The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 9

Mike

Bad

- Desia Dunn's blitzing - either go for the sack or contain... don't run, stop and put your hands up

You know what a screen pass is right? Every time you were bitching about that in the chat room it was on a play where the als were letting guys get in the backfield then dumping the ball in behind them. That's no on Dunn, that's on Montreal taking advantage of the blitz with a play designed to exploit it. Not much Dunn can do but stop and get his hands up. He's not getting to the qb so try and disrupt the throw any way possible. You don't like it take it up with Etch. 

Lotta crap in this game overshadowed by a late win vs by far the worst team in the league. Not sure we deserved it, and fairly certain we'll get drilled by Sask, but I'll take 6-3 over 5-4,that's for sure...

call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Als wind up 2nd in the east. Hamilton doesn't impress me, especially with all their qbs out and in a contest between a team with a very tough defense and no offense vs. and all around bad team like Ottawa give me the team that at least has the D. 

Lotta crap in this game overshadowed by a late win vs by far the worst team in the league. Not sure we deserved it, and fairly certain we'll get drilled by Sask, but I'll take 6-3 over 5-4,that's for sure...

call me crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Als wind up 2nd in the east. Hamilton doesn't impress me, especially with all their qbs out and in a contest between a team with a very tough defense and no offense vs. and all around bad team like Ottawa give me the team that at least has the D.

I wouldn't be surprised either, they have a capable QB now, and that defence is super tough

Bad

- Desia Dunn's blitzing - either go for the sack or contain... don't run, stop and put your hands up

You know what a screen pass is right? Every time you were bitching about that in the chat room it was on a play where the als were letting guys get in the backfield then dumping the ball in behind them. That's no on Dunn, that's on Montreal taking advantage of the blitz with a play designed to exploit it. Not much Dunn can do but stop and get his hands up. He's not getting to the qb so try and disrupt the throw any way possible. You don't like it take it up with Etch. 

That's my point.  When you send your LB, he needs to get to the the QB fast otherwise you get victimized by the screen... Wild was good at that when he was OLB, Sherman is pretty good at it, Dunn is not.  He ends up too deep for contain but doesn't get any real pressure either.

Where's Aaron Kelly?  Romby Bryant's been more productive in the last 3 weeks, and he didn't even dress tonight.

Really felt for AK or more so his parents. They were in the stands last night and he only had 1 pass thrown his way all night. He didn't make the catch but the P.I. call got us a first down and a smile on his dad's face.

I wouldn't be surprised either, they have a capable QB now, and that defence is super tough

Until a good defense has several games worth of film to watch...

The bad:

Our offense for most of the game

PI or not PI?  Should be called by the refs, not reviewed upstairs.  Two weeks in a row marginal ones got called upstairs.

Punting out of the endzone twice.  Could have cost us big time.

Ping off the uprights on short FG's.

I thought punting out of the end zone was a good call considering the opponent (especially on the first one with Brink still in the game). The odds of Montreal scoring a TD were low...an FG is only one point more than a safety.  The Bombers were lights out on kick coverage all night.

The bad:

Punting out of the endzone twice.  Could have cost us big time.

I thought punting out of the end zone was a good call considering the opponent (especially on the first one with Brink still in the game). The odds of Montreal scoring a TD were low...an FG is only one point more than a safety.  The Bombers were lights out on kick coverage all night.

Totally agree. You're guaranteeing them 2 points and the ball if you concede. A punt forces them to work to get anything.

Unless it's the last minute of a half, or there's a huge wind, I would punt too.

Yeah I'm not sure where Suiter got his hate for the Bombers from, but it was nauseating listening to him go on about the Als this the Als that.

Lucky for the win, but I'll take it.

Not to mention going on and on about every single coaching decision.  Especially the punts out of the end zone.

Bad

That's my point.  When you send your LB, he needs to get to the the QB fast otherwise you get victimized by the screen... Wild was good at that when he was OLB, Sherman is pretty good at it, Dunn is not.  He ends up too deep for contain but doesn't get any real pressure either.

you can't get to the qb fast when he's just back pedalling to set up that very play. The problem here isn't Dunn, it's that the other team sees the play coming a mile away and has a play called to counter it. 

Bad

you can't get to the qb fast when he's just back pedalling to set up that very play. The problem here isn't Dunn, it's that the other team sees the play coming a mile away and has a play called to counter it. 

I know you're not a fan of Etch's schemes - but when executing that play, you need Brandon Isaac or a Craig Butler type, someone who can come in like a bullet and commit to pursuit.  Dunn runs, pauses, runs, pauses... the Grigsby of linebackers.

I'm just not a fan of the way he plays, would way rather see Wild-Kromah-Sherman(Sears) on the field for the whole game

Ugly:

Tom Higgins.  He was awful tonight.  Didn't challenge the Randle one which probably would have drawn a cheap flag, and then challenged the one after. 

Is not that call from someone in the booth watching the replay who then relays it to the coach?

Might as well call MOS on the challenge that on a replay screamed out DON'T CHALLENGE THIS ONE!

Both good and bad,,,we won but we beat an Eastern team that does not play in Toronto,.

O'Shea explained in the CJOB post-game show that he knew he wouldn't get that call but he wanted to slow down the Als momentum and give his D a breather.

In addition to the injured player break time? Hate to waste a challege on that.

Bad

I know you're not a fan of Etch's schemes - but when executing that play, you need Brandon Isaac or a Craig Butler type, someone who can come in like a bullet and commit to pursuit.  Dunn runs, pauses, runs, pauses... the Grigsby of linebackers.

I'm just not a fan of the way he plays, would way rather see Wild-Kromah-Sherman(Sears) on the field for the whole game

and there's the crux of the issue, you just don't like the guy for some unknown reason. He's a fine player. The problem is that play is designed to put the blitzing linebacker in a no win situation. He keeps after the qb the ball is dumped behind him, he backs off the qb keeps it himself. There's not much you can do when the offense has the right play called to counter the defense you have. 

Say what you want about Etch and his schemes, but the results this year have been great.  There was only two (?) big plays that I can remember - Carter's run and Sutton's - and Sutton's would have been smaller had we wrapped up at any of the many opportunities we had.

I think Etch has done outstanding work.

Derek Jones saw a opportunity for a block on film this week went the coaches and they took a shot at it. Love hearing about that sort of thing.

good story, thanks. That was a fantastic play.

I say, that's outstanding...no way we win the game without that play.

That play is specifically designed to against the very style of play you're proposing.

It's a counter play schemed to draw the opponent in and complete the play behind him.

Exactly... It's designed to take advantage of the blitz.. It's not like they were fluking into it.. The play is going to punish the blitz 9 times outta 10..

Being a rookie H.C. I think O'Shea has to learn to coach conservatively and patiently and wait for breaks to happen instead of tempting fate by taking unnecessary risks.  If either one of those punts from the end-zone or the fake punt play to Sherman ends up in a TD for the Als it would be deemed a needless risk to take in a tight game that could go either way.  IMO you don't worry about giving up 2 pt. safeties in the first half if it is the smart play to make.

I'm wary of O'Shea coaching like he has a potent offence that can get the Bombers back into games, because at this point he doesn't and I hope he's aware of that.  The BB seem to have the ability to squeak out victories but recently the offence has not shown the ability to light it up on demand and a 14 pt. deficit may well be lights out for them.  It might work against weaker opponents but If he continues to take chances in the second half of the season some of the Western rivals could put the Bombers down on the canvas by capitalizing on his needless gambles.