The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Week 9

Mike

Bad

- Desia Dunn's blitzing - either go for the sack or contain... don't run, stop and put your hands up

You know what a screen pass is right? Every time you were bitching about that in the chat room it was on a play where the als were letting guys get in the backfield then dumping the ball in behind them. That's no on Dunn, that's on Montreal taking advantage of the blitz with a play designed to exploit it. Not much Dunn can do but stop and get his hands up. He's not getting to the qb so try and disrupt the throw any way possible. You don't like it take it up with Etch. 

That's my point.  When you send your LB, he needs to get to the the QB fast otherwise you get victimized by the screen... Wild was good at that when he was OLB, Sherman is pretty good at it, Dunn is not.  He ends up too deep for contain but doesn't get any real pressure either.

you can't get to the qb fast when he's just back pedalling to set up that very play. The problem here isn't Dunn, it's that the other team sees the play coming a mile away and has a play called to counter it. 

I know you're not a fan of Etch's schemes - but when executing that play, you need Brandon Isaac or a Craig Butler type, someone who can come in like a bullet and commit to pursuit.  Dunn runs, pauses, runs, pauses... the Grigsby of linebackers.

I'm just not a fan of the way he plays, would way rather see Wild-Kromah-Sherman(Sears) on the field for the whole game

and there's the crux of the issue, you just don't like the guy for some unknown reason. He's a fine player. The problem is that play is designed to put the blitzing linebacker in a no win situation. He keeps after the qb the ball is dumped behind him, he backs off the qb keeps it himself. There's not much you can do when the offense has the right play called to counter the defense you have. 

The crux of the issue is that Desia Dunn is slow and hesitates... a lot.  I don't like that - I'm sure he's a fine person and all.

Maybe he is a 'fine' player... just not as good as Wild, Kromah, Sears or Sherman

Being a rookie H.C. I think O'Shea has to learn to coach conservatively and patiently and wait for breaks to happen instead of tempting fate by taking unnecessary risks.  If either one of those punts from the end-zone or the fake punt play to Sherman ends up in a TD for the Als it would be deemed a needless risk to take in a tight game that could go either way.  IMO you don't worry about giving up 2 pt. safeties in the first half if it is the smart play to make.

I'm wary of O'Shea coaching like he has a potent offence that can get the Bombers back into games, because at this point he doesn't and I hope he's aware of that.  The BB seem to have the ability to squeak out victories but recently the offence has not shown the ability to light it up on demand and a 14 pt. deficit may well be lights out for them.  It might work against weaker opponents but If he continues to take chances in the second half of the season some of the Western rivals could put the Bombers down on the canvas by capitalizing on his needless gambles. 

The decision to punt is more a confidence in his defence then offence.  If you give up the safety you are giving up 2 points and giving them the ball back.

If you punt, you are believing that your defence can at least hold them to a field goal.

So far it has been working well for him.  Will they give up the TD one of these times?  Sure, but I prefer the more aggressive believe your D can get the stop approach.

I think you see him give up the safety if we either have a large lead where the points don't matter so much, or we are against a heavy wind.

Being a rookie H.C. I think O'Shea has to learn to coach conservatively and patiently and wait for breaks to happen instead of tempting fate by taking unnecessary risks.  If either one of those punts from the end-zone or the fake punt play to Sherman ends up in a TD for the Als it would be deemed a needless risk to take in a tight game that could go either way.  IMO you don't worry about giving up 2 pt. safeties in the first half if it is the smart play to make.

I'm wary of O'Shea coaching like he has a potent offence that can get the Bombers back into games, because at this point he doesn't and I hope he's aware of that.  The BB seem to have the ability to squeak out victories but recently the offence has not shown the ability to light it up on demand and a 14 pt. deficit may well be lights out for them.  It might work against weaker opponents but If he continues to take chances in the second half of the season some of the Western rivals could put the Bombers down on the canvas by capitalizing on his needless gambles. 

The decision to punt is more a confidence in his defence then offence.  If you give up the safety you are giving up 2 points and giving them the ball back.

If you punt, you are believing that your defence can at least hold them to a field goal.

So far it has been working well for him.  Will they give up the TD one of these times?  Sure, but I prefer the more aggressive believe your D can get the stop approach.

I think you see him give up the safety if we either have a large lead where the points don't matter so much, or we are against a heavy wind.

Coaches who give up safeties for no good reason should be shot out of the old Bomber canon.  Stupid beyond stupid.  I have never in my life seen that happen in the NFL, and it's not because the field goals are 10 yards further back.  Giving the opposition points and possession?  That's not being conservative, that's grounds for being fired.

And the pass to Sherman wasn't a trick play; Montreal made a huge mistake by forgetting to put a man across from the gunner.  Hajrullahu is not the passer that Renaud is.

Couldn't help myself, stoked about tonight's win and needed to discuss it. Sorry for stealing the thread from our normal thread starters.

The Good

-- The Maurice Leggett / Chris Randle Connection, teaming up for three tight coverage tip ball interceptions. Leggett is a legitimate ballhawk back there. He's quickly become competition for Tyron Brackenridge as the CFL's best safety. 

-- Ian Wild ... 14 defensive tackles, he was all over the place tonight

-- Abe Kromah was an absolute run stuffer tonight. Just as I predicted before the game, I'll predict it after the game - Kuale has lost his job.

-- Derek Jones ... this guy is turning out to be a steal. Pure hustle player. Blocked punt and a huge block on ST to set up the big Stoudermire return.

-- The tackling tonight ... just to single out a few guys. If Big League Teague keeps up that tackling proficiency (which he lacked heavily earlier in the year) he could be a great NI starter on D for a long while in this league. Randle, Washington and Leggett also all made great strides in their approach to bringing guys down tonight

-- Troy Stoudermire is going to keep Aaron Woods out of the lineup long term if he keeps this up. He's a legit threat to break one.

-- The offense in the fourth quarter ... if we're within a possession late, we always have a chance with these guys

-- Team discipline AGAIN

The Bad

-- Our offense for the first 45 minutes of the game. Playcalling in particular.

-- Nick Moore ... hoping it's just rust, but as of right now, he's a REC2 getting paid like a REC1 and the fumbles aren't helping. Still a fan though, just not a great game.

-- The pass interference nonsense. Hate that this is what the CFL is coming to.

The Ugly

-- The uniforms. Good lord.

-- Matt Bucknor's face after Tyrell Sutton put a palm imprint in it on that stiff arm. That was NOT a good play by Bucknor.

-- Alex Brink. Thanks for coming out.

We're 6-3!

I am really happy to see Kromah play well.

PI reviews need to go away and soon. Challenging judgment calls in slow-motion causes as many or more problems then it solves.

Every teams' offence seems to be lacklustre at times this season. Why? Could be all the penalties being called at inopportune times and the defences seem to be that much better.

I think that Alex Brink was a big factor in the decision to punt. Would O'Shea have punted it away against Calgary or Toronto or any other team with a functional QB?

At that point in the game? Not likely. However, some coaches are loathe to give anything up.

I'll bet he punted cuz Montreals offence was awful for several games, heck they went multiple games without scoring a TD. If that's against Calgary or someone like that, i doubt he decides to punt out... I'm also though under the impression that giving your opponents points is stupid. Make them earn their points.. Don't give them any. Unless, there are crazy circumstances like a big lead or a big wind, neither of which were factors at that point of the game.