengths, that's Etcheverry's fault. The failure to not stop the run the entire game is on his shoulders. 

I think that Bryant and Kuale are O'Shea mistakes, but I don't think the 3rd and 1 is.  If we go for it and don't make it, the game is pretty much over right there and we lose.  Kicking the FG gets us the lead and puts Regina a long way away from the red zone.  If it's a half yard instead of a full yard, then sure... go for it. 

Agreed Tom.

Kuale is a massive personnel mistake and its really starting to haunt the bombers. Romby Bryant is just an expendable hobo (who still has some decent speed) and will probably draw into the lineup if Moore is down again. Bombers don't seem to have much interest in bringing more players into town - however, circumstances change and if the riders shellack our side next week, I'm sure some 'air-lifting' is in the near future. Guys like Alex Hall who has the focus of a Henry Burris (ie. poor) is talented. Chris Matthews is an upgrade over Bryant but I don't know if he's on McManus's list! A monster DT (even one that gasses out) should be a priority cuz our guys are getting road-graded by the better o-lines. Even if we lucked out on H Muamba I don't think he'd make that much of a difference in an Etcheverrian defense. Better than Kuale and Kromah, you bet but tackling 8 to 12 yards downfield isn't a difference-making tackle.

Dear dipshit,

Maybe more of a misguided trust in Etch by MOS to call the right defense & get it done. Players don't scheme, coaches do. And if they are playing in a defense that isn't working or has players playing out of position & not to their strengths, that's Etcheverry's fault. The failure to not stop the run the entire game is on his shoulders. 

Listening to Doug Brown talk about it on the post game show multiple weeks now you can tell he does not like the Etchevary defense one bit. He's said more than once that he's not even lining up guys with a chance to stop the run. 

Dear dipshit,

Dear *****,

If the Bombers get a pretty casual 1st down and drain more clock, the Riders have less time and force Durant to throw the ball. Totally different ball game.

Love,

People who have watched football their whole life.

The thing that I like about Etchs D is that all of the different alignments make it difficult for offences to key on weak spots. Remember a few years ago when Labbe got owned by Whitaker at the MLB spot...in a traditional 40 set, (4 down lineman and 3 backers) I dont believe our D would be effective at all given our personnel and the ratio...ie having to start Thomas on the line and Sherman at WIL. They are doing well in this system but would be owned in a system like Burke's for example.

Etch's system seems to smooth over those weak spots...given our National personnel and the limited depth...its a great system....but...on the last drive I noticed and even Brown noticed that we weren't lining up 2 DT over the centre...result being huge runs right up the gut.

I commented some time ago that not going after Ted Laurent a National DT and upgrade to our National DT depth...was a mistake because we needed to start 2 Nationals on D and our depth was Thomas and Richardson at DT...no matter what system you run on D...if you're not strong up the middle you will get owned...Etch's apparent disregard of this simple fact is the most troubling aspect of D IMHO

Well overall I thought the officiating was terrible, and not just on the field. Does anyone know an email I can send my complaint to? That non PI call on the first drive was far more blatant than the Bucknor one in Toronto that was called. A hand in the back (Bucknor) that you couldn't see vs a swat down on the left shoulder/arm of a receiver PLUS a push Out-Of-Bounds prior to the ball getting there - insuffiicent evidence? 

What I'd like to know (and I know still to this day it happened in Ritchie's time) is what the officials have against the Bombers? I know we get some calls our way too, and personally I'm not going to moan about the missed holding calls (Herman TACKLING Anderson on the last drive that the receivers were also off side on was the most obvious - the Wild hold on the Sk TD was in the middle of the play and just missed I get that - but that one not called??? really?????????) as shite happens like that. 

However, I'm proud of the way we played - I watched the whole game (was at a family bbq so I pvr'd it and stayed up till 4 am) and we hung in to the end. At the beginning of year, that's all I asked for, vs last year's debacle (and the year before) where most games, especially the Labour Day one - were over by the 1st quarter. 

Yes SK fans - you got us twice now, but compared to last year - we're coming, and we coming fast. Enjoy while you can as next year, the officials won't be able to help you either.